Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

cell towers on higher elevations within controlled airspace

JDL

Reaction score
anyone have experience getting a waiver to fly and inspect cell towers, etc. that fall within controlled airspace and are also on higher elevations that would exceed the allowable altitude if I were located on the ground below the mountain? I know what the rules are when flying in uncontrolled.

thankyou
jd

anyone have experience getting a waiver to fly and inspect cell towers, etc. that fall within controlled airspace and are also on higher elevations that would exceed the allowable altitude if I were located on the ground below the mountain? I know what the rules are when flying in uncontrolled.

thankyou
jd
I think now waivers are the only way to do this. All of my COAs state that the grid altitude on the Facilities Map are absolute with no deviance allowed.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
So a waiver in these situations would be difficult to obtain or not even an option?

So a waiver in these situations would be difficult to obtain or not even an option?
I do not know how difficult it would be to obtain one but I think that a waiver might be your only option. You could always try via LAANC for a COA and see what happens first. Make sure you give them a specific location and state it is for a cell tower inspection along with the tower elevation and your operating height AGL and see what shakes out. At least getting shot down via LAANC will be near-instant versus the waiver route.

You have received some good advice here. I would try to do this by using the LAANC system first. I would also apply thru an online system like Skyward.IO vs the phone apps. The reason being is the online systems allow you a lot of space to input valuable information on how you will mitigate safety issues and how you will plan to accomplish that. The more information you give them as to how you will complete your task safely may get you the approval.

If you try to do it thru the drone zone first, they will know it is a LAANC approved airport and may shoot you down immediately.

If you try and fail to get the approval on the skyward online LAANC app you will be able to add that you were denied an approval via LAANC for a safety inspection of critical infrastructure on the FAA drone zone application. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Normally, technically speaking, you are allowed to fly 400 feet above that tower, if within 400 feet of the structure.... but if this is controlled airspace that most assuredly will change that stipulation.

As said above, try LAANC then waiver. Also, depending on the airport, if they are not on LAANC sometimes they have an online "drone flight notification" system in place.

Last edited:
You can quickly check the location to see if waivers through LAANC are available. Look it up HERE . If it is green, LAANC is available. If red, DroneZone only.

Like R.Martin, all of my CoAs specifically state that adding the height of a structure, like in non-controlled airspace, is not an option. Stated grid height is max. That said, it costs nothing to plead your case in an application. I have been surprised at times with what I have been granted.

Reactions: R Martin
Quick add for you based on experiences; you can get a different response airport to airport, FSDO to FSDO. Sometimes you'll get different responses shift to shift within the same tower.
Agree with those above to test the Low altitude capability first via Skyward, Airmap, etc.
An "Airspace Authorization" (called a waiver above), is not difficult to develop, submit, ,or manage. They have some advantages depending on location and frequency of ops.

If you are flying these assets on a regular basis, I'd recommend submitting an airspace authorization.
I'd also recommend standing up a relationship with the FAA Policies & Procedures supervisor at the tower. It goes a very long way to approval and trust.

Further, after all of this, check your drone manufacturer's restrictions - DJI specifically has significantly different restriction areas around airports than the FAA/LAANC show, so even if you get approval from the authorities, your flight controller might not let you take off, or, worse, might let you take off and then, of it's own will, back you out of a restricted airspace. In case you need it, here's DJI's flysafe page, where you can obtain (where available) a token to unlock an area. Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI

Reactions: BigAl07
This is really a simple issue. anytime you are within 400ft of a structure laterally it is relatively easy to obtain. Just remember to put in your application a very modest above the tower altitude and request the narrowest plausible distance from the tower laterally.

First, apply via Skyward.io Kittyhawk or Airmap. Whichever you like. Then if that is denied or ignored. Apply via Dronezone, if that intern is denied the appeal and ask what safety mitigations you can put in place to achieve the goal.

Remember you are not asking for a Waiver, you are only asking for a COA. This is a major difference as you don't want them to WAVE the rules, you just want to be authorized to fly within the rules.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91