Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Class D no LAANC

Perch

Reaction score
Hi! I may need to contact a small local Class D airport for an approval on the edge of approach that has a 300' grid on AirMap - I only need at most 100'. They do not have LAANC available at this airport. This is a new one for me, as I have always had LAANC available for our bigger Class C airport, and so I have never had to actually contact a tower. Where do you go for phone numbers to contact? I don't have any pf the books, like AIM, that some of you may have and I won't have a radio with me. And please, I'm still learning practical parts of working within Part 107, so take it easy on me. :) Thank you!

Hi! I may need to contact a small local Class D airport for an approval on the edge of approach that has a 300' grid on AirMap - I only need at most 100'. They do not have LAANC available at this airport. This is a new one for me, as I have always had LAANC available for our bigger Class C airport, and so I have never had to actually contact a tower. Where do you go for phone numbers to contact? I don't have any pf the books, like AIM, that some of you may have and I won't have a radio with me. And please, I'm still learning practical parts of working within Part 107, so take it easy on me. :) Thank you!

For a non-LAANC serviced airport your request needs to be made online via the FAA's DroneZone. The tower is not authorized to issue any airspace approvals.

Perfect! I got it submitted. I was concerned I needed to get the drone added in my list - which would've been registering it again. It is registered with my employer, so I don't need to. But I was able to submit for approval without having it in my list. Thanks again for the help! :)

Reactions: clintsito and JDS
Perfect! I got it submitted. I was concerned I needed to get the drone added in my list - which would've been registering it again. It is registered with my employer, so I don't need to. But I was able to submit for approval without having it in my list. Thanks again for the help! :)

Should have a response in 7-14 days. With Christmas on the near horizon, it might slow them down a little.

Should have a response in 7-14 days. With Christmas on the near horizon, it might slow them down a little.

HA! Well that makes it difficult to schedule. I usually don't find out about these video shoots until a few days out. Guess I'll need to work on the process of scheduling these out a little farther at work.

HA! Well that makes it difficult to schedule. I usually don't find out about these video shoots until a few days out. Guess I'll need to work on the process of scheduling these out a little farther at work.

...and that is where planning comes into play. File the request for a year. I also throw in multiple locations within the airspace if I think I will be operating there frequently and that is often enough to turn it into a wide-area authorization which gives you access to everything within that particular airports purview. Saves a lot of time.
You mentioned above that you are operating in close to the pattern. That will require special authorization for each flight unfortunately on a case by case basis. You just need to let the client know in advance if it is a non-LAANC job that you need to get approval (and that is never a sure thing) and it will take up to 30 days to do so.

Reactions: Skyflyer129
[/QUOT
I may be the exception. I applied for flight authorization for a non LAANC class D airspace airport and was pleasantly surprised.
HERE is a link to my post concerning the experience and the requirements - hopefully yours will turn out the same.

...and that is where planning comes into play. File the request for a year. I also throw in multiple locations within the airspace if I think I will be operating there frequently and that is often enough to turn it into a wide-area authorization which gives you access to everything within that particular airports purview. Saves a lot of time.
You mentioned above that you are operating in close to the pattern. That will require special authorization for each flight unfortunately on a case by case basis. You just need to let the client know in advance if it is a non-LAANC job that you need to get approval (and that is never a sure thing) and it will take up to 30 days to do so.

It is on the very outer edge in 300' grid, so hoping it's not too much of issue. I will have to look into that Wide-Area Authorization. I live in that Class D and can't fly! LOL Although, I do see people flying around the neighborhood at times....
Thanks R Martin!

Thanks Mavic Mac! Good info there! This was my first attempt at Drone Zone authorization. I need to work on my workflow and parameters a bit when it comes to DroneZone.... I've gotten accustomed to LAANC.

If the airport is part-time class D, you could fly closer when it becomes class E airspace (maybe evenings and weekends). This wouldn't require authorization to fly under or outside class E.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Getting a blanket airspace approval is the way to go if you will be potentially flying in a non-LAANC airports airspace at all . I have applied for blanket authorizations for every non-LANNC airspace is my local area. I now have standing COAs for that that are good for 2 years. So now when I have a client requesting me to fly in the airspace I am good to go and don’t need to schedule so for in advance. This will help you stand out amongst other service providers if you can provide faster turn around since you don’t have to wait for approval. FYI these blanket authorizations are for alltitutes listed on the grids in the UAS facility maps. If I need to fly higher than the listed alititue ceiling or in a “0 grid”, I have to apply for a separate authorization.

FYI these blanket authorizations are for alltitutes listed on the grids in the UAS facility maps. If I need to fly higher than the listed alititue ceiling or in a “0 grid”, I have to apply for a separate authorization.

And THAT is the problem I’m facing now. I’ve had 6 requests over the last 37 days cancelled.....not denied, but cancelled because they weren’t reviewed.....the last 3 were more than 30 days out. 0 grid in surface E, no tower.

Also, we have a part-time Class D that becomes Class G on weekends and evenings. Something to check and see your your situation. That is actually what I meant to reference rather than Class E.

And THAT is the problem I’m facing now. I’ve had 6 requests over the last 37 days cancelled.....not denied, but cancelled because they weren’t reviewed.....the last 3 were more than 30 days out. 0 grid in surface E, no tower.
That’s strange they are being cancelled without review and no explanation. All of my approvals have come within a week or so. And the FAA rep has adjusted the valid days for me. Are you trying to request a blanket authorization for a zero grid? Or is the request for a specific date for a specific operation?

That’s strange they are being cancelled without review and no explanation. All of my approvals have come within a week or so. And the FAA rep has adjusted the valid days for me. Are you trying to request a blanket authorization for a zero grid? Or is the request for a specific date for a specific operation?

Specific.....just need 75’ and 1 hour In a tiny location. All I’m asking for.....however, it is 1.8m from the end of the runway and in the approach/departure path.....logic tells me that any aircraft at 75’ or less 2 miles from the runway has ALOT more to worry about than a little plastic drone.

Specific.....just need 75’ and 1 hour In a tiny location. All I’m asking for.....however, it is 1.8m from the end of the runway and in the approach/departure path.....logic tells me that any aircraft at 75’ or less 2 miles from the runway has ALOT more to worry about than a little plastic drone.
You have to look at this from a manned A/C pilot's perspective. An emergency scenario may create an environment where a pilot needs every bit of that 75 feet'... engine losing power and pilot is barely nursing that engine and dragging it in.

FAA will always err on the side of manned aviation.

Yeah, I’ve not had any issue in the Metroplex proper, even in DFW’s surface B.

The one I’m having trouble with is an hour west, Mineral Wells. No issue with other grids, just the 0 grids close to the airport. Ironically, they have a page on their website trying to attract UAS business, touting the ability to fly in the airspace.

Reactions: adm_geomatics

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91