Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA Part 107 testing suspended effective today (12/26/2018) due to Gov't Shutdown

Kristina Fowler

Reaction score
Went into an FAA Certified Testing Center today for my previously scheduled Part 107 Recurrent test only to discover (along with my examiner) that testing has been suspended due to Gov't Shutdown (testing through PSI/CATS). Oh well.... It gives me a few more days to bone up.

In addition, a test-taker at the facility who was waiting to be tested for Instrument Rating experienced the same fate, so I can only assume this effects fixed-wing as well.

In other news...

ffc14f216157655b5097e2bba0b2b515.png

Last edited:
CATS testing centers have stated they are still up and running (independent of US Govt). Call if you have something already scheduled before heading to the facility.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
My testing center is listed on the CATS location finder. I also called 3 more CATS testing centers. None were testing. When you call the CATS tel #, it redirects to PSI. I spoke directly to a PSI person this morning and they simply advise to keep your ear to the ground for updates.

PSI sent an email to my testing center last night advising them of the shutdown. However, the local testing administrator failed to check email until this morning (with family last night).

It's my understanding PSI acquired CATS. PSI SERVICES LLC ACQUIRES COMPUTER ASSISTED TESTING SERVICE (CATS) | PSI Online

I might also note that PSI administers tests other than FAA-related areas. That, according to the PSI person I spoke with.

Last edited:
I'll try and find the discussion from earlier today on another forum where someone had gone in to a CATS facility and taken his test. If i can find the link I'll quote it back here.

I can confirm this in DC. I called to schedule my 107 exam yesterday (called the main PSI switchboard first) and the fella informed me of the situation.

I then called the DC community college flight school at DCA and they didn't even answer.

Like you said, more time to run a few more practice exams I guess.

Hey all... I'm REALLY new here, but I'm trying to find information and it sent me here. I took my test on 1/15 and the lady at CATS said I needed to hang on to the paperwork until I get my license, and it may take some time because of the shutdown. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right... I went to IACRA and set up an account, and when I try to put my Exam ID in to the box it says it can't be found. I get that the government shutdown keeps things from happening, but the whole testing procedure was completely computer oriented, I don't know where human intervention would be necessary to find my Exam ID.

Side note: why do they print blue hyperlinks on paper? I can't click on them.

part107.jpg

Apparently, there's a group at the FAA that imports exams into the IACRA system. I am in the same situation as you. I passed my exam on 1/4, but cannot complete the IACRA application. I emailed IT support as shown on the IACRA page, and they confirmed that the group that imports the exams is furloughed. Here is the reply I received:
"Unfortunately due to the partial government shutdown, the organization responsible for importing knowledge tests into IACRA has been furloughed. At this time, knowledge tests will not be imported to IACRA until after the shutdown has ended, and likely a week afterwards due to the backlog. I apologize for the inconvenience and inability to assist further. "
So even when the shutdown is lifted, there's still going to be a backlog to go through.

Hey all... I'm REALLY new here, but I'm trying to find information and it sent me here. I took my test on 1/15 and the lady at CATS said I needed to hang on to the paperwork until I get my license, and it may take some time because of the shutdown. I just want to make sure I'm doing it right... I went to IACRA and set up an account, and when I try to put my Exam ID in to the box it says it can't be found. I get that the government shutdown keeps things from happening, but the whole testing procedure was completely computer oriented, I don't know where human intervention would be necessary to find my Exam ID.

Side note: why do they print blue hyperlinks on paper? I can't click on them.

View attachment 1074

I was also able to associate my exam with my application, and then submit my application, but it said it would be seven days before my airman certificate would be available. It also said I would receive an email once the certificate is available.

IACRA is back online. My exam ID was successfully associated with my application and I had my temporary airman certificate within minutes!

I was also able to associate my exam with my application, and then submit my application, but it said it would be seven days before my airman certificate would be available. It also said I would receive an email once the certificate is available.

Great... You broke it.

I already had an IACRA profile with a completed airman certificate issued a few years ago for something else. I wonder if the 7 day hold is so they can complete a background screening.

Last edited:
I also got the seven day wait period message and I already had a private pilot license in the system. Maybe it's based on where you ended up in the shutdown backlog.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter