Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Expanding General Liability Policy

TreeLineView

DSAR Member
Reaction score
I currently have a commercial 1Mil General Liability policy for one drone. Annual premium is 500. I wanted to add a second drone and the agent said it would be another 500. Doesn't matter if it is an Air 2S or M300. Anyone else have multiple drones on GL policy and is this the norm?

Depends on the company. Since it is liability only, they are looking at what their exposure would be if it crashed, and since they aren't drone experts, they just consider all of them the same. To the insurance company, it is just another vehicle. When I add a second car to my business liability, I pay more, but since the insurance company has enough experience with cars, they know a F250 will do substantially more damage than a honda Civic. With drones, they don't know that yet. And if flying legally, the most frequent claim will be property damage, hitting a car, house, powerline, etc. And they will assume a Mini2 could take out a car paint job or roof just as fast as an M30, until enough covered accidents happen that they have statistics.

Skywatch.AI has 1M coverage for a little more, and it includes as many drones as you want, but only 1 pilot, and that's Drone GL only. With 2 drones and 1 pilot, I'd say Skywatch is cheaper for Drone GL only. This isn't business General Liability, just drone. But at the price you said, I would expect that you don't have "Business Insurance with a Drone Rider" but rather "Drone General Liability Insurance".

The specific type of insurance matters, which you didn't say. Does it cover employee fraud, loss of income, lawsuits from clients, and more? Or is it just Drone flight Insurance?

Reactions: TreeLineView
I currently have a commercial 1Mil General Liability policy for one drone. Annual premium is 500. I wanted to add a second drone and the agent said it would be another 500. Doesn't matter if it is an Air 2S or M300. Anyone else have multiple drones on GL policy and is this the norm?
Yes, it is fairly common. They charge you the full, or close to full amount on each craft, even though you will only ever have one in the air at a time. Same scam as auto liability insurance.

As mentioned, Skywatch offers liability insurance that covers you no matter which drone you use. They offer hourly, monthly or annual policies.

Hull coverage is optional and per individual craft.

Last edited:
Depends on the company. Since it is liability only, they are looking at what their exposure would be if it crashed, and since they aren't drone experts, they just consider all of them the same. To the insurance company, it is just another vehicle. When I add a second car to my business liability, I pay more, but since the insurance company has enough experience with cars, they know a F250 will do substantially more damage than a honda Civic. With drones, they don't know that yet. And if flying legally, the most frequent claim will be property damage, hitting a car, house, powerline, etc. And they will assume a Mini2 could take out a car paint job or roof just as fast as an M30, until enough covered accidents happen that they have statistics.

Skywatch.AI has 1M coverage for a little more, and it includes as many drones as you want, but only 1 pilot, and that's Drone GL only. With 2 drones and 1 pilot, I'd say Skywatch is cheaper for Drone GL only. This isn't business General Liability, just drone. But at the price you said, I would expect that you don't have "Business Insurance with a Drone Rider" but rather "Drone General Liability Insurance".

The specific type of insurance matters, which you didn't say. Does it cover employee fraud, loss of income, lawsuits from clients, and more? Or is it just Drone flight Insurance?
No it is general liability. Damage to persons/property. Policy is provided by an Aviation Insurance Co.

Yes, it is fairly common. They charge you the full, or close to full amount on each craft, even though you will only ever have one in the air at a time. Same scam as auto liability insurance.

As mentioned, Skywatch offers liability insurance that covers you no matter which drone you use. They offer hourly, monthly or annual policies.

Hull coverage is optional and per individual craft.
Thanks. I'll take a look at them. My Hull coverage is through PPA. It covers theft or damage.

Reactions: Dave Pitman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker