Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Are the feds ever going to loosen the rules for the little guys?

LUIS MARTINEZ

Reaction score
Website
www.martinezaerial.com

When it comes to big business, the FAA doesn't seem too concerned about the over people rules an BLOS...

Reactions: FlyingGary
Big Business can afford to build aircraft to mitigate the risk of BVLOS. The FAA doesn't care about how big or small you are they only care about the safety of the NAS. I personally don't want "little guys" with off the shelf products flying over people or BVLOS and I am one of the "little guys"

When it comes to big business, the FAA doesn't seem too concerned about the over people rules an BLOS...

That's exactly how it APPEARS and I for one think that's total BS....

It's almost a Pay to Play scheme . . .

Big Business can afford to build aircraft to mitigate the risk of BVLOS. The FAA doesn't care about how big or small you are they only care about the safety of the NAS. I personally don't want "little guys" with off the shelf products flying over people or BVLOS and I am one of the "little guys"
Please skip the FAA safety lesson, I was flying SAR for the Civil Air Patrol the year you were born....just saying. ;)
All equipment is subject to failure (DJI, Yuneec, custom made) . I don't know which UAS they are using but is it "bulletproof"? Guaranteed if won't fall out of the sky? I want to know how UPS "mitigated" 107.39, besides adding a chute?

I think we need to take a step back here and really evaluate what UPS did to meet the requirements for flying over people and BVLOS. If it was an arbitrary FAA decision and it was only because UPS has lots of money and lawyers then that is bad. If it was because there are a set of requirements that are applied evenly to everyone then I think it's fine. The requirements and the process just need to be published and applied equally to anyone, no matter how big or small.

Reactions: dronecyclops
Part 135, Turbo-powered charters. Humm. Never thought about using a turbo on my drone, but now that I know one can do that ...
Might be hard to get 19 passengers and a flight attendant stuffed into a DJI drone though

Actually, having been a director of maintenance for a 135 Air Charter operation it isn't that tough to get the certification. Here are the basic requirements, yes I understand there are other requirements for flight over people but there will be some requirements for manned aircraft that will not pertain to drones.

Reactions: BigAl07

This is what UPS used to get their approval, a Swiss company.

From their website: "Authorized by the Swiss aviation authority for full logistics operations over cities "
Makes one wonder how much of the FAA's testing was original work and how much did they rely on the "Swiss Aviation Authority." Just saying.

On a side note, have Americans just given up on ever leading the UAS market? Hard to believe.

On a side note, have Americans just given up on ever leading the UAS market? Hard to believe.
Skydio 2 is U.S. made it's body style is similar to Matternets just don't know how good they are though

I live in a highly populated suburban area where I don't see this type of service being viable. But out in open country where you can launch from a road and deliver smaller packages within 1/2 a mile or so without worry of obstructions and population it's probably viable. If you can park a UPS truck and launch/retrieve 10 packages in twenty minutes without having to drive the truck to each location maybe it's cost effective.

As for the little guy, if by little guy you mean small commercial operators, UPS may be paving the way for those that want to deliver under the same type of conditions.

It's almost a Pay to Play scheme . . .

Almost? Really now, why do we think it’s only the big money players populating the Drone Advisory Council and sub groups creating regulations? Not to mention all the $ millions in federal grant development money given to companies specializing in avionics software, guidance systems, and large scholastic R&D groups.

There’s a reason corporate aerospace has been buying up just about every outfit out there actively involved in upper end drone development, drone software and cloud services, and imagery companies. If a small company can’t or won’t be bought they end up in partnership agreements with corporate aerospace.

Reactions: BigAl07
Please skip the FAA safety lesson, I was flying SAR for the Civil Air Patrol the year you were born....just saying. ;)
I want to know how UPS "mitigated" 107.39, besides adding a chute?

It may well be that by using a Part 135 certification process they’ve managed to certify the aircraft and system. Going that route would imply the pilots be similarly certified though, and based upon the manned commercial sector there aren’t enough qualified pilots available.

One thing’s for sure though; for the right amount of money or special favors every politician can be bought to give you what you want. If we track was previous upper level FAA people have done after departing the FAA it becomes pretty clear there’s been some type of quid pro quo.[

Last edited:
This is what UPS used to get their approval, a Swiss company.

From their website: "Authorized by the Swiss aviation authority for full logistics operations over cities "
Makes one wonder how much of the FAA's testing was original work and how much did they rely on the "Swiss Aviation Authority." Just saying.

Think Boeing 737. That debacle isn’t the only time they’ve done that type of stuff.

The FAA doesn’t really do much testing anyway. They have companies send the stuff out to testing agencies or allow them to test themselves using published test standards. Test results, true or not, are sent to the FAA for review and approval.

Getting what you want from the government is pretty easy. Place enough money in a big pile and invite the applicable government players to circle around it a few times, taking what they want and pretty soon those players are satisfied and give something back. You might have to replenish the pile a time or three but the players are eventually satiated. DoD stuff works the same way.

Yes, I am more than a little jaded[emoji6]

Reactions: dougcjohn
I suppose we can look at it a little differently, if UPS is successful and doesn't kill anyone for a couple of years it may just get some of the restrictions relaxed. I agree for UPS to use drones for deliveries in remote areas could be very practical.

As for as bending the rules, we know a lot of people do without consequences, but let things go south and it will bit you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905