Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

2019 FAA UAS Symposium | FAA’s Take on Enforcement’s and Illegal Drone Operations

Nice to hear, but hard to reconcile with actual experience.

I reported a fellow who I know is not a 107 license holder (admitted it to me) who has a large YouTube portfolio of commercial work.

In addition I linked to them a video of him flying BVLOS, using goggles, over moving cars and people. He overflies his own house, inserted a text pointer to him and the video ends with him landing the drone in front of him.

FAA says not enough evidence that he was actually the pilot.

I reported a fellow who I know is not a 107 license holder (admitted it to me) who has a large YouTube portfolio of commercial work.

In addition I linked to them a video of him flying BVLOS, using goggles, over moving cars and people. He overflies his own house, inserted a text pointer to him and the video ends with him landing the drone in front of him.

That's correct, you have to have absolute evidence, such as video of him actually flying.
This was told to me by an acquaintance who's with Orlando FSDO.

Yes, the video of him labeling himself with his name and landing in his hand was not enough for the FAA. But then a video was enough for the FAA to fine an 11-year old kind. Weird.

• Wow
Reactions: AH-1G
A very accurate and informative podcast put together by our friends at Drone U
Accurate and informative, indeed! Excellent! Directly from the horse's mouth, definitely stating that the FAA's primary UAS focus is upon education, and NOT upon enforcement, contrary to what all the Typhoid Marys and arm chair FAA "police" keep trying to tell us! The FAA doesn't want your money! Education and training is their primary goal! The FAA also has no police authority, despite all assertions to the contrary!

Last edited:

What? You didn't take his pic at the controls standing next to his home address and showing the license plate on his car?????? How demanding you are! The feds ARE NOT devoting sufficient resources to complaints. I think they have more people doing webinars that actual drone complaints investigators. I am tired of their BS. Go get these turkeys!

That's correct, you have to have absolute evidence, such as video of him actually flying.
This was told to me by an acquaintance who's with Orlando FSDO.
How foolish of me, all those years as a cop spent out in the field when I could have told the victims to investigate and bring me a solid case.I was sooo dumb....

• Haha
If the FAA isn't taking it seriously then I doubt many others will except for people who have ethics already.

If I watch one more FAA webinar about enforcement I will
More accurately, lack of enforcement, and no interest in enforcing! Education and training is the primary FAA goal when it comes to all UAS. They have far bigger fish to fry!

But they are taking it all VERY seriously!!
Paper tigers! How appropriate that it originated by the Chinese characterization of the U.S. government. DJI must be laughing all the way to the bank! ;)
====
"Paper tiger" is a literal English translation of the Chinese phrase zhilaohu (纸老虎/紙老虎). The term refers to something or someone that claims or appears to be powerful and/or threatening, but is actually ineffectual and unable to withstand challenge. The expression became well known internationally as a slogan used by Mao Zedong, leader of the People's Republic of China, against his political opponents, particularly the U.S. government.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91