Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Aerial Mapping app

Edward S Horvath

Reaction score
Website
www.trmvc.com
Hello
I've been using the free Drone Deploy app to fly missions the last few months, mostly to help learn.

I am needing to put into work mapping apps and software, so I can download the map image produced into GIS or other mapping software.

What do you all use? DD pro? Ground Station Pro? Recommendations and prices? Does Ground Station Pro do the same as DD? Are there better options?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
-Edward

I've been using Map Pilot by Maps Made Easy. Good oaths and 3d files. I also use the product from MME in QGIS for developing contour maps, profiles, etc.

^^^^^^^^^
And that is someone who has made a LOT of maps. @Richard R and @Meta4 are Mapping GuRus IMHO.

Reactions: Edward S Horvath
I've been using Map Pilot by Maps Made Easy. Good oaths and 3d files. I also use the product from MME in QGIS for developing contour maps, profiles, etc.
I've heard different sides to MME.

Thank you. Does this work with NDVI camera, or with a drone with out a camera?

I use Drone Deploy, has always worked well for me. I do a 145 acre site once a month of a construction site. I'm mapping from 300 feet, with 65/75 overlap and get very good results.

Reactions: BigAl07
I'm using the paid version, I work for Multivista out of Sacramento, they have several drones using Drone Deploy. I can't compare it to other mapping software because I've only used Drone Deploy. What my primary client likes about the results is that each pixel once stitched will give the GPS location making it very accurate. They have several surveyors and they use they seem very happy with the results.

Reactions: Clinton Carman
I've heard different sides to MME.

Thank you. Does this work with NDVI camera, or with a drone with out a camera?

While Drone Pilot is primarily for DJI aircraft, the MME processing doesn't care which camera you use. It can read the camera info such as focal length, etc. from the exif file or it can be manually entered.
I mentioned it in another thread, but I would like to again thank the MME folks. I did a section on aerial photogrammetry in a STEM class I taught this year at a local high school. The students programmed and then flew their missions using Map Pilot and the MME folks were willing to let the students each create their own account and upload and process their maps. We used both the orthomosaic photos and the 3D to make measurements to compare with with their ground measurements. Then I had them use qgis to generate and evaluate contour maps from the MME files. Couldn't have done it without MME so, again, a big Thank You to them. I also had them using Litchi to capture panorama photo with the panoramas created in Google Photos. In case you didn't know, if you upload photos into Google Photos that have very close locations in their exif files, GP will automatically generate a panorama from them. does a pretty decent job. Certainly more than adequate. For my STEM class.

Last edited:
...I work for Multivista out of Sacramento...
I see your location is listed as Coulterville, but cool that you work in Sacramento! I live in Lincoln and am starting to use drones to do 3D mapping of fire scenes.

...each pixel once stitched will give the GPS location making it very accurate. They have several surveyors and they use they seem very happy with the results.
What drone are you using that will tag the GPS location like this?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Yes one of our offices in Sac, the other in San Francisco. Most people have never heard of Coulterville, it's an old gold mining town.

I work at UC Merced only, I don't venture up north too often. If you are ever down this way I'll take you out on the job site and give you a demo of the mapping I do. I do mapping once a month, and that is the last week of the month.

I know a lot of the CDF guys because I did some flying with them years ago, they aren't too keen on drones. I hang out at the Columbia airport at times chat with some of the CDF guys that are flying the S2s, better known as the Stuff.

If you are mapping fire areas we will be having plenty around here very soon, never fails as soon as the green is gone the fires start. Have you been up and seen the aftermath of the Rim fire buy Yosemite, the destruction it caused is incredible.

Yes one of our offices in Sac, the other in San Francisco. Most people have never heard of Coulterville, it's an old gold mining town.

I work at UC Merced only, I don't venture up north too often. If you are ever down this way I'll take you out on the job site and give you a demo of the mapping I do. I do mapping once a month, and that is the last week of the month.

I know a lot of the CDF guys because I did some flying with them years ago, they aren't too keen on drones. I hang out at the Columbia airport at times chat with some of the CDF guys that are flying the S2s, better known as the Stuff.

If you are mapping fire areas we will be having plenty around here very soon, never fails as soon as the green is gone the fires start. Have you been up and seen the aftermath of the Rim fire buy Yosemite, the destruction it caused is incredible.
I'm interested!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC