Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Be a Better Film Maker

TreeLineView

DSAR Member
Reaction score
I like I think many others fly because we love it. The introduction of flying cameras has opened the door to a uniquely new way we are able to present the world to our audience and clients. I am a flying geek with no formal film making experience. I learn new tips and tricks every time I fly. I have been trying to incorporate more handheld shots in my videos. I found this video made by a famous film producer that I wanted to share. I know its not a cool 45 second video clip of some breathtaking back drop, but if you have 39 minutes to spare I think you may find this video very beneficial. Hope you enjoy.

I did enjoy this, and thanks for sharing. It would be great to find a similar (very high quality) video that addresses the challenges to "filming" with any kind of aerial drone to meet various client/customer objectives. Topics like "the story", scene-scene continuity, wide vs. long lens (I now have both), level of drama, and of course "moving the camera". I've also found that on-site staging and lighting is more important for some jobs than others. And keeping myself out of the camera's view while complying with VLOS.

Then there's the incredible range of opinions about what is good enough to use and be paid for, and remembering to pay attention to what customers think they want, not so much what could be done, technically. Lately I seem to be guiding my customers, not being directed. Most really don't know what my upgraded 3DR equipment can do, and what I can do with the equipment.

Maybe someone reading this has some worthwhile instructional videos to suggest that are relevant to informational commercial video work, not so much toward traditional story-telling. Some of what is out there is stale (much has changed since 2014!), or appears to condone unsafe operating practices. Issues remain about crossing, or appearing to cross property boundaries, or appearing to impact privacy. Most of the time I find the attitude of a bystander is "drones are cool", however there have been a few times when the attitude was not so friendly.

Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premier Drone Services