Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

3d model for building

Jose Luis

Reaction score
Im seeking advise on a flight pattern to capture images for a 3d model of a building or house 2/3 stories high. My models are "okay" but not superb, specially on the edges of a roof which looks like a volcano. Trying to determine if my flight pattern are okay or processing is were Im wrong.

I tried every combination of flight patterns. I stitch images of each pattern separately and merge chunks after processing the dense cloud. Let me know what workflow works the best for you. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
What kind of overlap are you using for the double grid and how often is the camera being triggered during the litchi orbit?

It looks to me like you just need a lot more overlapping oblique shots. The roof looks very good. GCP's would help with elevations if you're talking about measurements.

When you say you stitch images of each pattern separately and merge after processing what is the reason for this? I'm assuming it helps the processing churn faster to keep in smaller chunks? I'm not an expert here but wonder if the stitching would improve if all processed together?

Correct it’s a lot faster as I can finish a model like this in 2 hours tops. Also read somewhere that by processing separately it introduces less errors, but I’m no expert in this area.
Ill try to increase overlaps on the orbit, that might help. Are you suggesting gcp as markers or with coordinates?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905