Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Airspace Authorization 1 mile outside of major class B?

Noxid86

Reaction score
Hello, I'm flying in Chicago under part 107 and have yet to need Airspace Authorization. My boss wants a shot in a couple of months that is 1 mile outside of the O'Hare runway. Those plane are going to be coming in super low that close and so I have two questions.

1 ) Am I screwed?

2 ) If not, what can I do to increase my odds of getting authorization? I know they have laanc now but i have not used it and given this busy airspace I feel that the FAA wants to see how I'm going to mitigate safety risks. Even if I apply for under 100ft I'm sure the FAA wants to know how I would handle a fly away.

Advice?

Thanks!

I suggest you got the LAANC route and see what is allowed there. Anything else is guestimate and you might get lucky (don't count on it though).

The caveat to your initial comment is "In a couple of months"... you need to get to it NOW because it could take longer than that if it gets denied.

Yes, try LAANC first. I use it all the time and have yet to be denied.....but I haven’t tried any 0 grid squares yet. I’ve read where people have gained approvals in 0 grids....the keys are altitude and time. Keep your altitude as low as possible....like 75’ or lower.....and the time window as tight as possible.

Reactions: Krvelasco
We have a project that's just off the end of one runway and it's a ZERO grid but we have approval up to 100'. We set our Max Alt and RTH alt to just under that so that "technology" doesn't kick in and get us into trouble LOL.

Thanks for the responses folks, this is useful. I actually was unaware of the facilities maps until I saw you using the term "zero grid" ( like i said ive never had to apply for airspace auth before ) and I found my location. It's grid 100. I'm guessing we are going to be getting our hair cut by low planes. 1451

Thanks for the responses folks, this is useful. I actually was unaware of the facilities maps until I saw you using the term "zero grid" ( like i said ive never had to apply for airspace auth before ) and I found my location. It's grid 100. I'm guessing we are going to be getting our hair cut by low planes. View attachment 1451

They will be fairly low but keep in mind that the "Authorization Altitude" allowed does give sufficient separation between sUAS and Manned Aircraft.

Also it's VERY important to note that altitude in any "Grid" is absolute. You can not fly above that altitude unless it's a Life or Death Emergency (and I don't mean for the drone LOL). If you deviate due to some type of emergency you are expected to REPORT it immediately to the facility at which you are flying.

For instance let's say you're flying in a 100' grid and you have a building you want/need to document but it's 89' tall. I'd venture to bet that just 11' above the building isn't going to give the perspective or angle that you would like. In other areas (not in a grid section) you have the allowance to go up to 400' over the structure (so long as you're within 400' laterally of the structure) but you can NOT MIX & MATCH when flying within a grid area. Your altitude is ABSOLUTE so you have to find a way to work within that limit or apply for a higher allowance (don't hold your breath there).

They will be fairly low but keep in mind that the "Authorization Altitude" allowed does give sufficient separation between sUAS and Manned Aircraft.

Also it's VERY important to note that altitude in any "Grid" is absolute. You can not fly above that altitude unless it's a Life or Death Emergency (and I don't mean for the drone LOL). If you deviate due to some type of emergency you are expected to REPORT it immediately to the facility at which you are flying.

For instance let's say you're flying in a 100' grid and you have a building you want/need to document but it's 89' tall. I'd venture to bet that just 11' above the building isn't going to give the perspective or angle that you would like. In other areas (not in a grid section) you have the allowance to go up to 400' over the structure (so long as you're within 400' laterally of the structure) but you can NOT MIX & MATCH when flying within a grid area. Your altitude is ABSOLUTE so you have to find a way to work within that limit or apply for a higher allowance (don't hold your breath there).

Yeah I was actually confused about how the grid spaces work. It says 100ft ceiling, does that mean that the airspace in question is the operable airspace of the drone? Your answer implies yes. I was expecting to see the 100ft listed as the floor of the airspace above me, but then we are already in controlled airspace so... yeah lol this is confusing me. Regarding the hard ceiling, thank you for this very important detail. Apparently we are in fact shooting a building so this could be problematic.

Yeah I was actually confused about how the grid spaces work. It says 100ft ceiling, does that mean that the airspace in question is the operable airspace of the drone? Your answer implies yes. I was expecting to see the 100ft listed as the floor of the airspace above me, but then we are already in controlled airspace so... yeah lol this is confusing me. Regarding the hard ceiling, thank you for this very important detail. Apparently we are in fact shooting a building so this could be problematic.

The # in the grid (for instance 100 in your grid) is the HIGHEST AGL that you can expect an "Easy" approval. It's really just a guideline so that you don't go into the system and request 400 AGL in a 100 AGL grid. It's not set in stone but its a very good template to possibly save you some time and effort.

If you need 150' in a 100' grid then go ahead and submit for that. But I strongly advise you to decide up front what the lowest possible altitude you can work with and submit for that. Asking for 400AGL in a ZERO grid is most likely going to get rejected right off the bat.

That’s a good point @BigAl07 makes....the altitude is absolute and the 400’ above and 400’ around a structure does not apply.

The system is automated and certain conditions will trigger a rejection. Requesting an altitude above the grid square altitude will almost always trigger a denial. Just resubmit with a lower altitude. If you’re close to an adjacent square and it’s possible you might transgress, get approval for that square too.

Thanks for the responses folks, this is useful. I actually was unaware of the facilities maps until I saw you using the term "zero grid" ( like i said ive never had to apply for airspace auth before ) and I found my location. It's grid 100. I'm guessing we are going to be getting our hair cut by low planes. View attachment 1451
You are golden (unless you need higher approval). File that LAANC today!

Reactions: BigAl07
Be sure to register for this if you are not familiar with FAM.
How to Navigate UAS Facility Maps
August 1, 2019 4 P.M. ET

this is helpful too....
blob:https://www.faa.gov/ec70e7df-75b9-49aa-9142-3e50702af0d1

resources...

If I'm rejected can I just re-apply with a lower altitude?
Yes, have all your bells and whistles in place, you may want to mention you'll also have a visual observer.
If you can obtain a handheld aviation radio, this would be beneficial.
When I do apply through LAANC I always end with a thank you.
BTW, I have flown twice in 0 altitude corridors, max given was 50'.
Oh and another, I mention in my app, I have my pilots license too, this seems to give them reassurance I know what I'm doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
I am surprised no one here has mentioned DroneZone for higher altitude authorizations. You can get higher than grid altitudes with an airspace authorization through DroneZone. You will want to coordinate with tower the day of the flight once you have the approval. In my case, I have height approvals above grid, I call the tower 30 minutes prior to be sure we're all good, and they request I call them once I'm landed. I've flown at 125' in 0-grid areas legally, and 400' in 250' grids legally. Just ask, coordinate, and be polite. You probably won't get more than 150 feet above grid, especially in close proximity, but you just need to be specific in your request.

Reactions: UpperAerialVision
Am I supposed to be in contact with the tower throughout the flight? or is it just a check in call to make sure somebody didnt forget about me? Calling the tower at O'Hare seems tricky.

Hello, I'm flying in Chicago under part 107 and have yet to need Airspace Authorization. My boss wants a shot in a couple of months that is 1 mile outside of the O'Hare runway. Those plane are going to be coming in super low that close and so I have two questions.

1 ) Am I screwed?

2 ) If not, what can I do to increase my odds of getting authorization? I know they have laanc now but i have not used it and given this busy airspace I feel that the FAA wants to see how I'm going to mitigate safety risks. Even if I apply for under 100ft I'm sure the FAA wants to know how I would handle a fly away.

Advice?

Thanks!
Not impossible. We have secured several clearance within a mile of class bravo airports like Newark and La Guardia.
Just explain in the procedures how your at going to avoid flight paths. Multiple runways? Explain how you will only fly when the runway is not in use. Explain that you will listen to ATIS and tell them the frequency you will monitor. Give them your number. And pick up the call when they call you. They are calling you to test the number and assure communication. Mention that you are aware that your flight can be canceled or denied at any time.

Luis
www.UpperAerialVision.com
[email protected]

Am I supposed to be in contact with the tower throughout the flight? or is it just a check in call to make sure somebody didnt forget about me? Calling the tower at O'Hare seems tricky.
The directions and number should be on your waiver. Have your waiver confirmation number ready and be prepared to write. Most like you won’t have to write anything down. But just Incase they give you another number to call to end your flight.

It will expedite this if you cut & paste your authorization for all here to see and answer your questions. Waivers and authorization are not the same. Do you have an authorization on hand?

It will expedite this if you cut & paste your authorization for all here to see and answer your questions. Waivers and authorization are not the same. Do you have an authorization on hand?

I have no applied yet, still trying to find the right software to use ( apparently several only work with iOS ).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905