Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Breaking: "AirMap Acquires Hangar Technology"

Kristina Fowler

Reaction score
In the early days (2016-ish), I always thought Hangar was a great company with really nice, ground-breaking apps and end-user programs, especially in the construction sector. That said, I've been mystified as to where they wandered off to and what they were trying to do. A bit shrouded in mystery. Customer service went dark. Can anybody tell me what they eventually evolved into and what we might expect from this acquisition?

AirMap Acquires Hangar Technology

Just read this this morning. Shape of things to come. The wild, wild west we are living in (UAV domain) is visibly becoming a regulated (and regulatory) body as the relationship management experts move into the sUAS space.

I am VERY hopeful that Airmap can involve some of the success of Litchi by integrating Web based mission planning services. My Bro is an Austin,TX Commercial Real Estate Broker/Developer and investor in Hangar, he used them for everything but noticed a drop off then they changed their deliverables. Their focus was set of supplying aerial support for D.O.T. for the state of Texas. I've been quite frustrated after paying for autopilot being able to use it on-site has proved IMPOSSIBLE! One error or warning or problem after another. I fly Inspire 2, Mavic2Pro on an iPad Pro, so great hardware but it been nothing short of aggravating. Hopefully Airmap is going to address this HUGE problem.

Their app has always been only partially autonomous when it comes to mission design. Having the executable on-board made your controller-UAV connectivity a single point of failure so to speak. Designing missions is (or should be) an art in and of itself. Unsolicited mission aborts at runtime would be vexing to me. So far, Litchi has the level of autonomy I find compelling and is as stable as any platform out there.

I washed my hands of Hangar several moons ago. The Public Safety version of it never fully developed and fell flat on it's face after we spent many MANY hours testing for them.

Then Hangar360 suddenly went SILENT and they stopped answering Tech Support issues and I still have FOUR projects "stuck" in the app that I had to go and ReShoot (at great expense).

Ironically I worked with a pilot this weekend who still uses Hangar360 daily and in fact he shot a 360 of our training and processed it while on site... while mine is still "Stuck" and unable to proceed.

To say I have little faith in Hangar is a HUGE understatement.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM