Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

2 Way Radio handheld Receives

Gcarb63

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Looking for a good 2 way handheld radio. What are you guys using?

What is your intended purpose?

For talking to others fairly close to you and minimal obstructions, FRS usually fits the bill and requires no licensing. Midland makes decent units.

I use Midland GXT's:

Got a GMRS license with a call sign from the FCC. Can't remember what it cost but it's good for 10 years I think.

Reactions: Gcarb63

For talking to others fairly close to you and minimal obstructions, FRS usually fits the bill and requires no licensing. Midland makes decent units.
For jobs that lead up to and no more than 1 1/2 miles for my VO.

I use Midland GXT's:

Got a GMRS license with a call sign from the FCC. Can't remember what it cost but it's good for 10 years I think.
Out of curiosity, what’s the license cost ?

For VO coms.

Out of curiosity, what’s the license cost ?
I don't remember, it was 2 years ago. It wasn't expensive and there was no test or anything like the hams have to do. It's just an application and the FCC issues you a call sign.

I only have it for when Mr. Nosey Know It All shows up on site and starts telling me why I can't do what I'm doing.

Reactions: KLAX and Gcarb63
I don't remember, it was 2 years ago. It wasn't expensive and there was no test or anything like the hams have to do. It's just an application and the FCC issues you a call sign.

I only have it for when Mr. Nosey Know It All shows up on site and starts telling me why I can't do what I'm doing.

Yes. I can totally understand and relate. Lol.

I use Midland X-talkers, which are inexpensive, need no license, and seem to be fine. Helpful if I'm shooting a cyclist, people in a boat, etc., so we can communicate about what I need them to do...

I use Midland X-talkers, which are inexpensive, need no license, and seem to be fine. Helpful if I'm shooting a cyclist, people in a boat, etc., so we can communicate about what I need them to do...
Thanks Cary. Looking into it.

Checkout the Zello phone app. It works like a walkie talkie on your own band. That may work for you.

The GXT's I use came with ear clip buds and mic's. That VOX feature is very important for the pilot on the controls, to be able to communicate hands free. You can buy them, but look for a radio set the has the VOX feature and comes with them.
Who makes them ? Is GXT the brand ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905