Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Big Drone Swatter

MapMaker53

Reaction score
Website
www.zazzle.com
While setting up to film a volunteer beach cleanup for a local marine education center, one of the organizers suggested I check out the inlet dredging that was going on across the channel if I had a few minutes. So, during a break in the beach action, I took a short hop over to the dredging for a quick look. The long-arm bucket operator obviously spotted me and decided to take aim and try to swat me out of the air. Despite me not doing anything illegal or interfering with their work in any way (just a taxpayer watching my tax dollars at work) the operator raised his bucket to my approximate altitude and swiped across in front of me. Naturally, my small drone against the blue sky made it impossible for him to judge how far away I actually was from him -- and having worked around these long-arms before on a project site, I knew his reach. Then he reached out as far as he could directly in front of me and tapped the distance on the water as a reference, appearing to dare me to get any closer. Sorry, bud, but I'm too smart for that game. I also had no interested in bothering someone who obviously didn't want me around. So I just headed back to the beach cleanup. Had to laugh. Below was the encounter on video.

Last edited:
While setting up to film a volunteer beach cleanup for a local marine education center, one of the organizers suggested I check out the inlet dredging that was going on across the bay if I had a few minutes. So, during a break in the beach action, I took a short hop over to the dredging for a quick look. The long-arm bucket operator obviously spotted me and decided to take aim and try to swat me out of the air. Despite me not doing anything illegal or interfering with their work in any way (just a taxpayer watching my tax dollars at work) the operator raised his bucket to my approximate altitude and swiped across in front of me. Naturally, my small drone against the blue sky made it impossible for him to judge how far away I actually was from him -- and having worked around these long-arms before on a project site, I knew his reach. Then he reached out as far as he could directly in front of me and tapped the distance on the water as a reference, appearing to dare me to get any closer. Sorry, bud, but I'm too smart for that game. I also had no interested in bothering someone who obviously didn't want me around. So I just headed back to the beach cleanup. Had to laugh. Below was the encounter on video.

No video. Did you file any reports?

No video. Did you file any reports?

No I didn't report him. I considered it but he wasn't doing anything dangerous, just trying to have some fun at my expense. It's going to take time for the public to start accepting drones as a part of their everyday life and reporting this one jerk to his boss isn't going to do much to change that. Plus I like to do work in the area and would rather not make a stink. I'm sure he hoisted a beer with his construction buddies while bragging that he almost took out a drone. Attitudes will change with time.

Meantime, I have to ask my daughter why I can see my YouTube video and no one else can. Maybe this will work.

Last edited:
Ahhh, I think he was just playing with you.

Yeah, I don't mind playing. But I didn't want to possibly be an annoyance -- despite being in the right. Whenever I fly a project site, we inform all of the construction ground crews that a drone will be flying around and filming as part of the team, and to please not throw anything at it or try to knock it out of the air. They do laugh and kid about it, though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AH-1G
You just have to wonder what was going through the guy's head? As common as drones have become you would think MOST people would just ignore you and go about their work. Great video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W6TDN