Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Anafi USA

Troff

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Pilots,
I was recently made redundant from my airplane pilot job overseas and am returning to the north-east where I am planning a startup drone business initially offering all the usual photography and real estate photo shoots, but planning to concentrate this winter on structural warm air leakage using a thermal drone. My machine now is a Mavic 2 Pro which I fly daily. I have been considering the Dual but the min operating temperature is -10C while the Parrot ANAFI USA, coming in at substantially higher cost, has a minimum operating temperature of -25C. Is the cost worth it? Also, now with a mixed fleet, parts, batteries, etc are not interchangeable. Any constructive advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Capt. Troff

Attachments

• 796ED7EB-2E40-48E3-8DDF-0A826DF47022.jpeg
    796ED7EB-2E40-48E3-8DDF-0A826DF47022.jpeg
    8.8 MB · Views: 24
Before you invest in any aircraft or other equipment, I would do a complete survey of your area to identify other operators and get a realistic picture of the industry opportunities and likelihood of business success. These forums are awash with “I’m setting up a drone business” posts, and it’s not likely that many of them made even a moderate success out of it. At this point, don’t be lulled into any false sense of security that you will make a living wage out of a drone business; at best, it will be pocket money. It would be far better to join up as a pilot with an existing business with proven success.

I have a pretty good idea of the operators in the area- little to none. I have had offers from two outfits for different positions to participate with them initially.

While the Anafi USA is a large step forward for Parrot compared to the Anafi and Anafi Thermal I'd pass personally.

The thermal is a Boson non-radiometric (lacks and temperature information) 320 resolution. While it fits your intended use case, a 640 resolution would be preferable in my opinion since a drone is a way to get the thermal sensor around faster and at previously unavailable perspectives. I use a 320 resolution FLIR for home inspections and it works great because I am in the home 10 feet away from the targets. The 320 will work, but a 640 will work better.

I own 2 Anafis, the regular and the Thermal. I have had both drones fall out of the sky for absolutely no reason and customer support was the worse of any company I have ever dealt with. I only got it replaced with a conversation with a high up exec in Parrot HQ. I am not saying that the USA will suffer from this "fall from sky" that pops up all too often on the Parrot forum, but add the fact that Parrot does not have a USA repair facility and an exec was asked about this in a Drone Nerds webinar and his answer was dodge, pass, and dodge again, and I would seriously give second thought to what happens to my $7000 drone if it crashes. In the end do you own research, the USA will have little if no information, but you can research how Parrot currently operates with the regular Anafi.

The Autel Evo 2 should/might be getting a 640 Boson with radiometrics(temperature data),. If this happens you will finally have a real competitor to the Matrice Series in a small package. Autel just needs to add all of the Dragonfish sensors to the Evo 2, and they will get my money. I prefer to have the smallest must unobtrusive drone, as I do not like attention when working. I also dread the fact that a large drone could kill someone much easier than a small one in the event of a mishap.

Thanks for that great info! The real advantage to operating the Anafi USA is that the minimum operating temp is -35C. While the Mavic Enterprise Duo operates to -10C, the Autel Evo 2 can only function at 0C or above. In your opinion would a Mavic Enterprise be a good option until the next big thing comes along? I want to be working my area asap.

" In your opinion would a Mavic Enterprise be a good option until the next big thing comes along?"

I would not base a full time business on the Mavic 2 ED or Parrot Anafi Thermal (Regular not USA) for thermography purposes. They are such low resolution sensors. They work pretty good within 10 feet but the further from target the worse they get. BUT, they could be used.

That being said I have used the Anafi Thermal to do a roof moisture scan and it worked great. It just took a lot longer since I had to fly so low. (I had the benefit of knowing exactly where the leaks were since the drop ceiling was down and moisture meters were then used.

I think a more important consideration is getting certified for thermography. FLIR, Snell, Infraspection and others all offer certification classes. Also downloading and reviewing ASTM 1060 would be a good idea as it will at least give you a standard to follow.

Don't let me dissuade you from the Anafi USA, it is my opinion what I wrote about Parrot and my experience with them, others may disagree. Just do research on it as $7000 is a lot of money.

If you do get up and running, post back your experiences, good or bad with whatever choice you make as it can help the next guy with the same questions.

Give me a day or two, I will try to fly a building with my Anafi Thermal, then you can make your own choice. A problem is that currently here in NJ it is second summer, but when it cools off again I will get you some samples with the Anafi Thermal and my FLIR 320 handheld.

I have decided to purchase an Autel EVO 2 Dual for my business. I got it for $9,938.73 tax in for the drone with the "more fly kit". Included in the deal is a third battery for the Dual as well as a battery for my Mavic 2 Pro.

So far, so good! Not flying much due to inclimate weather, but happy times will be back soon.

Reactions: Advexure
Move to South Florida - No state income tax reasonable property tax and great weather.

Great weather, lets see when I was in Pensacola in the summer it was 100% humidity, 98 degrees and miserable. Then there were the tornados. I'll pass on Florida, besides I don't like alligators.

Ya need the fresh air of Iowa, the 4 seasons are appreciated with each season’s change! Spring isn’t Spring till ya come out of a bitter cold long March!

• Love
Reactions: Advexure

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV