Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Debating between Inspire 2 and Mavic 2 Pro

Shadowghost

Reaction score
I have a chance of getting an Inspire 2 with the X4S camera and the Mavic 2 Pro for about the same price. I mean with all the extras on the M2P for that price. I am getting back into drones and the reason is a Veteran Friend that does photo and videography doesn't want to do Part 107. He will refer all the drone work to me. He is currently doing a movie project in Nashville and has said that I could be doing drone work on it as well.

Which would be the better choice? The M2P has a better camera but I can upgrade the camera later on to the X7. Trying to make the best decision on spending close to $3000 on a drone and equipment.

Thanks

I have a chance of getting an Inspire 2 with the X4S camera and the Mavic 2 Pro for about the same price. I mean with all the extras on the M2P for that price. I am getting back into drones and the reason is a Veteran Friend that does photo and videography doesn't want to do Part 107. He will refer all the drone work to me. He is currently doing a movie project in Nashville and has said that I could be doing drone work on it as well.

Which would be the better choice? The M2P has a better camera but I can upgrade the camera later on to the X7. Trying to make the best decision on spending close to $3000 on a drone and equipment.

Thanks
The M2P is a great compact stable platform, good overall camera, quick to get airborne, small package to transport, Great choice for many needs, a personal favorite.

Although, Regarding the X4S, I wouldn't say it's less... it's a very popular choice for mapping & terrain for it's leaf shutter & 1" Sensor. It's probably close to the M2P in many ways and better in a few other ways, as well a few short.

The X5S & X7 are great MFT cameras that offer lens options as well. Great options compared to the M2P single camera setup. The X7 & Lens Pak is pricey... personally hard for me to justify.

In comparison to the M2P, the X4S isn't necessarily a lesser option.
Regarding Cinematic the X4S; it's 4K @ 60fps, 100Mbps... and that's 4K at 4096 or 3840, H265 / H264, 20mp 11.6 stops, 1", F2.8 FOV 84 degrees. Compared to the M2P; 4K @ 30fps (3840 4K), 20mp, f2.8, FOV 77 degrees.

The X4S shutter is very nice, mechanical benefits under 1/2000 and Electronic up to 1/8000.
The Leaf Shutter cuts out electronic rolling shutter distortion and prevents motion blur when shooting fast moving objects.

On to craft; the M2P is single battery @ $150, non-heated (could purchase Enterprise Heated), and overall a lower cost craft to maintain, repair & purchase props & batteries. The I2 requires tandem "Paired" batteries @ $180, $360 pair for about the same flight time.

Visually... I find the I2 much easier to observe & track due to physical size.
I find the M2P a little more stable and based on investment & cost, less concerning to fly.

Down to your needs... if OEM f2.8 FOV 77 meets your needs the M2P is probably your focus.
If you desire multiple lenses, larger sensor, multiple camera options, the I2 is your focus.
Over time, the I2 would probably provide more complete cinematic service, but it will cost more to operate.

The M2P is a great compact stable platform, good overall camera, quick to get airborne, small package to transport, Great choice for many needs, a personal favorite.

Although, Regarding the X4S, I wouldn't say it's less... it's a very popular choice for mapping & terrain for it's leaf shutter & 1" Sensor. It's probably close to the M2P in many ways and better in a few other ways, as well a few short.

The X5S & X7 are great MFT cameras that offer lens options as well. Great options compared to the M2P single camera setup. The X7 & Lens Pak is pricey... personally hard for me to justify.

In comparison to the M2P, the X4S isn't necessarily a lesser option.
Regarding Cinematic the X4S; it's 4K @ 60fps, 100Mbps... and that's 4K at 4096 or 3840, H265 / H264, 20mp 11.6 stops, 1", F2.8 FOV 84 degrees. Compared to the M2P; 4K @ 30fps (3840 4K), 20mp, f2.8, FOV 77 degrees.

The X4S shutter is very nice, mechanical benefits under 1/2000 and Electronic up to 1/8000.
The Leaf Shutter cuts out electronic rolling shutter distortion and prevents motion blur when shooting fast moving objects.

On to craft; the M2P is single battery @ $150, non-heated (could purchase Enterprise Heated), and overall a lower cost craft to maintain, repair & purchase props & batteries. The I2 requires tandem "Paired" batteries @ $180, $360 pair for about the same flight time.

Visually... I find the I2 much easier to observe & track due to physical size.
I find the M2P a little more stable and based on investment & cost, less concerning to fly.

Down to your needs... if OEM f2.8 FOV 77 meets your needs the M2P is probably your focus.
If you desire multiple lenses, larger sensor, multiple camera options, the I2 is your focus.
Over time, the I2 would probably provide more complete cinematic service, but it will cost more to operate.

I was just going to say that :)

I was just going to say that :)

Funniest thing I've read today... good play sir :)

For genuine "Cinematic" operations I don't think the M2P compares to the I2. For cost to operate the M2P is hands down the winner but sometimes less is NOT more LOL!

Really it just "depends".....

Reactions: PatR and SanCap
Funniest thing I've read today... good play sir :)

For genuine "Cinematic" operations I don't think the M2P compares to the I2. For cost to operate the M2P is hands down the winner but sometimes less is NOT more LOL!

Really it just "depends".....
LOL... still chuckling... I guess my mind went to a little humor spot... where "less" is NEVER more!

Back on the M2P vs I2. Cinematic: Couldn't agree more, the I2 would be the top choice; but was attempting to contain to the OP's question. Although, I continue to read & view clips where some give good arguments for the M2P indicating several are using it in the capacity... just saying... and I prefer the "More" solution. LOL!!

• Haha
Reactions: SanCap and BigAl07
LOL... still chuckling... I guess my mind went to a little humor spot... where "less" is NEVER more!

Back on the M2P vs I2. Cinematic: Couldn't agree more, the I2 would be the top choice; but was attempting to contain to the OP's question. Although, I continue to read & view clips where some give good arguments for the M2P indicating several are using it in the capacity... just saying... and I prefer the "More" solution. LOL!!

Here's a quick review from someone who has some pretty high-end equipment at his disposal:

PS: Trent Palmer is the MAN when it comes to flying sUAS for $$ and flying STOL aircraft....

Reactions: FlyingGary
I used my Mavic 2 pro today to do a weekly pano that I have done weekly going back to 2016. I can pretty much compare the 2 in very similar conditions, same location and altitude. Example 1 is from today. using the Mavic 2 Pro, example 2 is from almost a year ago using the I2 and X5S and 12mm lens if I am not mistaken.

Example 1, 10-15-19

Example 2, 10-17-18

Reactions: dougcjohn
Here's a quick review from someone who has some pretty high-end equipment at his disposal:

PS: Trent Palmer is the MAN when it comes to flying sUAS for $$ and flying STOL aircraft....
I've seen those a while back... both great videos!

Reactions: BigAl07

As you stated... Trent Palmer is top in the cinematic sUAS field. It's quite the compliment he extends to the M2P, when you consider his normal platforms are at the top of the hill in both craft & cost. Just the cost of the Red without lenses and extras easily exceeds the cost of several M2P's... then add in the platform & associated hardware... Whew!! Big money making Big money!

I have watched his videos last week. Thanks for posting and sharing it with me. I'm leaning towards the I2 only because of being able to upgrade the camera. Depending on a few other things I may just go ahead and buy both drones.

thanks again

Shadowghost

I have watched his videos last week. Thanks for posting and sharing it with me. I'm leaning towards the I2 only because of being able to upgrade the camera. Depending on a few other things I may just go ahead and buy both drones.

thanks again

Shadowghost
There ya go, that's the Best Solution... Get Both!! Enjoy and best of luck!!!

I fly both the Mavic 2 pro, and the Inspire 2. I love the Mavic for many uses and ease of transport. However for my job the I2 is my first choice. Actually I don't have a choice but if I did it would be the I2. You can tie a lot of money into the I2, especially when collecting lens, and batteries. I replaced all the batteries (8 pair) on the I2 after 90 hours, that wasn't cheap.
If you go with the I2, make sure you make enough to support in and put some good money in your pocket.
Best of luck to you.

Reactions: Shadowghost
What I have looked at for the X7 and 3 additional lenses, it will be $7500. That will be down the line some. I need to get my name out there and my work.

Thank you, R.Perry

What I have looked at for the X7 and 3 additional lenses, it will be $7500. That will be down the line some. I need to get my name out there and my work.

Thank you, R.Perry
Impressive price, is that eBay... if not purchasing care to share to forum?

That’s impressively low... but not knowing the battery quantity or lenses. The X7 take a proprietary lens mount, currently limited to the carbon DJI 4 lenses plus 1 after market.

The lowest I’ve seen is around $9k for I2, 10 TB50, and Lens 4 Pak... and that’s a good $1-2k under the norm resale.

If thst’s the direction you‘re after, I’d consider grabbing... I doubt that would come around much.... until the New Series are released and drives X7 down.

Reactions: Shadowghost
The price I quoted was for the X7 and the lenses I want to go with it. That was right from the DJI website. I am hoping to get a bundle deal on the Inspire 2 and a Phantom 4. I will know more on Tuesday.

The price I quoted was for the X7 and the lenses I want to go with it. That was right from the DJI website. I am hoping to get a bundle deal on the Inspire 2 and a Phantom 4. I will know more on Tuesday.
OH, gotcha... ya the common going price for X7 & 4Pak Lens set is $7500.
Best of luck to your new adventures!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV