Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Best Software for Roof Inspections

AngelHawkUAS

Reaction score
I am curious to get some input on the best industry software for DJI P4P to do roof inspections. In particular, I have gotten feedback from a roof inspector that he would like to see:
1: Roof measurement dimensions
2: Roof slope
3: Detailed imagery

He said if I could provide the 3 items above that he would give me his business. Currently, he is using a service called EagleView which uses satellite data to acquire measurements and slope (no detailed imagery).

If anyone knows of drone software to compete with EagleView, I'm all ears!!!

DroneDeploy has what you are looking for, you get one free report then you have to subscribe monthly and pay for each report. EZ Roof is another, not sure of the cost. They both looking pretty good, I'm just waiting for my P4P to get started.

I am curious to get some input on the best industry software for DJI P4P to do roof inspections. In particular, I have gotten feedback from a roof inspector that he would like to see:
1: Roof measurement dimensions
2: Roof slope
3: Detailed imagery

He said if I could provide the 3 items above that he would give me his business. Currently, he is using a service called EagleView which uses satellite data to acquire measurements and slope (no detailed imagery).

If anyone knows of drone software to compete with EagleView, I'm all ears!!!
I am not a roofing professional. However you might want to check out the Roof Sketch tool offered by ContractorOS as an inducement to use their contractor project/business management software. That tool provides more than the three kinds of information that you mentioned. I've used it at my home, but not yet for a paying job. As usual, avoiding pans that are too rapid is important, as is avoiding collisions with trees and tall bushes. Having a camera lens that gets the details of problem areas while staying at least 6-10 feet from the roof/skylights/chimney is also a good idea, especially with metal roofs. Then there are concerns about solar disruption just when you are too close to anything... For more in-depth comments about the roofing industry (not about using drones), this can be both informative and entertaining. Like you, if anyone knows of a better tool, I'm all ears.

BTW, Roof Sketch (and I suspect other tools) requires one Reference Measurement for scaling and computation of other measurements. Either the homeowner or you can obtain that measurement, usually without using a ladder (use a laser measuring tool). In theory, a roofing professional would not need to visit the site at all, to develop a very accurate quote/bid.

Last edited:
The Roof Sketch Tool is great for estimating, in my case, as a building and property inspector roof inspections are a big part of my business. A sUAS provides me with a lot of valuable information, the way most roofs are designed today along with safety regulations it is difficult to complete a proper roof inspection without specialized expensive equipment, not practical in most cases. With a good sUAS and imaging program, I don't need to get too close to the structures, 10 to 20 meters is usually good in most cases. I have found offering a complete roof inspection along with roof measurements valuable, hail damaged roofs are a good example. Insurance companies have used my reports to settle claims and approved estimates for replacement, in most cases the insurance company will reimburse the homeowner for your work, it's a good revenue service. It's recommended that you fly at 20 meters or 75' for aerial measurements as per DD.

Hover looks pretty good, I have been looking for wall and area measurements, thanks for sharing.

I am not a roofing professional. However you might want to check out the Roof Sketch tool offered by ContractorOS as an inducement to use their contractor project/business management software. That tool provides more than the three kinds of information that you mentioned. I've used it at my home, but not yet for a paying job. As usual, avoiding pans that are too rapid is important, as is avoiding collisions with trees and tall bushes. Having a camera lens that gets the details of problem areas while staying at least 6-10 feet from the roof/skylights/chimney is also a good idea, especially with metal roofs. Then there are concerns about solar disruption just when you are too close to anything... For more in-depth comments about the roofing industry (not about using drones), this can be both informative and entertaining. Like you, if anyone knows of a better tool, I'm all ears.

BTW, Roof Sketch (and I suspect other tools) requires one Reference Measurement for scaling and computation of other measurements. Either the homeowner or you can obtain that measurement, usually without using a ladder (use a laser measuring tool). In theory, a roofing professional would not need to visit the site at all, to develop a very accurate quote/bid.

This Roof Sketch Tool looks like an excellent resource! Thank you for the input! Question, are you aware of how he is able to obtain the pitch of the roof? In the example video, he seemed to automatically know the roof pitch was 6:12. I'm curious how he obtained that.

This Roof Sketch Tool looks like an excellent resource! Thank you for the input! Question, are you aware of how he is able to obtain the pitch of the roof? In the example video, he seemed to automatically know the roof pitch was 6:12. I'm curious how he obtained that.
While a seasoned roofer probably estimates a roof pitch quickly and accurately, I resorted to searching Google Images with "roof pitch". That search returns images of typical pitch angles. Then I positioned my drone's camera to aim horizontally at a gutter. From the paused video frame (or a snapshot) one can place a cheap protractor on a computer screen to find the pitch angle. There may be other ways, but this works.

While a seasoned roofer probably estimates a roof pitch quickly and accurately, I resorted to searching Google Images with "roof pitch". That search returns images of typical pitch angles. Then I positioned my drone's camera to aim horizontally at a gutter. From the paused video frame (or a snapshot) one can place a cheap protractor on a computer screen to find the pitch angle. There may be other ways, but this works.

We found a Roof Pitch Gage "image" online and printed it on Transparency film. Then simply hold it up to a straight on image and "Estimate" the roof pitch.

Reactions: John Githens
Nifty solution! I'll do the same.

Here is a link to one similar to what we use:

page_5.jpg

Here is a link to one similar to what we use:

This is great! Thanks so much.
With the tool you provided, a drone, and a laser distance measurement tool, it would seem that you can get away with doing an entire analysis without getting on the roof or purchasing any software? Would you agree that the software makes it more convenient to assemble reports but it can easily be done without?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM