Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Current UC Merced Video

R.Perry

Reaction score
I have attempted to put into practice the advice I have been given, I know I have a ways to go in this learning adventure. The books that Fred suggested have been a great help. My problem is I have a very short time window and that window to produce these videos, ( thirty minutes max normally ) so being rushed I know I'm still making some mistakes.

If interested here is the one I shot yesterday, oh, the client asked for music to be added.

As you will see most building exteriors are done, the focus now is on the perimeter work such as concrete and paving.

I have attempted to put into practice the advice I have been given, I know I have a ways to go in this learning adventure. The books that Fred suggested have been a great help. My problem is I have a very short time window and that window to produce these videos, ( thirty minutes max normally ) so being rushed I know I'm still making some mistakes.

If interested here is the one I shot yesterday, oh, the client asked for music to be added.

As you will see most building exteriors are done, the focus now is on the perimeter work such as concrete and paving.

Will not load for me either
Oops, something went wrong.

Ah thank you , that one worked.
Nice flight and job site.
If I may ask the question, what is the purpose for the client as they requested music?
Also wondering if you were looking for any input on editing?
Thanks for sharing

My previous videos had no sound added, client asked for music. I'm very new to video so I'm always looking for constructive criticism. When I watch professionally produced videos then look at mine it is obvious I have a long ways to go.

My whole purpose for sharing is to get feedback and learn how I can improve. Example, the music selection wasn't to my clients liking, I now have music examples of what they want.
The videos are put up on the clients web site and viewed by up to 180 people, both from construction and the college.

Reactions: Recoveryone
@Fred Garvin recommended the book How To Shoot Video That Doesn't Doesn't Suck by Steve Stockman. Based on his recommendation I bought the book and found it excellent.

Also, if you are not aware of it, YouTube has a large library of free downloadable music.

Ah, the issue/problem of pleasing the masses. Not everyone is going to like the music, but you have to remind them that the music is royalty free unless they want to pay ASCAP for a license. Part of what you/we do is educating those that may not know all the details and responsibility that comes with film making, and yes that is what we are doing. Making video's is film making, no matter if its 10k's camera units or even on a cell phone, if you are presenting it to others to view, you are a film maker. Keep up the work!

If you not comfortable with editing yet, enlist some of those smart kids to help from the college, I'm sure one of them could use the extra credit and it can give you a chance to look over their shoulder and see how they do it and their take on what is pleasing to them.

Reactions: Mavic Mac
I'm familar with the free music on You Tube. It is so true that you cam please some of the people but you can't please all the people. As for editing I'm using Corel Video Studio Pro, again still in the learning process. I will wonder over to the active college and have a chat with them, I know they use Adobe and maybe I should as well, that is a good idea. The grand finally will be a six to eight minute video fly through most of the college. That must be done prior to classes starting back up in August.

Are you/have you tried Litchi with waypoints? This could give you smooth, preplanned movements that could be used over and over again. Even if you only used it once, it would help with your quick turn around so that the actual flight would be automated and maybe not have to do any repeat shots.
During the flight you would be less concerned about the flight and shots, since would be preprogrammed.

Are you/have you tried Litchi with waypoints? This could give you smooth, preplanned movements that could be used over and over again. Even if you only used it once, it would help with your quick turn around so that the actual flight would be automated and maybe not have to do any repeat shots.
During the flight you would be less concerned about the flight and shots, since would be preprogrammed.
Unless you are using an Inspire, I just don't see a need to use way points to fly a project for video, that's just me

Funny you mentioned that, all this clips are done with Litchi and waypoints. I tried once letting my observers fly one of the areas and that was a disaster. If I'm working a new area I'll fly it manually to decide on altitudes that I want to fly then set up the flight on litchi, it's flight accuracy does amaze me, it also keeps the speed consistent. Thank for your response.

Here's one I just updated today, I do all my flying free hand

That's really nice. Multivista is going to do the construction progression video, the thing is we didn't start doing video until mid 2018 and they weren't very good. So most of their video will be taken from the thousands of pictures taken since the beginning of the project in 2017.

Reactions: Recoveryone
That's really nice. Multivista is going to do the construction progression video, the thing is we didn't start doing video until mid 2018 and they weren't very good. So most of their video will be taken from the thousands of pictures taken since the beginning of the project in 2017.
I still need to edit it down to 3-4 minutes

This is the very first video I attempted, as I look at it now I'm embarrassed, but I had very little experience with video at the time, so it was turn the camera on and see what happens. This was flown with Litchi, and flew under the cranes that were constantly moving.

This is the very first video I attempted, as I look at it now I'm embarrassed, but I had very little experience with video at the time, so it was turn the camera on and see what happens. This was flown with Litchi, and flew under the cranes that were constantly moving.

We try to improve as practice time increases.Good fun too.
One of things I've gotten away from is long continuous shots. Especially if you have abrupt yaws in the shot. Everything should be smooth. So Edit out those little abrupt turns.
Think of the video as a story. Decide what the story is and edit to tell it fluidly.
If your telling a joke and you hum and ha , your going to lose the interest.
If you put way more info into the joke, it doesnt go over as well.
Only put what needs to be in the video to tell the story and make it smooth.
Try it with your existing video footage and see what your think.
I'm interested to know if you do try
Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91