Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Air Map loses LAANC?

JimD

Reaction score
I heard this and was unable to get an auth with them.
Is true?

Last edited:
I don't know. But Airmap's (which is a venture capitol entity, btw) business plan of being the airspace custodian was served a huge helping of arsenic when the FAA decided not to implement UTM as part of RID despite huge lobbying. I'm sure the investors are getting tighter with their checkbook and perhaps Airmap has to cut some non-revenue generating operations. All conjecture on my part.

Screenshot 2021-09-17 13.55.jpg

I just tried to gain approval in DFW, something I've always received immediate approval for. I got a message saying LAANC was not available at this time and to try later. I sent them a message via their contact link.

Fortunately I have CoA's for all airspaces in the Metroplex but DFW and Alliance (both LAANC). If Airmap stops supporting free LAANC it'll give me ammo for getting CoA's for both airspaces.

I just tried to gain approval in DFW, something I've always received immediate approval for. I got a message saying LAANC was not available at this time and to try later. I sent them a message via their contact link.

Fortunately I have CoA's for all airspaces in the Metroplex but DFW and Alliance (both LAANC). If Airmap stops supporting free LAANC it'll give me ammo for getting CoA's for both airspaces.
Turns out Airmap is no longer on the FAA's list of LAANC providers. Good riddance!

Reactions: dronecyclops
Thanks for the link - made it faster for me to see the list. Does anyone have experience with the other providers? I have only used AirMap to this point and it seemed easy enough that I didn't want to switch. Old age and all...
I've been using Aloft. Drawing the flight area's kind of a pain when you're somewhere that the default area overlaps another grid square, but otherwise it works pretty well.

Thanks for the link - made it faster for me to see the list. Does anyone have experience with the other providers? I have only used AirMap to this point and it seemed easy enough that I didn't want to switch. Old age and all...
Try Air Hub AirHub for Pilots™ - Airspace Link
I switched to them from Airmap a while back because their interface is way quicker and easier to use.

Reactions: CentralVAphoto
What really stinks about Airmap is they're not telling why approval is not coming through. I just set up a test flight on Airmap in Class D and got this response:
Hello,
You've received a new notification from the Airspace Management Dashboard:
FAA Controlled Airspace Authorization is not available at this time. Please try again soon.

Then I put the same flight in Airhub and got instant approval. I wonder how many pilots are now waiting for an approval from Airmap that will never happen.

I believe in another drone group that yes this was happening. Kind of stinks but you might have to use Aloft as a backup currently.

Until the FAA stops issuing them, I'm going to continue renewing mine. One less thing to worry about for each flight.

Until the FAA stops issuing them, I'm going to continue renewing mine. One less thing to worry about for each flight.
I shoot in a pretty large region with just one Class D airport, so haven't thought about CoA's until this thread. Is it an onerous process, or something pretty straightforward? I don't want to hijack this thread - is there another thread on this forum about the process of obtaining a CoA?

I shoot in a pretty large region with just one Class D airport, so haven't thought about CoA's until this thread. Is it an onerous process, or something pretty straightforward? I don't want to hijack this thread - is there another thread on this forum about the process of obtaining a CoA?
Easy process. Last turnaround was 10 days. I applied a month before mine last current one expired.

Reactions: CentralVAphoto
Yes I saw that I much prefer air map I like their web interface. It’s good for getting authorizations in advance.

I'd genuinely like to know how you guys can support AirCrap after the things they have openly done to restrict our access and then attempt to charge us for said access.

Does this not leave a sour taste in your mouth for them? Regardless if their interface is prettier and seems to work better you're literally supporting an organization who wants to cost you $$ going forward.

Spend a few minutes reading this thread and pay special attention to Post #45

I look forward to hearing what you'll think after reading the thread :)

Allen

I'd genuinely like to know how you guys can support AirCrap after the things they have openly done to restrict our access and then attempt to charge us for said access.

Does this not leave a sour taste in your mouth for them? Regardless if their interface is prettier and seems to work better you're literally supporting an organization who wants to cost you $$ going forward.

Spend a few minutes reading this threadand pay special attention to Post #45

I look forward to hearing what you'll think after reading the thread :)

Allen
First of all if I was paying them anything I could see your point but since I’m not paying them anything how much am I really supporting them?

If I stop doing business with companies that pulled shenanigans with the FAA and drones I would definitely have to stop doing business with Amazon and the goog because I’m sure they had their fingers in the pie as well. Perhaps in a different area but still not really to our advantage.

i’m actually glad they pulled their little play because it sets a Precedent for “ you can’t do this.”
I mean come on one of the basic principles of capitalism is do all you can to make the most money.

Cigarettes? Perfectly safe. Don’t cause cancer don’t make you sick.

Oxyie ? Not addictive perfectly safe. Hand it out like candy.

I mean in the grand scheme of things it wasn’t THAT evil. And it totally failed because it was ridiculous.

It was actually most likely one particular idiots failed idea.

I’m just mostly not an activist consumer. If you start killing dogs well maybe so, But just a money grubbing greedy stunt I mean that’s how we roll.

It’s not even that I agree with it, I really don’t, it’s just how it is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM