Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Displaying geo-tagged images overlaid on top of old Google Earth terrain - Maps Made Easy

Kristina Fowler

Reaction score
I seem to remember Maps Made Easy automatically creating KML files that opened in Google Earth and neatly and automatically overlayed a number of geo-tagged images over existing (old) GE terrain - and the resulting image was seamless and up to the minute. Really a nice presentation.

However, I uploaded a survey to MME today, and that KML option was not available. Hoping someone could steer me to a decent alternative. The only option I can find is to overlay a klunky PNG file in GE which requires re-sizing and stretching. Yuck.

The MME version downloaded all the necessary folders and files so that when you opened the KML, GE automatically went looking for the corresponding files on your HD and zoomed to the location - with the new images showing on top of old GE imagery.

Thanks in advance....

Do you mean the .KMZ file? I have not run one through MME in a while but last time the .kmz was part of the package. The .tiff (geotiff) will also load into GE as a layer.

The last GE file I downloaded was a KML. It included all the source files neatly sorted into folders. See sample below.

Bridge_GgltvoN38A.png

kmz files are actually a zipped set of files. kml are single files. Didn't you get a .kmz file with your MME project?

I'm just not seeing it. I think it used to be listed in this menu of products (below):
chrome_4BaJ2bVlfa.png

These are very small surveys (free versions). Wonder if that somehow factors in...

MME is making a significant change to their business model. Perhaps with a free map the produced files are more limited. That did not used to be the case. Here is a picture of the image set that used to be delivered even on a free map. You might ask them whats up on their forum.

Capture.JPG

Agreed But can't complain really. MME (IMHO) has the best and most cost-efficient business model going. Pay-as-you-go is the only way for me at the moment. But I sure do wish they'd reinstate the KMZ. This can't be the only show in town regarding that product. I'll keep looking...

Hey, Kristina. I recently flew a small pay-as-you-go MME mission on March 16th and got a .KMZ file in the package. But it wasn't a free mission. It was just above the free maximum photos. So you might just shoot the MME support a question.

Agreed But can't complain really. MME (IMHO) has the best and most cost-efficient business model going. Pay-as-you-go is the only way for me at the moment. But I sure do wish they'd reinstate the KMZ. This can't be the only show in town regarding that product. I'll keep looking...
As I mentioned earlier you can import the geo Tiff into Google Earth as well.

I have the pro plan on MME. The option is there, but when you initially upload your photos, you need to be sure to check the KMZ option for output.

It will then show up on your Advanced Output options after the images have been processed. Otherwise, you will only get what you request.

If you've already uploaded and processed without the KMZ selection, there is no way of adding the option. You would have to re-upload your images again and make the proper selection.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• KMZ Selection Option.jpg
    KMZ Selection Option.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member