Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Anyone running LiDAR?

Nitz

Reaction score
Anyone here running a LiDAR UAS system?
I'm very curious about how functional it is to get some high precision accuracy point clouds.

We currently run manned LiDAR opperations every few years, but with new regulations that may be coming, we may have to do it more often. I'm pricing out the options and a UAS based LiDAR system appears to be cheaper in the long run (with the initial purchase for software/hardware). I'm curious if anyone is running a UAS LiDAR system.

Thanks,

I'm very curious about how functional it is to get some high precision accuracy point clouds.

We currently run manned LiDAR opperations every few years, but with new regulations that may be coming, we may have to do it more often. I'm pricing out the options and a UAS based LiDAR system appears to be cheaper in the long run (with the initial purchase for software/hardware). I'm curious if anyone is running a UAS LiDAR system.

Thanks,

Not using Lidar yet but Velodyne just completed a new manufacturing plant and cut the cost of their unit by half. I think their VLP-16 lite starts at $4,000.00US. It weighs in under 2 pounds.

VLP-16

Not using Lidar yet but Velodyne just completed a new manufacturing plant and cut the cost of their unit by half. I think their VLP-16 lite starts at $4,000.00US. It weighs in under 2 pounds.

VLP-16
Beware of Woulda, Coulda, if only I hadda.

Beware of Woulda, Coulda, if only I hadda.

Before the close of last year they were listing for $8,000.00US. Occasionally someone actually does something right. Kinda refreshing considering the state of the world these days...

VLP-16

From what I see that is only the sensor but you need an interface module such as this.
imgp0202.jpg

I am flying the Riegl VUX1 with the Applanix AP20 IMU.

From what I hear from the people I work with who know a lot more than I on the technical differences, the Velodyne setups out there get you around half foot accuracy at best and the pointcloud data can be very noisy. Velodyne could be good for bare earth scanning like for 1 foot contours.

The Riegl setup can get 1/10ft absolute accuracies and has amazing vegetation penetration and nice pointclouds.

The Riegl + AP20 IMU is like $300k, then you add the cost of drone, software/hardware and LiDAR processor personnel etc.

From what I understand the Riegl VUX1 LR (long range) with the AP20 is the best survey grade setup you can fly on a sub 55lbs UAV.

Just today heard some good stuff about the FARO lidar mounted to the Stormbee UAV, still not as powerful on range as the VUX but it had some of my lidar folks excited.

I have not looked into it yet and know nothing about the Stormbee so take some caution on that.

Attached (hopefully) is a pic of my rig.IMG_20180307_143042_028.jpg

From what I see that is only the sensor but you need an interface module such as this.
imgp0202.jpg
The 4K price tag was enough to stop me without wasting more time working out total costs. I don't mind going down rabbit holes as long as there is an exit. The board is not going to sign off on that price tag any time soon (until they really need the data badly and then stand back and well clear and watch them move mountains to make something happen).

I am flying the Riegl VUX1 with the Applanix AP20 IMU.

From what I hear from the people I work with who know a lot more than I on the technical differences, the Velodyne setups out there get you around half foot accuracy at best and the pointcloud data can be very noisy. Velodyne could be good for bare earth scanning like for 1 foot contours.

The Riegl setup can get 1/10ft absolute accuracies and has amazing vegetation penetration and nice pointclouds.

The Riegl + AP20 IMU is like $300k, then you add the cost of drone, software/hardware and LiDAR processor personnel etc.

From what I understand the Riegl VUX1 LR (long range) with the AP20 is the best survey grade setup you can fly on a sub 55lbs UAV.

Just today heard some good stuff about the FARO lidar mounted to the Stormbee UAV, still not as powerful on range as the VUX but it had some of my lidar folks excited.

I have not looked into it yet and know nothing about the Stormbee so take some caution on that.

Attached (hopefully) is a pic of my rig.View attachment 471

I'll give you $50 for the setup. And, because i'm a nice guy I'll pay for shipping ;)

Thanks,
I have been watching the development of Lidar for two years. I run a M600P. My surveyor clients definitely want high quality output. That being said, the investment is predicated on sales commitments. We're talking $50k to make it all work. Phoenix Lidar is where I plan to go when I'm ready. They have the groundstation software and interface worked out.

I have been watching the development of Lidar for two years. I run a M600P. My surveyor clients definitely want high quality output. That being said, the investment is predicated on sales commitments. We're talking $50k to make it all work. Phoenix Lidar is where I plan to go when I'm ready. They have the groundstation software and interface worked out.

Yeah last I check with Phoenix Systems their Ranger model which uses the Velodyne Puck was near $80K.

VLP-16

This VLP-16 link is to the "old" 890 grams PUCK, the newer Puck Lite weights 590 grams and cost 4K$.

This VLP-16 link is to the "old" 890 grams PUCK, the newer Puck Lite weights 590 grams and cost 4K$.

Its still out of my price range. And then there is the peripheral hardware that goes along with it. If I had a daily need of the equipment it would be worth a budgetary fight. I don't need it that frequently at this time.

Is the Matrice 600 Pro a better platform than the Matrice 210 for a LiDAR platform?

I agree with Outta Control 100%.

The redundandancy built into the system such as; triple GPS pucks, triple IMUs, 6 batteries (this was more done to ensure ability to be brought on a passenger plane as carry on), and 6 motors means you have a chance that even with a motor/ESC failure you can land safely. Plus the M600 Pro has more lift capacity.

The only way you can beat it is to go custom. And most of the custom shops offer the DJI A3 flight controller + Lightbridge 2 for control/datalink for their builds. The other common flight controller is a Pixhawk 2 Cube.

The DJI Wind 4 is supposedly sweet and could easily carry a lidar but it is a quad copter and costs almost 3x the m600 pro for an extra 2kg or so of lift capacity. And supposedly the Wind 8/Agras flies like a pig and is also 3x more expensive then the m600 pro.

Reactions: Outta Control
I also agree with Moosewax 100%.

Though I dislike most of DJI's off the shelf aircraft, as a custom builder I do use DJI industrial components such as their FC. The my other post it is a Tarot frame with a N3 FC and LB2 which I think is a very cost effective solution but there are some new boys in the block that I would love to test out that has a built in LB2-like performance and more.

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of the Routescene Lidarpod system? I know the heart is a Velodyne 32 but the interface and support software is what I'm unsure about. Also, understanding the above about the M600 vs Wind 4. Is not having to deal with/buy sets of six batteries a needle mover towards the WInd 4 or no real factor?

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of the Routescene Lidarpod system? I know the heart is a Velodyne 32 but the interface and support software is what I'm unsure about. Also, understanding the above about the M600 vs Wind 4. Is not having to deal with/buy sets of six batteries a needle mover towards the WInd 4 or no real factor?
Those wind batteries are huge. They are like VCR size. So 2 huge ones or 6 smaller ones. Still lots to carry. However airline transport wise, technically you can only bring 2 of those huge batteries per person as carry on. None in check in. You get 2 greater than 100wh (watt hour)batteries. The TB47s are 99.9wh, and you can bring unlimited under 100wh.

But honestly my deal breaker is using a quadcopter to carry lidar. Personally prefer more redundancy with 6 or more motors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905