Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Can I get some clarification on VLOS?

RickMC

Reaction score
So with VLOS the drone just has to be in my line of sight, meaning every time I look up to the sky I can immediately spot it? You’re allowed to look away from the drone and look at your remote and video feed but then you have to be able to spot the drone when you look up? Does that mean I could keep my head down looking at my remote for 5 minutes straight as long as I’m able to immediately look up and see the drone? There’s nothing in the rules about how long you’re allowed to look at your remote without seeing the drone. So if I’m doing a video can I just keep looking at the remote as long as I know where the drone is and it’s in my line of sight if I look up?

So with VLOS the drone just has to be in my line of sight, meaning every time I look up to the sky I can immediately spot it? You’re allowed to look away from the drone and look at your remote and video feed but then you have to be able to spot the drone when you look up? Does that mean I could keep my head down looking at my remote for 5 minutes straight as long as I’m able to immediately look up and see the drone? There’s nothing in the rules about how long you’re allowed to look at your remote without seeing the drone. So if I’m doing a video can I just keep looking at the remote as long as I know where the drone is and it’s in my line of sight if I look up?

VLOS is being able to see the drone and it's orientation.

It's more of a "Safety" issue than how the law is written. Legally the law says something like "briefly looking at device..." but in no way is 5 minutes even remotely brief. You're violating See & Avoid. Think of OTHER AIRCRAFT and how you can See & Avoid them if they suddenly fly into your immediate vicinity. Also using the sUAS camera you have a very limited viewing angle so the majority of the world is not in frame.

Also you have to be able to see the drone and know it's orientation rather than a mere speck on the horizon.

Reactions: R Martin
Thanks. 5 minutes was just an extreme example. I in no way would ever try something like that

Thanks. 5 minutes was just an extreme example. I in no way would ever try something like that

This situation is ideal for the addition of a VO in your crew. Takes a lot of the work load off of the RPIC but still does not alleviate the VLOS aspect of the flight. As a plus, the VO can also help with public/people approaching and asking questions. We always fly a min of 2-man crew and if it's a night op this can easily double or more.

VLOS is being able to see the drone and it's orientation.

It's more of a "Safety" issue than how the law is written. Legally the law says something like "briefly looking at device..." but in no way is 5 minutes even remotely brief. You're violating See & Avoid. Think of OTHER AIRCRAFT and how you can See & Avoid them if they suddenly fly into your immediate vicinity. Also using the sUAS camera you have a very limited viewing angle so the majority of the world is not in frame.

Also you have to be able to see the drone and know it's orientation rather than a mere speck on the horizon.

Like BigAl said, maintaining VLOS is just one part of our duties as a Remote Pilot, one of the other big ones is maintaining See and Avoid for our drone at all times.

Depending on where you are operating a chopper a can come in low and fast and be on you before you know it.

Reactions: BigAl07
FWIW, here is the verbiage from the FAA Summary of Key points in Part 107::

Visual line-of-sight (VLOS) only; the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS. Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the visual observer

At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close enough to the remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision unaided by any device other than corrective lenses.

Then there is the actual wording of the law itself:

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft’s location;
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft’s attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.
(b) Throughout the entire flight of the small unmanned aircraft, the ability described in subsection (a) of this section must be exercised by either:
(1) The remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system; or (2) A visual observer.

I’ve put Firehouse LED lites on my Mavic.
They’re small and very bright. Really help find the uav from a distance.

Reactions: PReich22

Of course for the FAA there is more to it than simply being able to see a dot in the distance (or a blob of light). They are clear that LOS involves being able to determine the orientation, flight path, elevation and evaluate the airspace around your aircraft.

Using the LEDs to "help find the uav" may be problematic. If you momentarily lose sight of the drone and regain it, that's one thing. But if your aircraft is far enough out that you are repeatedly losing visual contact you are, at the very least, walking the razor's edge; and, at worst, venturing into BVLOS.

Reactions: Phaedrus
I fly VLOS. At 300 to 400’ the Mavic is a speck.
The lites help the PIC to keep the uas oriented
and in site. Would not fly without them.

I fly VLOS. At 300 to 400’ the Mavic is a speck.
The lites help the PIC to keep the uas oriented
and in site. Would not fly without them.
Use of the lights to maintain orientation - and as a heads-up alert to potential system malfunctions - is excellent practice. We do the same.

It was the phrase you used that was of potential concern as you need not "find" what you already see.

Yes...what you said.
It’s interesting to see all the uas
shots in commercial tv these days.
The industry is taking off ..so to
speak.
Safe Flying!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads