Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Class b LANCC

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was recently hired by a company that does all their work in downtown San Diego on high rise buildings in class B airspace. It is also right next to a stadium for the Padres. I was asked by the padres security if I had my permit to fly there which I showed my FAA LANCC confirmation number. I've applied for the LANCC's and been approved for all of them. I went to fly and I couldn't take the drone off saying its a NFZ. I know DJI has it implemented in the drone and you can custom unlock it as I've done it before. I guess my question would be is the LANCC FAA confirmation good enough to abide by the law or do I need another waiver? Also, is it your opinions that DJI's geofencing was the cause of me not being able to take off?

I prefer to abide by all drone laws and do whatever is necessary to keep drone pilots out of bad news.

Thank you all!

Hi all,
I was recently hired by a company that does all their work in downtown San Diego on high rise buildings in class B airspace. It is also right next to a stadium for the Padres. I was asked by the padres security if I had my permit to fly there which I showed my FAA LANCC confirmation number. I've applied for the LANCC's and been approved for all of them. I went to fly and I couldn't take the drone off saying its a NFZ. I know DJI has it implemented in the drone and you can custom unlock it as I've done it before. I guess my question would be is the LANCC FAA confirmation good enough to abide by the law or do I need another waiver? Also, is it your opinions that DJI's geofencing was the cause of me not being able to take off?

I prefer to abide by all drone laws and do whatever is necessary to keep drone pilots out of bad news.

Thank you all!
" I guess my question would be is the LANCC FAA confirmation good enough to abide by the law (which law)"
Well that depends. The LAANC authorization grants you the right to fly in the class B airspace by the FAA. Where you standing on private property? Are there any local or state restrictions to UAS flight?

The DJI NFZ question only you can answer, since we don't know the exact location.

What does DJI NFZ site says?

1580344023918.png

Then there's also FAM to check:

1580344711814.png

Last edited:
LAANC and DJI’s NFZ System are completely separate and not connected. Many times, it is a 2 step process:

1. Obtain permission to fly from the FAA via LAANC for the given airspace.

2. Check DJI’s NFZ geofences areas and see if you need an unlock. Most areas can either Self-Unlock, or get an unlock code online and load it to your controller/aircraft. There are a some areas though, marked in red, that you can only get an unlock code for by contacting DJI directly. They will require your authorization from whatever authority is required, and if they accept it they will issue a code for the Red Zone.

Both of these should be done in advance. Don’t wait until the day of the flight.

I am shooting a building just right of the stadium. From everything I could tell there is no restrictions other than don't fly over the stadium (stadium security already came out and talked to me and I showed them everything they needed.) The parking lot in the picture is the best area for me to take off from as there is nearly no one there at the time of the morning I am flying at. Screenshot is from DJI site.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 4.54.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 4.54.01 PM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 8
I am shooting a building just right of the stadium. From everything I could tell there is no restrictions other than don't fly over the stadium (stadium security already came out and talked to me and I showed them everything they needed.) The parking lot in the picture is the best area for me to take off from as there is nearly no one there at the time of the morning I am flying at. Screenshot is from DJI site.
You are in a -0- FAM zone.You got the LAANC auth. ? You may have to a little negotiating w/ FAA.
1580347468235.png

If you are close, I would verify the unlocking before the day of the flight by going on site.

Attachments

• 1580347341060.png
    1580347341060.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Yeah I got the LANCC authorization for up to 250ft through airman. I believe the only reason I wasn't allowed up may be due to dji's geofencing. But then again, this grid is something I hadn't seen so I will look into it more. Thank you!

Yeah I got the LANCC authorization for up to 250ft through airman. I believe the only reason I wasn't allowed up may be due to dji's geofencing. But then again, this grid is something I hadn't seen so I will look into it more. Thank you!

You got 250' AGL in a 0' AGL via Airmap? Not to be argumentative but something doesn't add up there. As the system is written Airmap should give an immediate denial in a 0' grid and you would then need to submit a request through the Drone Zone.

You may want to check and double check your coordinates as that's not the place you want to say, "Uh oh.... I looked at the map wrong".

You can understand my confusion then. Here’s some screenshots from my AirMap flight

Attachments

• D3FDDDDC-6EE8-48CB-9ABA-3CCC3D61B358.png
    D3FDDDDC-6EE8-48CB-9ABA-3CCC3D61B358.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 75F40650-380C-4838-9E23-07CAFA180417.png
    75F40650-380C-4838-9E23-07CAFA180417.png
    364 KB · Views: 11
You can understand my confusion then. Here’s some screenshots from my AirMap flight
Note that this was a "manual authorization", which is available in some "0 grid" controlled airspace through AirMap. (I've successfully applied for, and received authorization for a 0 grid west of KAFW, for example.) The altitude is surprising, but may have been mitigated by the height of buildings and lack of expected air traffic in that particular grid at flight time.

I'm not familiar with the Skyward app as a LAANC authorization source but, at a glance, what Luis received doesn't look like an outright denial - just a request/requirement for additional information regarding how the PIC intends to mitigate risk to the stadium, nearby airport/manned aircraft, street traffic (vehicular & pedestrian), and the nearby train yard. (AirMap requires a similar clarification.)

Logging that authorization with DJI on the other hand? Well, good luck with that.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Premier Drone Services