Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

DJI TB50 & 55 Batteries still causing emergencies

Gabe

Reaction score
A fellow instrument rated, and 107 pilot, Steve Rhode working for Wake Forest Fire Dept., NC gave me a green light to post one of his newsletter articles.

I just put the brakes on a Matrice 210 combo/FLIR/Z30 purchase until DJI gets it right.

Scariest Matrice Flight of My Life, So Far
The problem with the DJI TB50 and TB55 batteries is ongoing despite a firmware update. In fact, even with the update I have grounded our Matrice until further notice. Everyone has to make their own judgment but in my opinion the risk of injury to people and damage to the aircraft is too high for continued operations at this point. This problem is impacting Matrice 200 series and Inspire 2 aircraft.
On a mission flight the other night the problems really raised their ugly head. Even though I had installed all DJI updates and flight tested the aircraft with a set to TB55 batteries to exhaustion at 6" above the ground without any error, it did not show the overall problem.
In this post I present a video showing the problem in flight and the dangerous and inconsistent symptoms. See DJI Battery Issues Create Extremely Dangerous Flight Experience
Here is some candid advice I gave to a good pilot friend. “The firmware problem is consistently inconsistent and that is where the big issue is.
Unfortunately I just flat out grounded myself until the problem is resolved. You can imagine being out on a search and rescue or inspection and all of a sudden the Automatic Landing (AL) kicks in. There is no way to stop it. The aircraft is going down.
Since publishing that post I've heard from others who are experiencing the same issue. I've also heard from folks who are flying anyways. [Note: Each pilot and department has to make the decision for themselves since we do not have an agency in the United States that can order you to ground your aircraft.]
You can imagine the insane risk I would have faced if I had flown the 210 out further, even over a buildings, on the [redacted] and the thing AL near [redacted]. In fact at one point the EOC asked me to get closer and I said no. It was one of those moments when the role and responsibilities of the pilot have to override command requests.
I flew to what I considered the limit of safety and minimized damage that might occur if the aircraft had a flight failure. I elevated my risk by continuing to fly once I had run into the AL issue given the information it was generating was being used and important. But once the flight was over that was it.

While the video shows the dreaded AL problem, it does not show the other RTH error message that seems to randomly appear. Those you can cancel and continue flight.

If you'd like to be added to his newsletter/email list. [email protected].

What needs to be understood is that the FW update was NOT to address the battery situation. So many departments saw an update and "assumed" it was to address the TB50/55 battery issues and it was not. The timing was simply coincidental.

Reactions: Gabe and R Martin
What needs to be understood is that the FW update was NOT to address the battery situation. So many departments saw an update and "assumed" it was to address the TB50/55 battery issues and it was not. The timing was simply coincidental.

Yep, was in CA last week and visited a local PD with two new 210's. During a demo, the first set of TB55's showed a voltage error. Before they pushed in a second set, I asked them what their procedure was with the battery issue. They said nothing, we updated and started flying again.

Last edited:
Yep, was in CA last week and visited a local PD with two new 210's. During a demo, the first set of TB55's showed a voltage error. Before they pushed in a second set, I asked them what their procedure was with the battery issue. The said nothing, we updated and started flying again.
Keep those Inspires and Phantoms handy. ;)

Before they pushed in a second set, I asked them what their procedure was with the battery issue. They said nothing, we updated and started flying again.

Kind of surprising (for me) that a PD would not have developed a procedure to cover this. Maybe they (this particular PD) shouldn't be using the tech...

I have seen on DJI’s website they hope to have a firmware update pushed out this month. Has anyone heard when that will actually happen?

Per Ken Booth post earlier.
DJI Releases New Firmware Updates For TB50 and TB55 Batteries
Improved Firmware Addresses Early Return-To-Home or Automatic Landing of M200 Series Drones Without Compromising Measures Implemented To Maintain Flight Safety
DJI has released new firmware updates for users of TB50 and TB55 batteries which address the small number of reports of Matrice 200 Series drones experiencing early Return-to-Home (RTH) or Automatic Landing (AL). These cases are not due to product performance issues but are false alarms triggered by conservative measures DJI implemented last month to prevent any further potential of M200 series drones experiencing loss of power mid-flight. DJI continues a thorough investigation of the root cause of the issue until it is fully resolved.
This new firmware update (v01.02.0301) further improves the algorithm accuracy of the battery management system to enhance user experience without compromising flight safety and product reliability which are DJI’s top priorities. The update is not mandatory, but M200 series drone operators are strongly advised to allow extra time before their next flight to update their drone and batteries to this latest firmware to minimize disruption to their operations.
For TB55 batteries used with M200 series drones, the firmware update will impose these new battery safeguards:
Additional battery heating before take-off
The additional heating will prevent batteries from turning off unexpectedly at low temperatures. The temperature of both batteries must now be 16°C (61°F) or higher before the aircraft can take off. This is because a battery with low temperature has a higher internal resistance, which causes lower voltage than in warmer conditions. A battery with low voltage will provide a lower level of power to the drone, and hence impose higher risk of a power loss[1].
Improved battery percentage and fault detection
The battery percentage check before take-off has been improved, and users will be warned when the battery is faulty or the remaining battery charge suddenly jumps to a false higher percentage. The voltage of the battery will be used to verify the SOC value by the further improved DJI algorithm in the new firmware. This SOC value will be compared to the one calculated by the battery SOC calculation algorithm to determine if there is a “false high” SOC reading. If there is a “false high” SOC reading, then the aircraft will not be able to take off.
Enhanced Return-to-Home (RTH) or Automatic Landing
When the DJI algorithm detects a difference in SOC levels (this calculation runs within the battery and is therefore not visible to users through the screen) between the algorithm and the actual level that is too large, RTH (return-to-home) will be activated at a detected battery level of 30% and Automatic Landing (AL) activated at 10% (based on the DJI algorithm). Previously observed false alarms, that triggered early RTH or AL in a small number of cases, have been reduced drastically.
For TB50 batteries used with M200 series drones, the firmware update will impose this new battery safeguard:
Additional battery heating before take-off
The additional heating will prevent batteries from turning off unexpectedly at low temperatures. The temperature of both batteries must be 16°C (61°F) or higher before the aircraft can take off. This is because a battery with low temperature has a higher internal resistance, which causes lower voltage than in warmer conditions. A battery with low voltage will provide a lower level of power to the drone, and hence impose higher risk of a power loss[2].
Please note:
Pilots who are using drones of both the DJI M200 series and the DJI Inspire 2 with TB50 batteries may continue to receive an "inconsistent firmware" notification when using batteries updated with different firmware versions. This may lock the drone. DJI advises that pilots use batteries upgraded with the same firmware until a new firmware update is released in January. After further testing and simulations, DJI decided not to issue a scheduled temporary firmware update for the Inspire 2 this month as there is no indication of flight safety being compromised. Using batteries upgraded with the same firmware will solve this compatibility issue in addition to improving overall user experience.
As with all Lithium batteries, there are several factors that impact the usability of your TB50 and TB55 batteries, including external variables such as weather and altitude where your flight takes place, as well as factors in your control such as storage and handling methods. Please read our Intelligent Flight Battery Safety Guidelines and follow our updated user guidelines to help minimize potential disruption to your operations.
If you believe you may have experienced a related power problem involving the TB50 or TB55 battery, please contact DJI customer service atdji.com/support to report the issue.

DJI Support – Here for You – DJI

Reactions: R Martin
But...this is only meaningful for M200-series users.

Inspire 2 users (TB50 batteries) are still stuck with the November update (battery firmware ending in .71).

I checked yesterday and the update is not available for the DJI Battery Station which will update all the batteries in the charging slots in one operation...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV