Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Drone owners association

Bob

Reaction score
Since there is a NRA for firearm owners, I wonder if we need to start something similar here perhaps at the state level to help educate, advise and assist our lawmakers with regulations that affect our industry and hobby. It was mentioned to me today by a good friend who is the chief of staff for one of our state representatives. Just thinking out loud.

Bob you may want to look on some local FB groups to see if what you're looking for has already been created. I wouldn't be surprised to see one in Tx already because Texas is ahead of the curve in many aspects of sUAS.

We have one here in NC as of last year:
NC UAS Pilots Association

I have found some local groups but they seem more about just meeting and talking about the drones that they have and flying not really a political type of organization but I will definitely look into that more.

Reactions: BigAl07
You're likely thinking in a different direction than this Bob, but technically a sUAS is an aircraft, and those Part 107 certified are pilots (remote). So there is AOPA.
But i get what you are suggesting, I agree with you. We have our own regulations & standards.

I think it should start as state organization. I live in Texas and we have some of the most restrictive laws in the country when it comes to individuals ability to take pictures and video, also where we fly. I don't think we need to worry so much about the FAA, as our own state legislatures. Every time they see some negative drone news about someone doing something they probably should not have been doing then it adds fuel to the fire when they meet and try to pass more restrictions. I'm thinking we need a state type organization that is more political in nature and can help educate and inform both our representatives and the public about the usefulness of drones when done properly. I see this industry as just getting started and who knows about tommorrow's technology and possibilities. We have one state legislature that is running for federal office and he has already stated publicly he wants to get ahead of the Drone industry before it does get out of hand.

If there is a type of organization that is mostly political in regards to drones in your state let me know I would be interested in learning more.

Gee, I just mention an organization like that a year ago in a private message to one user, and a moderator threatened / berated me for advertising.
And, now you know why I never post on these forums.

Gee, I just mention an organization like that a year ago in a private message to one user, and a moderator threatened / berated me for advertising.
And, now you know why I never post on these forums.
Not sure where you mentioned it before but this forum wasnt here a year ago. It is still I think a good idea and this industry needs a political voice espicially in this state.

It was the Phantom Pilots forum, same owners and moderators.

There are a few organizations worth joining, there is AUVSI, and the AOPA. While the AUVSI has been around for years, their membership tends to be manufacturers. But the FAA does listen to them. The AOPA is new to the drone world, but they already have a relationship with Washington lawmakers and a large organization of experts in just about every mode of aviation. Best yet, with the AOPA you can get certificate protection through their Legal Services plan.

This is not advertising, I have no relationship with either organization other than my membership in both. (More than a quarter-Century with the AOPA). I was simply responding to the question in the original post. But I am expecting the **** moderator to follow through with his threat to ban me from the forum forever. So, if you never see me posting here again- that's why.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zzzoom3

There are a few organizations worth joining, there is AUVSI, and the AOPA. While the AUVSI has been around for years, their membership tends to be manufacturers. But the FAA does listen to them. The AOPA is new to the drone world, but they already have a relationship with Washington lawmakers and a large organization of experts in just about every mode of aviation. Best yet, with the AOPA you can get certificate protection through their Legal Services plan.

This is not advertising, I have no relationship with either organization other than my membership in both. (More than a quarter-Century with the AOPA). I was simply responding to the question in the original post. But I am expecting the **** moderator to follow through with his threat to ban me from the forum forever. So, if you never see me posting here again- that's why.

Thank you i will look into them.

+1

Also consider the Academy of Model Aeronautics another long time organization representing many, many RC fliers ..
Academy of Model Aeronautics

The AMA is late to the party and was initially hostile to drone operators. Some AMA fields still do not allow them. Their insurance does not cover commercial operations, so unless you also fly for hobby enjoyment, I don't see the AMA as an advocate of commercial drone pilots.

If I could only select one organization, it would be the AOPA. But, then, I am also a commercial pilot. (sel, cfi, instrument rating).

The AMA is late to the party and was initially hostile to drone operators. Some AMA fields still do not allow them. Their insurance does not cover commercial operations, so unless you also fly for hobby enjoyment, I don't see the AMA as an advocate of commercial drone pilots.

If I could only select one organization, it would be the AOPA. But, then, I am also a commercial pilot. (sel, cfi, instrument rating).
I agree .. just putting it out there. Change has to happen from within, so the more drone flyers that participate, the better. Plus being exposed to RC flying brings a better perspective to the many uses of the NAS and the participants.

I agree .. just putting it out there. Change has to happen from within, so the more drone flyers that participate, the better. Plus being exposed to RC flying brings a better perspective to the many uses of the NAS and the participants.

^^^ Very well said.

Reactions: Zzzoom3

I've been a member of AOPA before, will join again. Instead of having a bunch of separate drone associations, it might make sense for drone pilots to join AOPA en masse. They already have the necessary relationships with Washington, and if they see drone pilot memberships spiking, you can expect they'll show some love. Great organization.

I've been a member of AOPA before, will join again. Instead of having a bunch of separate drone associations, it might make sense for drone pilots to join AOPA en masse. They already have the necessary relationships with Washington, and if they see drone pilot memberships spiking, you can expect they'll show some love. Great organization.

Very good point. I totally agree with you @Black Ops.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM