Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Battery Fire

R.Perry

Reaction score
I'm on the local volunteer fire department and we had what turned out to be a minor one today. Young man has an Phantom 3. Flew it down to 18% battery and stuck the battery on the charger. You guessed it, without waiting for it to cool down. Set it on the kitchen table that is next to large sliding glass doors with curtains. Battery caught fir, caught the curtains on fire and away went the dinning room. Fortunately the fire was extinguished before major damage to the home accrued.
I"m posting this as a reminder, these litho batteries can be dangerous.
I asked the young man if I could download his flight data, and he agreed. The battery at the end of the flight was at 18% and 148 degrees, then put on the charger, that is asking for a fire.

This is why it is always a good idea to have multiple charged batteries for flying. I typically go out to field assignments with 5 charged batteries for a full day of shooting. I cycle through them with enough time for the newly drained battery to cool off and then recharge. I also travel with two chargers. But this only works at full day shoots that have a work trailer on site with electric power -- typically our long-term projects. At other sites I have no ability to recharge, but have enough flight time with 5 batteries to get the job done. Having a few extra batteries is well worth the investment, especially when it comes to avoiding a charging fire.

Was it the DJI charger or a 3rd party charger?

I have to admit, I have put batteries on the charger when they were hot. It always automatically waits for the battery to cool down before starting to charge.

Perhaps the charger failed or the battery was going to catch fire anyway?

Was it the DJI charger or a 3rd party charger?

I have to admit, I have put batteries on the charger when they were hot. It always automatically waits for the battery to cool down before starting to charge.

Perhaps the charger failed or the battery was going to catch fire anyway?
Good question. Not sure if was DJI charger or not. As for me I won't put a battery on any charger until it is cool.

It’s not the charger that waits.
There’s a thermal sensor inside of the battery the battery won’t start charging until it cools down.
The real question is was a Dji battery or a third-party battery.
The charging logic is inside the battery the charger just applies voltage.

I am always cautious with these lipo or lithium batteries, my drone I make sure to wait at least 30 minutes after flying for it to cool down especially on hot days, but remember cell phones, laptops and tablets have similar type batteries if not the same, and can do the same, especially on a laptop or phone, if the battery shows any signs of damage or failure other than shortend use time, like swelling or enlargement not to use it, and absolutely do not go near one if it was punctured, found that out with a rc helicopter that managed to puncture a battery when landing.... within seconds it was on fire, small fire but still glad it was outside.

Reactions: MikeA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM