Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA Regulations to Operate an UAS under a COA for Remote Sensing

Al Bee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is 700 ft above ground still the maximum flying altitude allowed by the FAA to operate an UAS under a COA for remote sensing?

Will a different waiver be required to fly above that limit (e.g. 1600 ft above ground ), but within a 50 meters horizontal radius?

Last edited:
Your COA will give you those stipulations and if it does not then you operate under Part 107 reg which is 400' above a structure as long as you're 400' from the structure and that you do not enter airspace requiring authorization.

So if you are operating within 400' of a 700' tower you can fly up to 1,100'AGL. Now if you happen to be flying in Class BRAVO that starts at say 1,000' AGL you could only go to that 1,000'AGL unless you get ATC approval.

Granted the above scenario may not exist but I'm sure there are some "similar" instances out there.

Reactions: happyshot
But what will be the case if I'm not flying near any structure (e.g. 700' tower)? For instance, like a forest or national park?

But what will be the case if I'm not flying near any structure (e.g. 700' tower)? For instance, like a forest or national park?

What does your COA state? If it does not state any "limitations/allowances" then you fly Part 107 regs which is 400' AGL unless within 400' of a structure. It's all Part 107 basics unless you have something in writing allowing you to deviate from Part 107.

National Park land is a whole other ball of wax. You can't take-off/land from their land without explicit permission from the administrator over that specific piece of property.

Here's a graphic that sort of tells the story but you still need to know what AIRSPACE you are flying in. If you happen to fly UP into controlled airspace you will most likely need to get ATC approval.

image.png.a1446693cd481bd13ce51f16259257cf.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM