Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Clarification on filming kids

Quad Squad

Reaction score
Website
www.quadsquaddrones.com
I am going to host an outdoor field trip for a class of middle-schoolers. I'd like to film them with the drone while they are out in the field doing a dig, and of course I won't be anywhere near them or over them, and the drone will be far enough away from them so they won't be identifiable in the video.

This is on private property that they have been invited to, and I have the property owners permission.

Any issues one can think of? Thanks.

Privacy is a local ordinance and if you're going to be filming kids I'd make sure I have EVERY parent's signature prior to the event taking place. All it takes is one parent getting upset and you've opened up a Poop Storm on yourself and everyone involved.

Kids/Privacy and Drones don't usually fall into the same sentence in a very positive way unfortunately.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Privacy is a local ordinance and if you're going to be filming kids I'd make sure I have EVERY parent's signature prior to the event taking place. All it takes is one parent getting upset and you've opened up a Poop Storm on yourself and everyone involved.

Kids/Privacy and Drones don't usually fall into the same sentence in a very positive way unfortunately.

Yeah people do get touchy with kids but if you can take the videos/photos far enough away that no one can be identified then you are not violating privacy. Of course I am just a post on a forum so this does not constitute legal advice :p

Parent buy in is a good cover your *** move as always.

In California at least it is about maintaining a reasonable expectation of privacy.

The safety issue to me seems the bigger potential for headaches. You think people get touchy about photos, wait until one of their kids is bleeding. So keep it safe.

Reactions: BigAl07
I did a commercial for a YMCA Camp two years ago. Camp already had parental consent for all Campers. We invited the parents to see during the end of summer party. One parent changed their minds, so a little edit and the video is now the showcase of their site.

My biggest challenge was keeping the kids a safe distance from my staging area. Had to end up using a fenced in area to keep them a safe distance away

My biggest challenge was keeping the kids a safe distance from my staging area. Had to end up using a fenced in area to keep them a safe distance away

We establish a secure LZ using bright orange cones with CAUTION tape between them. The parents and kids both see and understand "mostly" that this means do not enter.

I'm no expert, but the only kids I would photograph are my grand kids, as BigA said, I can see where a real problems could come up, and in this society today I just wouldn't do it, but that is just me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker