Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Another New Craft - Autel EVO2 - Swappable Gimbals, 640 Thermal, 35 min flight

dougcjohn

Reaction score
Another New craft... it's not the same new technology as the Skydio 2 with 360 Optical avoidance; but the new EVO2 offers some great features for those needing.
This one in my opinion would great SAR, FEMA Inspection, Survey tool in a small package.
Swappable Gimbals: 8K, 6K and a Dual Thermal 640 with 8K video.
Looks like a great offering too... for a different need.
The small craft with swappable gimbal payloads is a great offering!
I can see 3rd party... Ag sensors, etc getting on board with this one.

Multiple Gimbals to select & swap: 4K at 120fps, 8K @ 25fps, 6K @ 30fps... 48Meg Stills, adj aperture and Thermal @ 640x512.

This One I'd like to watch... if any Other's come across additional information on the EVO2.
Post the link, I'd like to follow it if possible.

@Capt Binkley yep, I'd agree... this one, IF it's as advertised... could be another grand slam hit!
A Thermal with 640 Resolution, 6K & 8K, 48Meg Still with adj aperture, 35 min flight and all on a DJI competitive platform. If they maintain same operation, also without NFZ firmware too.
The swappable Gimbal on a small foldable craft in my opinion is major... allow 3rd Party to compliment and you've got a small package with multiple specialties.

Reactions: PatR
An unnamed vendor told me about this back in May, and to my surprise it looks like it will happen. I think the 48 MP stills will be like the Mavic Zoom and Enterprise where the camera zooms in, takes 9 photos and then self stitches them into a "super resolution" photo. I have done it on my Mavic Enterprise and the results are quite good.

Fingers crossed on this have true radiometric capabilities at launch or soon after.

This also was what I was wanting, competition to start making certain things standard, like swapping out cameras, and offering solid thermal cameras on non enterprise level drones. The price of entry into 640 thermal with DJI is quite high, and if you want a small fleet for your business you are out some serious coin.

Part of my work is with municipal government and the way things are going DJI is not going to be invited. In my city right now there is an order not to have any DJI drone allowed access to the network until further notice. So I need more options, and this looks promising.

Any word on the cost?

John

None that I've even seen a whisper of yet!

Shall we get a "Best Guess" game started?

I'll go with...
EVO2 w Standard 8K Gimbal - $1300
FLIR Thermal Gimbal 640 Stnd - $4000
FLIR Thermal Gimbal 320 Stnd - $2500
6K RGB Gimbal - $600
8K RGB Gimbal - $750

Pkg Kit: EVO2 with FLIR 640 - $5100

Reactions: adm_geomatics
I think the 48 MP stills will be like the Mavic Zoom and Enterprise where the camera zooms in, takes 9 photos and then self stitches them into a "super resolution" photo. I have done it on my Mavic Enterprise and the results are quite good.

Fingers crossed on this have true radiometric capabilities at launch or soon after.

Part of my work is with municipal government and the way things are going DJI is not going to be invited. In my city right now there is an order not to have any DJI drone allowed access to the network until further notice. So I need more options, and this looks promising.

One report suggested that we may be looking at a full-frame or near full-frame sensor (just over 4 times the area of a 1" sensor, I believe) on the 8K/48MP camera. If this is true (and the camera has good glass) Autel could be set to give DJI some major (some might say, much needed) competition.

As to the gov't. ban/security concerns regarding DJI sUAS, I wouldn't look to Autel as a viable option - since it too is a Chinese product. But the fact that it comes without the whole geofencing conundrum is certainly a huge plus.

One report suggested that we may be looking at a full-frame or near full-frame sensor (just over 4 times the area of a 1" sensor, I believe) on the 8K/48MP camera. If this is true (and the camera has good glass) Autel could be set to give DJI some major (some might say, much needed) competition.

As to the gov't. ban/security concerns regarding DJI sUAS, I wouldn't look to Autel as a viable option - since it too is a Chinese product. But the fact that it comes without the whole geofencing conundrum is certainly a huge plus.
I'd agree, if the 8K, is say a FF Super35... that would be the same "size" sensor as the current king of Prosumer, the $3500 camera only Zenmuse X7. Then add $1600 per DL lens for a $5100 mount price. If the EVO2 8K camera is a Sup35 that itself is a major offering... would be only the 2nd model with that size sensor... so a direct Inspire2 X7 competitor.

Unless the 8K camera and the Thermal Dual with included 8K RGB are differnt cameras, I'd lean more it's Not a Sup35 and probably a multi-capture for 48meg.

But at this stage of uncertainty, it could be a smaller sensor with the thermal rated 8K and a separate Sup35 8K on the stand alone camera.

On a marketing scheme, I would think 2 separate 8K cameras would be more favorable... they'd sell more payload options.

The one camera rated at 4K @ 120Fps... that's another major homerun and a DJI slam!!

At this stage with the multiple payloads... the EVO2 takes on multiple DJI: Matrice 210 with Dual Thermal, Inspire 2 X7 with the 8K and 4K @ 120fps, and Mavic 2 Pro with the compact 1" sensor & foldable platform.

If it performs as expected, for a solid year it will blow the primary 3 DJI commercial crafts out of the market. Then the excitment starts... DJI doesn't normally create and release, they have several product in staging that they market time release to beat down the competition and keep the focus on them. If the EVO2 was a well kept secret, AND the Skydio2 hit them unexpected... then DJI may need to go into a rapid design to quickly regain market rule. That could result with some impressive hardware and a lower price!

Anyone interested, found the EVO 2 manual.
Sheds a little more info.

It’s a great tech craft... and although it’s minor... the drawings in manual, and various photos... it’s not a sleek or sexy craft, kinda Duckly.

Ahh.. the ability to switch to infrared without purchasing a new bird or upgrade cameras. What an innovation.. excepts it leaves a bad taste in my mouth reminds me of the swappable gimbals and parts of the karma go pro drone.. .ahh RIP that thing was horrid and huge. I bought an Autel when they first came out but had issues with mapping programs during that time. Its nice to have the built in screen and the smooth plastics and orange were good for rescue, spotting, and just well safety. Also can I still say that I gave up checking on any more nfz patches fro the mp2 or any tweaks on firmware.. I really dont hit no fly zone issues with work as I usually have days to review the site and request but I also had my first mavic with the nfz patch too soo who knows. It lacked alot of the automation and familarness as DJI has when I had the EVO 1. but I do regret not keeping it. Noticed they hiked up the prices on the one but no Jan. 2020 info on the site just from news sites.. It is an awesome idea to just swap gimbles to the latest and greatest. Mark me down for a sale but not for a full move to Autel as last time they didnt have enough to offer for a full swap.

Sorry if I missed it, I did read the whole thread rather quickly on my phone, but does anyone know if these cameras have a mechanical shutter, and if they do, do all have this or just the entry level, pro or dual? We have the original Evo at work and while it does have some pros, it also has some big cons. Unless there has been some progress made it did not allow you to export flight logs to logbook software such as DroneLogbook, and it still did not have any compatibility with mapping software. I wonder and hope if the Evo 2 will address these issues especially since the Evo 1 was marketed as being mapping friendly but never really produced the results. I love that this drone could really push other manufacturers to up their game and give us the consumers great solutions for our problems.

Sorry if I missed it, I did read the whole thread rather quickly on my phone, but does anyone know if these cameras have a mechanical shutter, and if they do, do all have this or just the entry level, pro or dual? We have the original Evo at work and while it does have some pros, it also has some big cons. Unless there has been some progress made it did not allow you to export flight logs to logbook software such as DroneLogbook, and it still did not have any compatibility with mapping software. I wonder and hope if the Evo 2 will address these issues especially since the Evo 1 was marketed as being mapping friendly but never really produced the results. I love that this drone could really push other manufacturers to up their game and give us the consumers great solutions for our problems.

I think I remember that the 6k camera coming in a couple months has the mechanical shutter.

@Capt Binkley that would he great, would be one more "plus" for the EVO2. I hadn't seen that but I haven't been reading all the multiple reviews and news bits.

Now all they need is to provide the SDK to Developers. It'd be nice to see MME, Litchi, Pix4D & maybe even DroneLink for starters include the platform.

An unnamed vendor told me about this back in May, and to my surprise it looks like it will happen. I think the 48 MP stills will be like the Mavic Zoom and Enterprise where the camera zooms in, takes 9 photos and then self stitches them into a "super resolution" photo. I have done it on my Mavic Enterprise and the results are quite good.

This also was what I was wanting, competition to start making certain things standard, like swapping out cameras, and offering solid thermal cameras on non enterprise level drones. The price of entry into 640 thermal with DJI is quite high, and if you want a small fleet for your business you are out some serious coin.

It's unfortunate that the federal DJI paranoia is infecting local governments. The problem is allowing IT geeks to start making policy. As a group they do tend to be extremely paranoid about "their" networks. I know Autel say they are "Washington based."

I'd like to know where the components are made and assembled. China???

It's unfortunate that the federal DJI paranoia is infecting local governments. The problem is allowing IT geeks to start making policy. As a group they do tend to be extremely paranoid about "their" networks. I know Autel say they are "Washington based."

Autel is Chinese and EVO and EVO2 are Chinese manufactured and within the recent Govt fuss on Chinese limitations to Govt.
Both Autel & DJI have state side facilities, but currently mainly for distribution. DJI is indicating they may move production to a few of their USA facilities to skirt the Govt limitations... they could then fall under the Asembled or even Made in USA. Yes, it's a cloaked method... but aren't several industries currently enacting the same.

Autel is Chinese and EVO and EVO2 are Chinese manufactured and within the recent Govt fuss on Chinese limitations to Govt.
Both Autel & DJI have state side facilities, but currently mainly for distribution. DJI is indicating they may move production to a few of their USA facilities to skirt the Govt limitations... they could then fall under the Asembled or even Made in USA. Yes, it's a cloaked method... but aren't several industries currently enacting the same.
I figured. It's all Chinese made...

I agree 100%. The Federal paranoia has spread to the state level in NJ, and the State level is advising against DJI being connected to any secure network. We have a Swellpro, Mavic 2 Ent. Dual and and Autel Evo. I have been looking hard at the Impossible Aerospace US-1 with its 640 resolution FLIR Duo Pro R as any recommendation from the state will most likely have to be followed. My hope is that the trade war will end in a deal and hopefully the American Security Drone Act of 2019 does not get passed as written.

Reactions: Advexure

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV