Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

✋From Scotland UK

Hummingbird

Reaction score
Hello Captain's from the Highlands. I'm a former pilot and part of the initial British Airways Cockpit Management Program before we found out that jet lag and me don't work and I didn't know if it was New Year or New York (apparently it scares the passengers)!
20yrs later and I have a GoPro Karma. My career incorporates digital media and my wife is in her 3rd year as a photographer. Between us we should be able to get some business as an extra, however it's really expensive in the UK to get Commercial Certification. A mandatory course $1,400 + travel & hotels $420 + mandatory insurance $500 + CAA certificate $290 per annum. Is this the case in the USA? Sometimes I think the price is so high to discourage 'commercial' drone pilots. It also means at least $275p/h, which is a great shame really...

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum, well the US is different, if you can pass the test, cough up 150 dollars, you are a commercial drone pilot. OH, you don't need to know how to fly a drone, no performance evaluation required for the commercial ticket.

Sorry about your jet lag, remember what you don't tell the passengers won't hurt them. Transcontinental Jet lag is terrible, did a little of that in my military days.

Welcome to the forum, well the US is different, if you can pass the test, cough up 150 dollars, you are a commercial drone pilot. OH, you don't need to know how to fly a drone, no performance evaluation required for the commercial ticket.

Sorry about your jet lag, remember what you don't tell the passengers won't hurt them. Transcontinental Jet lag is terrible, did a little of that in my military days.
Thank you. Yes us Brits do tend to make as much legislation as possible for everything, but hopefully once we wave 'Cherio' to the Europeans we can get back to being more sensible.
By all means laws have to be there and it's always the few that spoil it for the many, by saying that, I have seen YouTube videos of drones being shot down in the US and public rage from stupid pervert pots that find it funny and don't realise the implications it causes all of us. However I am surprised it's easier in the US. Do Police actually have powers to stop you flying in public areas?

Depending on the city or county laws, yes they can stop you from flying, but I haven't had that problem. As for the air space, the FAA so far is the only authority on air space and setting restrictions as to where on may or may not fly.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the CommercialDronePilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in the commercial drone field.
Enjoy!

Reactions: Hummingbird

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter