Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI Geolock SUCKS!

FLYBOYJ

Reaction score
Had a job to do close to an uncontrolled airport (class G airspace) that was Geolocked on the DJI website. I went through the process and to be safe "unlocked" 2 drones, a Mavic Pro and a P3P. As I was walking out the door I had a not-so-good feeling about the whole thing and took my Typhoon H along as well. Turns out the Typhoon H was a life saver as both DJI drones were turned into bricks. I was later told that DJI had some server issues and that was probably the cause.

I like DJI products but their Geolock system sucks!

I hate it too. And I can never remember what to do to unlock it. I got it to work only once. I think they should have a way for part 107 license holder to entirely unlock it, and they just give us warnings.

My local airport is sfc e during operational hours (06:00 to 22:30) but G before 06:00. I can't get DJI to unlock for flying early morning before operational hours.

There is software available to removed the locks. My P4P has no locks on it, but I haven't updated the firmware. My attitude now with DJI is if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
I would be interested in the software as well. I lost a commercial shoot because of the geolock being finicky. Check the location the day before, unlock code worked fine, had authorization from the tower for my flight, jumped through every hoop necessary, and still day of shoot DJI made me look like a fool. Didn’t matter what I tried, could not get passed the geolock even though it worked the day before.
I get there needs to be some control to keep the morons out of trouble, but to tank commercial pilots who do everything by the book is ridiculous.

Reactions: Gcarb63
DJI isn't doing geofencing for regulatory reasons. (If they were, every other manufacturer would be doing the same.) They're doing it because their legal department is going overboard with liability CYA.

I just tried to locate the software and it may have been pulled off the market. Will keep looking when I can. Also do a google search.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Personally I'm sick of the Chinese dictating what we can and can't do.

the web site is nolimitdronez.com it will eliminate all restrictions. The thing is if one does this I highly recommend making sure you are flying legally. As far as I know there are no current laws making illegal to eliminate GEOLOCK.

Had a job to do close to an uncontrolled airport (class G airspace) that was Geolocked on the DJI website. I went through the process and to be safe "unlocked" 2 drones, a Mavic Pro and a P3P. As I was walking out the door I had a not-so-good feeling about the whole thing and took my Typhoon H along as well. Turns out the Typhoon H was a life saver as both DJI drones were turned into bricks. I was later told that DJI had some server issues and that was probably the cause.

I like DJI products but their Geolock system sucks!
Right ON! I have dumped DJI Mavic Air 2 and the Mini 2 which I purchased and got me a new Autel II with 8X zoom and NO NFZ enforced. For some reason DJI wants to be the FAA of the USA police. They have no legal authority to restrict flights and may also be violating the FAA rules themselves as the airspace in the USA is under the sole authority of the FAA and not China DJI! I hope someone files a lawsuit against them, I am the first to contribute

Understanding that this is an old thread, I had a new experience last week with DJI's Unlock. I obtained an authorization from DJI a few days before the shoot near a non-towered airport. I showed up at 8 AM and couldn't fly. Then I noticed on my phone, the authorization didn't start until 12:00:00 that day. But on the DJI Self-Unlock page (on the bottom underneath the map), it clearly states that the authorization starts at 0:00, same day.

I was able to obtain an instant authorization through the app, so no harm done this time. It would be nice if DJI knew the difference and would fix this.

Right ON! I have dumped DJI Mavic Air 2 and the Mini 2 which I purchased and got me a new Autel II with 8X zoom and NO NFZ enforced. For some reason DJI wants to be the FAA of the USA police. They have no legal authority to restrict flights and may also be violating the FAA rules themselves as the airspace in the USA is under the sole authority of the FAA and not China DJI! I hope someone files a lawsuit against them, I am the first to contribute
First off WELCOME to the forum :)

DJI placing GeoFencing on their aircraft is in NO way infringing upon the FAA's authority over airspace. That's no different than cars manufacturers putting restrictors/governors on their throttles and then us claiming it violates DOT Rules for control of speed limits etc.

GeoFencing, although it's a PAIN for many of us who know and follow the rules religiously, has helped keep a lot of NIAVE operators from doing some really DUMB things. I don't like it but I can fully understand why DJI implemented it in the first place.

I do feel like there should be an OverRide option to completely turn it off via DJI but they don't seem to agree. So we just work around it the best we can.

As stated, this is an old thread and on going problem for many. If the FAA required us to use GeoFencing I would. However it just makes it so much easier to get the authorization and then do what you need to do.
GeoFencing has been eliminated on both of my drones and will remain so. Besides it makes me feel good to know I can keep the Chinese from dictating where I can fly.

Reactions: Gcarb63 and BigAl07
Just a side note for those that are experiencing similar issues with DJI drones. I had a building inspection shoot scheduled for a client and needed authorization to fly in an Authorization Zone. I tried several times to do a Self=Unlock from my home computer with no success (the cursor needed to choose the area of operation would not appear). After contacting DJI the support tech advised me to use a different browser. Same problem. Then, he told me to use the Custom Unlock and to upload a photo of my drone when asked for documentation. I have done this kind of unlock many times using LAANC authorizations and this struck me as a bit strange, but it worked.

BTW, my first attempt to fly the site failed because the unlocked area was off by a quarter mile. I learned to, a) Always use the lat/long coordinates (not the site address), and, b) check the map from the authorization confirmation when viewing the 'unlocking licenses' for the aircraft.

Hope this workaround saves someone else from losing a job.

NoLimitDronez can completely unlock the OP's MavicPro, P4P and Inspire2... but the newer Mavic2Pro/Zoom or M2E doesn't gain much from NoLimitDrone's SW purchase. You'll need to purchase the Mainboard to gain features. The mainboard is a pricey purchase, especially if you have intentions to upgrade to M3P when released... you'd need continue using the M2P to justify the $600 board purchase. Nice advantage of new Mainboard, not effected by new FW updates, it'll maintain all the unlocks. Incidently, it is a DJI board that has a FW Root performed to unlock features.

Incidentally, the Mavic Air 2 isn't in their short term list to address. The M600Pro is there current project... and it's being a challenge.

Personally, the P4Pv2, MP & I2 unlocked are a great low cost mod @$40 each... and they often have a 40% off sales.

With the newer models, NLD may be about at the end of their capabilities.

Personally I'm sick of the Chinese dictating what we can and can't do.

the web site is nolimitdronez.com it will eliminate all restrictions. The thing is if one does this I highly recommend making sure you are flying legally. As far as I know there are no current laws making illegal to eliminate GEOLOCK.
Unfortunately, they don't have it for the Matrice series. Have checked twice in the past 6 months. They don't even have it on their roadmap. Seriously considering an EVO II Dual T. Waiting to get some feedback from Tom and JD in Colorado. You can get a permanent unlock code from DJI if you have a COA, but not for Part 107. Ridiculous!

Unfortunately, they don't have it for the Matrice series. Have checked twice in the past 6 months. They don't even have it on their roadmap. Seriously considering an EVO II Dual T. Waiting to get some feedback from Tom and JD in Colorado. You can get a permanent unlock code from DJI if you have a COA, but not for Part 107. Ridiculous!
True for M200 & M300 series, Not even on their project list.
They have been working on M600Pro platform for last 6-10 months, their first 2 efforts failed per David at NLD.

Yeah this needing an internet connection to get around some of the Geofencing and sending DJI employees proof of a LAANC authorization for the other is bogus. Next drone upgrade probably won't be a DJI for this reason, this is absurd. I don't personally care how they justify it or whether it stops newbie flyers from doing something they're not supposed to, the fact that there is no way to completely disable it is rotten.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV