Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Airspace Question

Kelly

Reaction score
I am looking at a job that is within the airspace of an airport that is class E from the surface. This airport sets at an elevation above 400 ft. of the job site. Am I legal or not?

A class E surface area will extend to the ground, to the lateral boundaries of the area, regardless of the difference in elevation between the airport and the surrounding area.

However, check the Airport/Facility Directory for the airport. You may find something like AIRSPACE: CLASS E svc 1200–0400Z‡ other times CLASS G. In which case the area would become class G during the specified hours.

Last edited:
I am looking at a job that is within the airspace of an airport that is class E from the surface. This airport sets at an elevation above 400 ft. of the job site. Am I legal or not?
The elevation of the airport is not a factor and does not impact your flight.
You may not fly in Class E airspace without authorization.
With the information given, you are not legal to fly.

Reactions: Russ Still
Geez guys, I thought you were on my side. lol Thanks for the help. I had looked at the airport directory as ZALO had mentioned and there is a notation,
Class E svc 1100-0300z Sun-Fri, 1200-2300z Sat other times Class G. Looking at all of this, I'm thinking I'm good from 6pm Sat till dark.
The airport is KJHW
N42.09.20 W79.15.48

I'm thinking I'm good from 6pm Sat till dark.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that there is a 4 hour time difference between Zulu and Eastern Daylight Time, so Class G starts after 7pm EDT on Saturday and continues all day Sunday. It appears that the airport is part of the LAANC network, so you may be able to get low altitude permission for flights around the area without a lengthy permit process.

Reactions: BigAl07
I stand corrected! You are right, its 4 hrs at EDT. I thought it was the other way around. However, being that I have all day Sunday, I'll just do it then. Thanks again for all the help.

Reactions: UAV_Mapper
JAMESTOWN
CHAUTAUQUA CO/JAMESTOWN (JHW)(KJHW) 3 N UTC–5(–4DT)
AIRSPACE: CLASS E svc 1100–0300Z‡ Sun–Fri, 1200–2300Z‡ Sat other times CLASS G.
Base on today's sunrise/sunset you could fly from 6:41 AM (sunrise) until 6:59 AM Sunday thru Friday and on Saturday until 7:59 AM. With anti-collision lights you could go a half hour earlier. On Saturday you could fly from 7:01 PM until 7:55 PM (sunset), or a half hour later with the lights. I don't see where all day Sunday is an option.

I might be wrong, and I only glanced at this feed. Many airports are controlled airspace and then a COA/Waiver would be needed. But as noted in the AF/D, many Cl D or this particular Cl E is downgraded to a Cl G during certain times. The reason being the upgraded status is because of airplanes flying during daytimes/popular times and either a tower or the need for IFR approaches need to have controlled airspace. I would think when the status is stepped down to a Cl G, then would I still reference airmaps altitudes? A COA is no longer needed during those times, so? However, that being said, I would always use common sense when flying, no matter what any map tells me.

A COA is no longer needed during those times, so?
Correct. As a Part 107 pilot, you have access to Class G airspace. In this case, that would only be those times that are outlined above and you wouldn't have to obtain a COA, nor be subject to those flying heights. And, as we always have to say, this should be done with the utmost caution since you're flying near an airport and there's a higher chance of low flying aircraft, and so on.

UAV mapper and others. As a side note, I fly airplanes, and I instruct in single, multi and instrument certification, currency, proficiencies. Although regs may say something, I would become knowledgeable about any airport I'm flying nearby. Best to go to FBO/schools or find CFI's there. An example, flying an non precision approach in a non WAAS box pilots will dive and drive. In otherwords, a pilot will descend on an approach and get to the MDA as quickly as possible, especially if there is a tailwind and time the approach, many times getting to 4-500 agl a couple of miles away from an airport. Or you might have a cropduster flying low, or just someone sightseeing. So I'd say, get to know where you fly and what you might run into. Areas of training find many practice engine outs and planes will get unusually low before the simulation is done. Prior to going places, I find out about the manned ops there, If i'm flying or droning.

UAV mapper and others. As a side note, I fly airplanes, and I instruct in single, multi and instrument certification, currency, proficiencies. Although regs may say something, I would become knowledgeable about any airport I'm flying nearby. Best to go to FBO/schools or find CFI's there. An example, flying an non precision approach in a non WAAS box pilots will dive and drive. In otherwords, a pilot will descend on an approach and get to the MDA as quickly as possible, especially if there is a tailwind and time the approach, many times getting to 4-500 agl a couple of miles away from an airport. Or you might have a cropduster flying low, or just someone sightseeing. So I'd say, get to know where you fly and what you might run into. Areas of training find many practice engine outs and planes will get unusually low before the simulation is done. Prior to going places, I find out about the manned ops there, If i'm flying or droning.

Some of the best advice anyone could be given. Well said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV