Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

COA vs 107. For public safety pros and cons of each. Thanks

Dumb Drone Guy

Reaction score
If a drone is under 5.5 oz does that mean you can fly it anywhere or you just don’t have to register it? Thanks gang.

Part 107 and a COA have nothing to do with weight on that end of the spectrum. There is MAX weight that a Part 107 operator can go (55lbs). No min.

In regard to FAA registration for a HOBBY aircraft if it weighs less than .5lbs (255gr) it does not need to be registered. IIRC all Commercial and Public Use aircraft have to be registered as such.

Thanks but they are two different questions. First. Having nothing to do with weight, what are the pros and cons of COA’s versus part 107? The second question. I know that a drone weighing less than 5.5 ounces does not have to be registered, but is it limited to airspace and other regulations because of its size? Meaning, can it be flown in places where registered drones would not be permitted. Can’t seem to get a definite answer from anyone. They can’t seem to find it written anywhere. Thanks very much for your reply.

I may be wrong, but I believe those under 5.5 ounces are considered "toys" and do not have to follow any FAA regulations. I could be way off on that, but that is the impression I have always gotten.

Thanks but they are two different questions. First. Having nothing to do with weight, what are the pros and cons of COA’s versus part 107?

COAs allow the dept to have waivers etc built into the COA so this really allows a Public Safety type of entity to fly with a lot more flexibility. For instance a Dept COA could have the Airspace Authorization built into it and instead of every operator needing to get their AA it's built into the COA.

But COA doesn't allow for "non Dept" flights. For instance a Public Safety Dept (Let's say Police Dept) couldn't use their COA only to fly for marketing, training, etc type of flights. This is one place where you would want each operator to have a min of Part 107 for non Dept designated flights.

Most of the time we suggest a dept start off with all operators getting Part 107 and this allows flights to take place almost immediately. The COA process involves lots of people (attorneys etc) and can take a while to get it right. Start with P107 and then start developing your COA to submit.

The second question. I know that a drone weighing less than 5.5 ounces does not have to be registered, but is it limited to airspace and other regulations because of its size? Meaning, can it be flown in places where registered drones would not be permitted. Can’t seem to get a definite answer from anyone. They can’t seem to find it written anywhere. Thanks very much for your reply.

Restrictions are Restrictions are Restrictions. They aren't weight defined. I can't fly my 200gr aircraft on the approach of KAVL just because it weighs next to nothing. With the FAA if it isn't expressly written as "Approved" then it's not. Restrictions do not define the type of aircraft restricted.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
My Department operates 107 with waivers for daylight and two airspace authorizations for a class c and class d airport. We haven't found the need for a COA yet. Doesn't hurt to have one, but you can get Department waivers on the 107 side, they no longer have to be issued to an individual.

My Department operates 107 with waivers for daylight and two airspace authorizations for a class c and class d airport. We haven't found the need for a COA yet. Doesn't hurt to have one, but you can get Department waivers on the 107 side, they no longer have to be issued to an individual.

I did not know this. Very good info.

The waiver can be issued to a company or department. Mine all are. But a 107 cert must be held by each individual that actually operates the UAS.

So you have waivers for daylight and airspace? Otherwise, you need authorization (a COA) to operate in controlled airspace.

So you have waivers for daylight and airspace? Otherwise, you need authorization (a COA) to operate in controlled airspace.
We have a daylight waiver for class g, and two wide area authorizations for day / night operations in Class D and Class C each with their own altitude restrictions (UASFM) and coordination requirements. The daylight waiver was came first then we submitted for two airspace waivers that came back as authorizations. We have CAPS access, but haven't worked through a Public Aircraft COA as we haven't found the need yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905