Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI doesn't want to be banned in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Pitman

Reaction score
DJI has been extremely naive with it's assumptions that it could do whatever it wanted regarding it's products and real, or even perceived, data collection without there being real consequences. Years ago now, they could have done something to avert this situation but they obviously thought it was worth it to them to continue and just label anyone protesting as the "tin-hat" crowd.

Guess that is starting to change, finally. Maybe too late though.

DJI has been extremely naive with it's assumptions that it could do whatever it wanted regarding it's products and real, or even perceived, data collection without there being real consequences. Years ago now, they could have done something to avert this situation but they obviously thought it was worth it to them to continue and just label anyone protesting as the "tin-hat" crowd.

This "could" influence future sales but a lot of agencies have already shifted away from DJI and the stain is not likely to be forgotten that quickly. DJI hosed themselves and now they just have to suck it up and deal with it.

And it still amuses me to no end how effectively they can dupe their customer base into accepting their overly aggressive geofencing.

Reactions: WJK
“We are getting caught up in geopolitical issues of the day,” Mario Rebello, vice president of DJI’s North American operations, said in an interview. “There is a lot of fear and hype, and a lot of it is not true and misleading.”

The Chinese from their multi billion dollar space and satellite program, have been spying on the USA for 50 years, do you really think they don't know where every military base, nuclear weapons base, naval base, and other major piece of infrastructure from Dams to Bridges are not located, do you really think they don't have super high res pics of them from satellites that have camera lens the size of a small bus. Their tech is already in all our electronics, because all the major military contractors have been buying Chinese tech since Ronald Reagan so that they could save money. Do you really think a DJI drone can do more spying and data stealing than your own phone? the only reason the Government is concerned about DJI is because it gives this administration another made up talking point to trash China, in some made up trade war, that only hurts American consumers. If our military was serious about spying, they would stop active duty military in war zones form posting selfies with their phones. If your fear is a DJI drone, then you really need to be worried about the Gov in the USA, Which is adding a chipped tagged driver license. Why, to make travel safer??? or maybe to track everything you do. I leave that last sentence for the tin foil cone hats to debate.

The Chinese from their multi billion dollar space and satellite program, have been spying on the USA for 50 years, do you really think they don't know where every military base, nuclear weapons base, naval base, and other major piece of infrastructure from Dams to Bridges are not located, do you really think they don't have super high res pics of them from satellites that have camera lens the size of a small bus. Their tech is already in all our electronics, because all the major military contractors have been buying Chinese tech since Ronald Reagan so that they could save money. Do you really think a DJI drone can do more spying and data stealing than your own phone? the only reason the Government is concerned about DJI is because it gives this administration another made up talking point to trash China, in some made up trade war, that only hurts American consumers. If our military was serious about spying, they would stop active duty military in war zones form posting selfies with their phones. If your fear is a DJI drone, then you really need to be worried about the Gov in the USA, Which is adding a chipped tagged driver license. Why, to make travel safer??? or maybe to track everything you do. I leave that last sentence for the tin foil cone hats to debate.
Well said.
And the US has been spying on the Chinese for decades.....

It's just a silly little game.... and so it continues.

I have far more interesting things to worry about

Reactions: OFAP
Reactions: The Editor
And to sum it up....

"Paranoia reduces anxiety and guilt by transferring to the other all the characteristics one does not want to recognize in oneself. It is maintained by selective perception and recall. We only see and acknowledge those negative aspects of the enemy that support the stereotype we have already created."

Sam Keen.

It amuses me no end how persistent the irrational anti-DJI hysteria and paranoia is.

Irrational? Really? So, you would find nothing wrong if every time you went to drive your car that you would need to use a phone app to contact the vehicle manufacturer to receive an unlock code to start it? That would be "rational" to you?

Reactions: fleiguy
Irrational? Really? So, you would find nothing wrong if every time you went to drive your car that you would need to use a phone app to contact the vehicle manufacturer to receive an unlock code to start it? That would be "rational" to you?

That analogy is far fetched, as a DJI user and I do not know how many will agree that the No Fly Zone was implemented due the request of the FAA that prompted DJI to act upon. DJI has influenced the market in a way that it carved its name and synonymous with the top brands, and with every growth you will have the loyals and the crabs that pulls it down. If we look at the map in our surrounding area of operation the NFZ zone is quite precise in determining where we are operating, and the app reminds me or "Nannyware" as the cool kids call it that I should be careful.

The majority of my work sites are located in close proximity of an airport (Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport) and my new contract, with Alston Construction is near a county jail (Elmwood Correctional Complex in Milpitas, California ) and my GO 4 app reminds me of that I am operating in the NFZ and prompts me to acknowledge and accept full responsibility, the next step is to enter my phone number and in return, get a verification code via text. I do not think this is a problem, because if we will out of LAAC or a physical waiver, we give provide all of our information.

Since the subject is "Safety" from the FAA police, but often enough becomes an experts in one or two or even 10 subjects, however there may be many more things they are not so sure about, so they may say something, that they believe, is true at that time, but later discover that they were very far from reality. So they try to backtrack by correcting their wrong words by doing the right virtual action. But it is too late because the actions and words don’t match.

I do not think that DJI is hurting, and yes I had a falling out, with them in the past (a member on here and in the Yuneec forum is quick to remind me that) and broke bread with DJI and I even posted a photo back in December. And if this topic will go to the wayside to becoming a brand war. I have supported Yuneec for almost close to a year, and I cannot lie, I made money with it, when the docs were on their early stages of construction, and if again this topic will go to the wayside. Cheerleaders should not feel that one is superior to the other because, at the end of the day, we all grind to make a living and fee our family, regardless of what tools we use.

Irrational? Really? So, you would find nothing wrong if every time you went to drive your car that you would need to use a phone app to contact the vehicle manufacturer to receive an unlock code to start it?
That would be "rational" to you?
If I had a flying car that I could fly into no fly zones and potential conflict with real aircraft that would not be unreasonable.
But I don't so I think your analogy isn't appropriate.
I don't think DJI's application of their NFZ policy supports the irrational fears that DJI is spying on you or your country.

Reactions: R.P..R
Ok, make it a Cessna that is fully capable of flying into TFR, DC SFRA, conflicting with other manned aircraft, crashing into towers, buildings, the ground, etc. Same deal. Fully licensed. Plane registered. Pilot current and legal to fly. Tower clears you for take off, flight plan filed, all set. Now have to contact Cessna for permission to fly?????

And I don't think the aggressive NFZ and permissions mean they are spying. But it does mean they have a higher level of knowledge of where, when and how you are flying. And that they feel they have the authority to exercise control over who accesses the NAS using their products.

But I get it. You guys luvs you your DJI and will put up with their business practices to use the product. I like their products but don't like their practices. But I'll leave it alone.

But I get it. You guys luvs you your DJI and will put up with their business practices to use the product. I like their products but don't like their practices.
The first three posts in the thread were based on a presumption that DJI is somehow spying on users and/or the USA rather than their implementation of NFZ policy.
It's a theme that comes up often from some people and nothing will convince them otherwise.

The US government seemed concerned about it and DJI has responded with their Government version stuff. Kind of funny that they would have to do that if there was not at least come kernel of truth to the claims.

Reactions: PatR
The US government seemed concerned about it and DJI has responded with their Government version stuff. Kind of funny that they would have to do that if there was not at least come kernel of truth to the claims.
That case only vaguely mentioned "potential cybersecurity issues" and never explained what that meant.
But on the forums etc, many have assumed it meant DJI is spying although that doesn't stand up to thoughtful analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM