Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Biden visit cramping my drone game!

PWidmayer

Reaction score
Website
widdrone.wixsite.com
Well unfortunately it looks like my drone practice will be dominated by TFR's. I live in southeast PA and President Biden likes to visit his home in Delaware. The ridiculous TFR covers most of Chester County and Lancaster County and all of Delaware County. They just happen to be my area of operation. So inconvenient.

It is easy to explain to your clients about VIP TFR's. The TFR's usually have some sort of prior notification. I guess the redeeming factor is that everyone who flies drones will have the same issues. Is this the one that impacts you?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 6.11.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 6.11.19 PM.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 12
I live in Atlantic City NJ, and over the last 2 years we had 2 or 3 VIP TFR's. The biggest deal was when Pence attended a nephew's wedding in the Atlantic City area. A lot of ABC type agencies in town, I was certain that normal Joe Blow drone owner was going to fly because they have no clue about rules, but I didn't hear about anyone getting popped.

Unfortunately for you, you have a tad less than 4 years of this.

Sorry, My intent was not to make this a political argument. Just discussing the impact because President Biden has a habit of coming home every weekend. Therefore Drone jobs will be hard to complete on the weekends. I do think it is quite absurd for it to impact such a large area. Something I will have to deal with for a while like my partners in Florida had to deal with over the past 4 years. Keep flying safe everyone.TFR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dronecyclops
Lol now you know how we felt in South Florida.
In the winter Trump came just about every weekend. That’s the way the cookie crumble‘s.
And yes the size of the TFR was ridiculous
One weekend when Trump came to attend the Super Bowl the two TFR’s combined pretty much covered all of South Florida.

Usually the TFR was displayed two days in advance But not active until he arrived so pay close attention to the dates and times

Last edited:
I was hired to shoot a protest/march followed by a concert and had done a location scout earlier in the week with the client. I had all the permissions I needed and then when I arrived on site the day of the shoot I checked the airspace again. There was suddenly a TFR covering where our concert was going to be. I explained to the client the situation and she stated it was probably because Bernie Sanders might make an appearance. Halfway through the march the TFR went away and I told her, "It looks like Bernie isn't going to be joining us!"

So yeah, even with all the pre-planning and having my ducks in a row, it's good to double check airspace again just before taking off.

Reactions: PWidmayer
Oh man, I feel your frustration! TFRs can definitely put a damper on our drone-flying adventures. It's unfortunate that President Biden's visits impacted your area of operation in southeast Pennsylvania. While it can be inconvenient, it's crucial to prioritize safety and respect these restrictions. In the meantime, you could use this opportunity to explore other drone-friendly areas nearby or focus on improving your flying skills in different environments. If you're interested in staying up-to-date with political news and discussions, you might find some interesting insights at politiq.net.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM