Join our growing community today!

FAA Facility Maps (LAANC Grids)

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
DSAR Member
Reaction score
This comes up a LOT and we need to do a PSA to all FAA UAS operators. On the UAS Facility Maps (LAANC Grids) there are boxes with a # in it (0 - 400). Some people mistakenly think this is the "allowed altitude by default" for that grid section. This is NOT the case. The altitude listed is the MAX altitude you will most likely get approval if you submit a request via LAANC. This is a mere shortcut so that you don't ask for 300' in a 100' location (it will get denied).

Any and EVERY flight inside of Controlled Airspace must be pre-authorized before the UAS takes off. This would be done via LAANC if it's available and your request is "normal". If it's outside of the listed altitude you'll have to submit a manual request via the FAA Drone Zone portal.

It's also important to know that not EVERY submission gets approval even if less than the noted altitude. An active airport is a very DYNAMIC area and things like Emergencies, Military Operations, VIP Activity, Maintenance, and Equipment Failures can alter normal traffic etc and a seemingly simple and routine request CAN get denied.

That's kind of scary that this comes up a lot lol, but thanks for elaborating.

I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that currently there are no LAANC compliant airports that are granting night time LAANC authorizations. Does anybody have any insight whether that will change at all with the new nighttime operations rules coming into effect soon?

Great reminder Al. The altitudes shown in the FAA facility map grids on ARC GIS are "at or below" altitudes, and there is no guarantee you will be approved on any particular day or time.

FrozenDinner guy: If you have completed the "new" training and have your aircraft set up for night time ops (30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise), then you won't need a waiver or other authorization to operate at "night".

Now, your local police department or other authority may take a while to get this message; I would suggest to be prepared to have a professional, courteous discussion, and have your paperwork with you
(copies of: the actual rule, your certificate, your training results)

Great reminder Al. The altitudes shown in the FAA facility map grids on ARC GIS are "at or below" altitudes, and there is no guarantee you will be approved on any particular day or time.

FrozenDinner guy: If you have completed the "new" training and have your aircraft set up for night time ops (30 minutes after sunset to 30 minutes before sunrise), then you won't need a waiver or other authorization to operate at "night".

Now, your local police department or other authority may take a while to get this message; I would suggest to be prepared to have a professional, courteous discussion, and have your paperwork with you
(copies of: the actual rule, your certificate, your training results)
No, what I'm saying is currently any LAANC requests submitted for nighttime operations in controlled airspace seem to get automatically shot down and I'm wondering if this will change when you will no longer need a daytime waiver to fly at night under Part 107. You will still obviously need authorization to fly in controlled airspace regardless if it's day or night.

No, what I'm saying is currently any LAANC requests submitted for nighttime operations in controlled airspace seem to get automatically shot down and I'm wondering if this will change when you will no longer need a daytime waiver to fly at night under Part 107. You will still obviously need authorization to fly in controlled airspace regardless if it's day or night.

I have not heard any formal information on this specific topic myself.
The "new" training is going live in April (11th or so?), so has not been tested, and the LAANC system from day one said "don't even try" to use LAANC for night ops (recreational or commercial). FAA wanted to use their waiver/coa process for all dark ops (since 2018)
I've sent a note to a couple of folks who can answer directly from D.C.

Another option for you is to request a "wide area authorization" and marry that with an approved waiver from daylight ops.

You're not alone and formal info doesn't seem available yet re: night ops and LAANC...
  • Iris Automation (article, March 2021) "Iris Automation has requested additional clarification on how the new rule will interact with Low Altitude and Notification Capability (LAANC) services, which typically required both an airspace authorization and a waiver."

Last edited:
That's kind of scary that this comes up a lot lol, but thanks for elaborating.

I'm assuming (maybe incorrectly) that currently there are no LAANC compliant airports that are granting night time LAANC authorizations. Does anybody have any insight whether that will change at all with the new nighttime operations rules coming into effect soon?

As of right now, unfortunately, there is NO provision for flying at NIGHT in Controlled Airspace after the new regs go into effect. It's being developed but I've not seen any suggestion of a timeline for this to be fixed.

Well as promised, I sent a note to some contacts in the FAA. Their response is included below.
Hope this helps a little...

"...The FAA is still developing a "final" procedure for night authorizations once the new Night/Ops Over People Rule becomes effective 21 Apr.

In the interim, effective 21 Apr LAANC authorizations will be for a 24-hour period, which will accommodate night ops.

Steve
FAA UAS Support Center"

Well as promised, I sent a note to some contacts in the FAA. Their response is included below.
Hope this helps a little...

"...The FAA is still developing a "final" procedure for night authorizations once the new Night/Ops Over People Rule becomes effective 21 Apr.

In the interim, effective 21 Apr LAANC authorizations will be for a 24-hour period, which will accommodate night ops.

Steve
FAA UAS Support Center"
Sweet, thank you for reaching out to Steve @ FAA.

Reactions: KLAX

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM