Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI Phantom 5 Pro V1 Just Released

Makes you wonder if DJI is moving away from the Prosumer drone market/ Got the Spark and Mavic, then a giant leap to the Phantom RTK, M200 or M600. Last three releases have been non-flying devices aimed at hipsters and kids.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Spark 2 is coming soon.....the Air is a great fit between the Mavic 2 and Spark.....The Inspires are neatly between the Mavic and Matrice.....I don’t see the M210 cannibalizing the I2. I hope the I2 gets Occusync to use the Smart Controller....unless they worry it’ll eat into Cendance.

DJI is a genius by the studying the age group.

In drones they remained on top. DJI shut down GoPro years ago, and when GoPro is starting to make a comeback the Osmo mobile came out, and on top of that the Osmo Action also made a debut.

DJI has captured the hearts of social media influencers, bloggers and V-blogger following the brand like a groupie. “If you make it they will come” and it is hard to deny that DJI is synonymous with quality.

DJI is stamping themselves as legendary by proving that they are innovators.

There goes Yuneec... Yuneec can’t even release the RTK on time.. [emoji23] and all they did was make a new canopy mold, installed a new module, and create more heat inside the poor ventilated drone.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
nag nag nag!

You need a DJI. There’s no way around it, specially for a self proclaimed construction operator flying a Yuneec Typhoon H 480 taking pics a missing link albino alligator over the murky Florida swamp waters.

Yuneec as we know it is dead. New members at the age of 20-30 has left the room.

Seems the side of the deck he deals from changes from one forum to another.

Yuneec die hards are bashing DJI and it’s always the same topic, same story from the Jurassic members.

Yuneec has a problem, duly because it is momentarily a mediocre platform, and you yourself admitted that.

You shuffles the deck around, and has not really made a staple in helping others in that forum with concrete information in helping a member.

I love both my Typhoons....the H Pro and the H+. They’re both very capable aircraft and the C23 on the H+ produces entry level imagery...works just fine for what I do.

However, @R.P..R Is right. Yuneec better step up their game. The more work I get and the more out & about I go, I realize I need an I2 with at least an X5S and a few lenses. The expectation and image quality of the MFT is just what clients want. Plus, some expect DJI Go4 for data integration with their systems.

It is what it is. You can support Yuneec all you want.....and I do....but if I don’t get an I2 system, I’ll remain an afterthought.....or niche operation. There’s a lot of work out there I can’t get without one.

No argument from me in any of that.

As for helping others, I’m not one to repeat myself many times over. Anyone that can’t find an answer to a Typhoon H issue using the search function in that forum isn’t qualified to fly one. There hasn’t been a new issue/failure mode in almost two years. The info is already there.

I also won’t give away instructions on how to perform work that could be used to compete against my interests. I don’t have a narcissus complex that requires constant admiration and I certainly don’t believe that assisting others in developing their businesses in every step of their operations can benefit me in any way.

If people don’t know what to do, how to do it, where to look for bonafide reference info, or fail to understand basic business principles they are playing a game they are not qualified for snd the best they will do is underprice their services, which in turn ruins the market for everyone else.

Achieving “Jurassic” status is something to be proud of. It means you were smart enough to survive long enough to achieve it, even after riding around a lot in USMC, U.S. Navy, and Euro state helicopters[emoji6]

Last edited:
This is V1. V2 will have the capability to "Transform" into a drone. OK, just a little fun. Now you can take your BP medicine and a deep breath. And keep waiting. At least we know now what they are working on :)

My first reaction to the Robo S1 was.... What The....
Although it has zero value to me or my needs, it is a very interesting & capable machine, that will touch many on multiple tangents.

Watched a few videos... this one’s added humor made it both informative & entertaining.

This is simply 1 more of the many side market/new market endeavors DJI has elected to enter, their foresight of profitable markets to pursue & take risk is showing as one of their major competitive strengths!

The programming robo environment, similar to the early days of drone environment is widening from the college nerd tech elite geeks; DJI recognized early, as with the consumer drone market. Their foresight will be twofold: they’ll be the brand name leader in the consumer market and they’ll be able to shape & mold the market initially.

But that isn’t their intended focus, I also see it in a broader view... DJI is entering & testing the perspective market for complex robotics for enterprise or govt scale. They start with developing the consumer market, and target more robust technical units for professional environment. All the specialty robots for law enforcement, military, bomb units, etc. The Older established Robo shops need to prepare themselves for a major hit... similar to all the specialty small scale - ultra high cost drone shops took a major hit when DJI entered and they didn’t react to competition and resulted in losing a huge professional market share: police, SAR, cinema, etc.

The same is clearly written in huge font on the wall for enterprise robotics. (Not manufacturing robotics, movable action robots.... manufacturing may come later). The end game is to capture robotics in the same market environment they have market control in enterprise drones. A police / fire unit... why not work with 1 provider for robotics & drones. DJI will surly incorporate the two, improving both tools. Exp: drone communicating with bomb bot, providing video and assisting in overall tactics... or bomb sniffing (IR, Thermo, various sensors) locating for Bomb Bot.

As with the early drone leader’s initial position: drones require hi-skilled operators, hi-technical to build & maintain... they securely felt protected with the complex technological barrier wall. Along comes DJI with software assisting the operator and reliable hardware. For the police, fire fighters, etc... The ease of use, the flexibility of modifying the mission, the incorporated video systems... DJI provided the tools to the mass, and the specialized personnel in other fields with minimal training or comprehension of the mechanics... a “Tool”.

We’re soon to see a change in “the” robotics market.

Last edited:
Perhaps more of a change in the public perception of drones. DJI has not been the first in developing ground or aquatic purposes by a long shot, and our STEM programs have revolved heavily around robotic design and applications. As for government applications, at least with ours, they are almost begging for domestically made C2 systems.

With all due respect, the open source community was, and still is, way ahead of DJI in providing user friendly methods of incorporating widely available, non proprietary products while permitting programming flexibility.

Last edited:
Perhaps more of a change in the public perception of drones. DJI has not been the first in developing ground or aquatic purposes by a long shot, and our STEM programs have revolved heavily around robotic design and applications. As for government applications, at least with ours, they are almost begging for domestically made C2 systems.

With all due respect, the open source community was, and still is, way ahead of DJI in providing user friendly methods of incorporating widely available, non proprietary products while permitting programming flexibility.
Agree with ya... kinda my point. DJI aren’t first, and in several respects not as sophisticated either; as indicated they break new ground in consumer / enterprise markets consistently becomming a noticeable player, or often market share controller... market leader. Apple wasn’t first... and the previous market leaders currently have minimal market in the area Apple attacked... they have radios, but because they’re superior or havn’t been aggressively attacked in product.

Regardless of other systems being superior in some categories, they don’t retain, gain or threaten the market DJI targets... I’ll easily estimate the majority drones in LEO, Fire, Realty, Construction, and others is DJI. The other pioneers had ample time to establish & control... and basically didn’t even try thinking it wasn’t a challenge.

As you indicated, they weren’t first... they gained control in several targeted markets. They tend to be repeating that in other tangents recently. I think you’ll see police, fire, and others using common hardware for ground & air and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s DJI.

Neither would I as DJI does a superb job of marketing their products and services to higher end organizations. They also remove the restrictions that inhibit use of their aircraft.

Those for the most part the “restrictions” aren’t difficult to lift when needed.

Although that too... restrictions, sky safety, sync’ed logs, aircraft awareness, etc is getting positive attention from policy makers. That too will probably be a DJI’s benefit in multiple ways eventually. There was a need in this area and DJI jumps in with commitment & resources... the payoff is yet to be known.

The Robo S1 and GoPro alternative Osmo Sport aren’t in my toolbox of needed tools. But I will admit, that little Osmo Pocket looks interesting for a smooth walkthrough or tourist site capture... introduce an Osmo pocket “dual” with thermo, now it’s a tool to compete with FLIR One Pro.

I’m still waiting for the small phantom size or smaller, maybe foldable hex, if it’s more than vapor... it may be an impressive platform that challenges and probably takes the market.

Sadly, the STEM program is an attempt to recover not to remain on top.

The STEM programs were initiated to encourage interest from young girls (very low female percentage) and sharp declining number of interested boys. The STEM development & encouragement was a result of our schools previously placing minimal importance on technical skills and minimal importance of science & math education. As a society, we discouraged science, engineering and math “real” skills & careers because it was more profitable to be the other more accepted Professional: lawyers, finance, doctors, media & politics... only problem, that only accounts for a small percentage of the workforce.

No one really cared, our needs were being meet by other countries cheap labor and manufacturing. That was the Catalyst where our technology foothold started to slip! We focused on maximum profits using offshore production. The USA Universities had a huge flood of H-1B and O-1A Visa’s and again no one really cared because we were obtaining cheap... very cheap highly skilled people for much less than our society could begin to educate and train our own youth. Within a few years, the USA fell like a rock in STEM related education and skills... both rating & performance.

It’s not hard to guess what nations excelled in STEM, one reason why Asian, Russian, Middle East industries excelled within the same time period. Even in depressed nations, they motivated youth to excel in STEM related education & skills.

Until recently (stopped monitoring it few years back) our STEM program students were primarily the same nationality as the stronger STEM nations, the participation didn’t include many caucasian or black... not much interest or parental motivation. If there was parental motivation, it was normally within the minorities... and that has been beneficial... many being the 1st to attend college.

The STEM programs have been marginally successful, no where near as desired or originally hoped. It hasn’t turned the tide of decline much, our STEM overall educational rating isn’t at the top of the nations.

On an uptick, the regained interest in technical skills (including non-STEM technical skills) and the associated education & training has swung more positive in the last few years. Several TV shows have assisted and current trends in trade have assisted... overall, the message has been there are alternatives to traditional college with STEM focused community colleges and Non-STEM Technical training centers. Combine that with higher educational STEM degrees is a positive move compared to years past.

Hopefully that will continue and gain momentum.

I love both my Typhoons....the H Pro and the H+. They’re both very capable aircraft and the C23 on the H+ produces entry level imagery...works just fine for what I do.

However, @R.P..R Is right. Yuneec better step up their game. The more work I get and the more out & about I go, I realize I need an I2 with at least an X5S and a few lenses. The expectation and image quality of the MFT is just what clients want. Plus, some expect DJI Go4 for data integration with their systems.

It is what it is. You can support Yuneec all you want.....and I do....but if I don’t get an I2 system, I’ll remain an afterthought.....or niche operation. There’s a lot of work out there I can’t get without one.

Thankfully I got rid of my Typhoon H Plus 3 days ago, with all the accessories, and invested on adding another M2P with Hassy, but this time around I went with the enterprise package instead of the Anafi after a lot of research.

I will be doing a lot of traveling this season from Hawaii to Cali since I’m not ready to get rid of my current contracts in California and I need a compact sUAS for travel.

And if the new “Super Typhoon H Plus” is better and greater in terms of build quality, satellite connectivity, firmware reliability. I’ll come back to the Yuneec family, but for now, I’m done supporting Yuneec.

I do love flying my Typhoon H Plus, because it easily paid for itself, but Yuneec has a lot to work on. Thus, I’m done.

Reactions: dougcjohn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905