Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Downtown Airspace Waiver

Reaction score
Can someone help/give me a refresher on 39.0903°N 94.5814°W on the following map (across the river from Wheeler Airport in the center of the image). How do I get permission to fly this spot and possibly even fly at 450'? Really appreciate any direction.

Attachments

• 82BEC890-EA5A-4DA1-93F8-B7E36993D8A2.jpeg
    82BEC890-EA5A-4DA1-93F8-B7E36993D8A2.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 34
It looks like Class D airspace up to 3300'. You'll have to file for 1) an airspace authorization (107.41) and 2) an operating limitations waiver (107.51) at FAADroneZone

As a "refresher", Class D is indicated by the dashed blue circle. The value between brackets, in this case [33], indicates the ceiling of that airspace in hundreds of feet, which is 3,300' in this example.

Reactions: Rasit and shooter
I called on a few of mine a couple weeks ago and they are working on submissions from 5 months ago. It's supposed to be 90 days.

Can someone help/give me a refresher on 39.0903°N 94.5814°W on the following map (across the river from Wheeler Airport in the center of the image). How do I get permission to fly this spot and possibly even fly at 450'? Really appreciate any direction.

If you plan to fly in the red, the waivers mentioned above apply.

If you plan to fly in the yellow area and have a DJI product, it can be unlocked.

Attachments

• Unlock.jpg
    Unlock.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 27
If you plan to fly in the red, the waivers mentioned above apply.

If you plan to fly in the yellow area and have a DJI product, it can be unlocked.
Interesting ... what's the red radius represent? I'm in the yellow, across the river. How would I unlock my I2 via the DJI Go app?

Interesting ... what's the red radius represent? I'm in the yellow, across the river. How would I unlock my I2 via the DJI Go app?

The red represents a DJI "Restricted Zone"... If you power up anywhere in that zone, your engines won't even turn on.

This page will provide instructions on how to unlock your I2 for the yellow zone.

Dave,

The "red zone" that @shooter mentioned has nothing to do with the official airspace boundaries. That is just DJI's effort to help prevent people from flying in the immediate vicinity of an airport.

You were right in using the sectional to determine airspace. If you plan to fly anywhere inside the blue dashed line surrounding MKC (legally) you'll need an authorization and/or waiver.

The DJI "Unlock" process is simply a method to allow your aircraft to fly in that location. It doesn't help out with the legality of flying in that airspace.

Reactions: ianwood
Dave,

The "red zone" that @shooter mentioned has nothing to do with the official airspace boundaries. That is just DJI's effort to help prevent people from flying in the immediate vicinity of an airport.

You were right in using the sectional to determine airspace. If you plan to fly anywhere inside the blue dashed line surrounding MKC (legally) you'll need an authorization and/or waiver.

The DJI "Unlock" process is simply a method to allow your aircraft to fly in that location. It doesn't help out with the legality of flying in that airspace.

Yep, thanks for the expansion...

Dave,

I figured as much but thanks so much for the insight.

It looks like Class D airspace up to 3300'. You'll have to file for 1) an airspace authorization (107.41) and 2) an operating limitations waiver (107.51) at FAADroneZone

As a "refresher", Class D is indicated by the dashed blue circle. The value between brackets, in this case [33], indicates the ceiling of that airspace in hundreds of feet, which is 3,300' in this example.
Do you know if/how I could get a blanket AA for this area?

Just a heads up, it appears that the FAA has stopped giving 107.41 Waivers and instead is issuing wide area authorizations that essentially say, stick to the Grid Altitudes. We can get coordination for public safety reasons if the grid altitudes don't work. Our waiver request came back as an Authorization with no sections (ie 107.41 ) waived. It was good for 2 years instead of the 4 years for our night waiver. YMMV, but that is what I have been told is the current direction of travel for the FAA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM