Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Auth Deviating From Facility Map Possible?

consultant

Reaction score
I want to take some Commercial Real Estate Photos at 75ft in a 0 altitude facility map section. It's about 1.2 miles from an airport runway (class C airspace) but it's not in the approach or takeoff path. Now we all know, common sense tells us, if an airplane is flying below 100 feet where there are 8 story buildings, especially if it's not in the landing or takeoff path, then you have much bigger problems than a drone.

Is it impossible to get auth? Does anyone really know?

Keep in mind the GRID is a template only and in many cases just a general guidelines to help you n your requests. The only way to know is to submit your request and cross your fingers. Some will but many will not.

Keep us posted on how it goes. It only takes a moment to submit.

Newb Part 107'er here with a related question...

I recently obtained my FAA Authorization to fly in Class D airspace at our local airport (KMRB Martinsburg, WV -- a non-LAANC facility). It covers the entire Class D airspace, but -- of course -- is subject to the altitude restrictions on the FAA UAS Facility Map. However, there's a number of 0'-altitude quadrants I'd like to access. Had lunch earlier in the week with our local ATC Chief who outlined his requirements to operate in those quadrants (with specific limitations), but said I'd have to go through proper FAA channels to make that happen.

Now sitting-down at the computer on the FAA DroneZone to begin that process, and I'm uncertain what steps to take. Should I be applying for an Operational Waiver (altitude), an Airspace Waiver, or something else? The FAA website merely says, "If a request for an operation includes an altitude above what is displayed on the UASFM, it may still be approved but would need coordination with the facility and additional FAA safety analysis." Nothing on the FAA website says, "OK pal, if you want to deviate from the altitudes posted on the UAS Facility Map, here's what you need to do."

Any guidance from folks who've successfully obtained the FAA's OK to fly in 0'-altitude quadrants at non-LAANC airports?

Newb Part 107'er here with a related question...

I recently obtained my FAA Authorization to fly in Class D airspace at our local airport (KMRB Martinsburg, WV -- a non-LAANC facility). It covers the entire Class D airspace, but -- of course -- is subject to the altitude restrictions on the FAA UAS Facility Map. However, there's a number of 0'-altitude quadrants I'd like to access. Had lunch earlier in the week with our local ATC Chief who outlined his requirements to operate in those quadrants (with specific limitations), but said I'd have to go through proper FAA channels to make that happen.

Now sitting-down at the computer on the FAA DroneZone to begin that process, and I'm uncertain what steps to take. Should I be applying for an Operational Waiver (altitude), an Airspace Waiver, or something else? The FAA website merely says, "If a request for an operation includes an altitude above what is displayed on the UASFM, it may still be approved but would need coordination with the facility and additional FAA safety analysis." Nothing on the FAA website says, "OK pal, if you want to deviate from the altitudes posted on the UAS Facility Map, here's what you need to do."

Any guidance from folks who've successfully obtained the FAA's OK to fly in 0'-altitude quadrants at non-LAANC airports?
All airfields handle it differently but if you have wide area authorization that includes zero grids, you can get clearance from ATC (or not) to fly that grid. One of my WAOs specifically states that I need ATC clearance regardless of which grid I want to fly so technically they could shoot down a request to fly 100' in a 400' grid if they need that airspace. By they same token they have the power to grant access to a zero grid.

All airfields handle it differently but if you have wide area authorization that includes zero grids, you can get clearance from ATC (or not) to fly that grid. One of my WAOs specifically states that I need ATC clearance regardless of which grid I want to fly so technically they could shoot down a request to fly 100' in a 400' grid if they need that airspace. By they same token they have the power to grant access to a zero grid.
Appreciate the response Weaponized :)

My Certificate of Authorization covers the entire KMRB Class Delta airspace but carries the restriction, "At or Below: Altitudes in accordance with the published UAS Facility Map (UASFM)". My COA also states, "If you need to operate at an altitude that is not in accordance with the published UASFM, you must apply for a new authorization requesting that altitude."

So based on that, I clearly need additional FAA approval over what I currently have to fly any zero grids within the airspace. Now the language "you must apply for a new authorization requesting that altitude" may be the answer directly in front of my face -- simply apply for an additional Authorization for those zero grids. But it seems to me that deviating from their published grid numbers constitutes a waiver of some sorts and not just authorization. That's what has me confused. Hell, I'm probably reading too much into it LOL!

Reactions: Earnest Ward
Appreciate the response Weaponized :)

My Certificate of Authorization covers the entire KMRB Class Delta airspace but carries the restriction, "At or Below: Altitudes in accordance with the published UAS Facility Map (UASFM)". My COA also states, "If you need to operate at an altitude that is not in accordance with the published UASFM, you must apply for a new authorization requesting that altitude."

So based on that, I clearly need additional FAA approval over what I currently have to fly any zero grids within the airspace. Now the language "you must apply for a new authorization requesting that altitude" may be the answer directly in front of my face -- simply apply for an additional Authorization for those zero grids. But it seems to me that deviating from their published grid numbers constitutes a waiver of some sorts and not just authorization. That's what has me confused. Hell, I'm probably reading too much into it LOL!
I've found that we're currently receiving 2 types of 107.41 WAAAs - the type EERDrone refers to (which includes no ATC contact information and requires no prior ATC contact to fly) and the type that Weaponized referred to (which, in my area of operation, is usually a DoD field and requires ATC and/or Base Ops contact prior to, after, and sometimes even during flight ops. (If anyone else has found different, please add to the list.)

Regarding the first group - without any ATC contact information (and in keeping with the COA's stipulations) it would seem logical to submit a new COA application with the altitude request but this time mark "yes" when asked if you already hold a COA for this facility. With regards to the second group - you could always phone ATC or Base Ops and ask how they would prefer you proceed (keeping in mind that, if it is a DoD field, Federal law strictly forbids flights over, and photographing/videoing of military facilities.)

Alternately, dashing off an email to [email protected] should get you the official answer in 2-3 days. (If you go that route, please share the response with the rest of us. Thanks!)

At this point I have not found anyone who can confirm they received an auth to fly in any LAANC 0 altitude grids. I'm talking your common Class B/C/D airspace, not special use, Class E, etc etc.

At this point I have not found anyone who can confirm they received an auth to fly in any LAANC 0 altitude grids. I'm talking your common Class B/C/D airspace, not special use, Class E, etc etc.

I did, via LAANC, confined to 50 feet. Prescott Love field (PRC). You'll have to take my word, I cancelled the request, 50 wasn't good enough.

Reactions: R Martin
I did, via LAANC, confined to 50 feet. Prescott Love field (PRC). You'll have to take my word, I cancelled the request, 50 wasn't good enough.

Who did you submit your request through? Skyward or FAA Dronezone? Or? What's the point of canceling a fulfilled request? Wouldn't you just not use it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM