Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
DSAR Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
I’m very pleased to see this
Indeed. Apparently the FAA still has a modicum of common sense ! :D

Thank goodness else it would have been the beginning of the end for small ops.

The likes of AirMap are not so happy. And even some guys on here that argued that Network ID would be fine have a chance to reconsider their reasoning.

Reactions: JDSimpson
So is this correct??? I was going to schedule my recurrent testing at the start of the new year... from the sounds of it the second week of February '21 I can just do the free online training and not have to sit for an in person test? If so, that's the best part of this....... here is an explanation from the article.

107.65 Recurrent requirements:
No more scheduling your 107.65 recurrent in-person test. The FAA has determined that training be required every 24 months instead of actual testing. And that will include the night ops knowledge. However, there will no longer be a different set of questions between the initial and recurrent test or training. All subjects on the initial test will be covered in the recurrent training.
This training will ensure that Remote Pilots will maintain familiarity with sUAS operations. An additional benefit is that this will be done online which provides a cost free option. It also allows more flexibility when the FAA feels the need to adapt training for regulatory or technological advances in the UAS industry.
45 days after publication, the FAA will provide free online recurrent training for all remote pilots.

So is this correct??? I was going to schedule my recurrent testing at the start of the new year... from the sounds of it the second week of February '21 I can just do the free online training and not have to sit for an in person test? If so, that's the best part of this....... here is an explanation from the article.

107.65 Recurrent requirements:
No more scheduling your 107.65 recurrent in-person test. The FAA has determined that training be required every 24 months instead of actual testing. And that will include the night ops knowledge. However, there will no longer be a different set of questions between the initial and recurrent test or training. All subjects on the initial test will be covered in the recurrent training.
This training will ensure that Remote Pilots will maintain familiarity with sUAS operations. An additional benefit is that this will be done online which provides a cost free option. It also allows more flexibility when the FAA feels the need to adapt training for regulatory or technological advances in the UAS industry.
45 days after publication, the FAA will provide free online recurrent training for all remote pilots.
Sorry, I've been busy with other threads.

The recurrent will be online now, and free. It will be training instead of a test. So that will be nice.

I'm guessing the end of February.

Correct..... that's what I read as well and was hoping to confirm what I read... so my thought on it is.... I'm expiring shortly but in my slow season for jobs and instructional assignments due to adverse weather. Being a side hustle for me, my thought is save the recurrent fee, wait for the training module to come up and put the $150 recurrent fee in my pocket. I won't be losing a ton of side money and anything I line up could probably wait until March for me to do the recurrent. Maybe the timing will benefit others too. I think that is best news out of all this and have little concern about being remote ID compliant as that is a little ways off.

Reactions: Vic Moss
I wonder how or if the new rules will affect LOS, and altitude restrictions?Especially for big companies like Amazon, UPS, and the like.

I wonder how or if the new rules will affect LOS, and altitude restrictions?Especially for big companies like Amazon, UPS, and the like.
The new rules are the first steps for Unmanned Traffic Management (UTM). UTM is the system that will allow things like delivery and such. For now the new rules do nothing for BVLSO and AGL Limitations.

When it comes to the broadcast signal.... I don’t see any real specifics yet regarding signal type or method. Seems perhaps us with dji products already have the ability to broadcast to AeroScope. The hardware may already be in place just need the software to update to be compliant. Dji already made some proof of concepts DJI Demonstrates Direct Drone-To-Phone Remote Identification

When it comes to the broadcast signal.... I don’t see any real specifics yet regarding signal type or method. Seems perhaps us with dji products already have the ability to broadcast to AeroScope. The hardware may already be in place just need the software to update to be compliant. Dji already made some proof of concepts DJI Demonstrates Direct Drone-To-Phone Remote Identification
ASTM doesn't have the specific standards back to the FAA yet, that why you haven't seen them.

DJI will likely be able to update some of their drones via firmware, but Brendan Schulman has been in some of the forums stating they need to work some technical stuff out first.
Not familiar with aeroscope, what models from DJI have the ability?
Any DJI drone since the P2 will show up on AeroScope. It also has the capability to see other brands. DJI just needs to add those electronic handshakes. For now, DJI keeps it limited to DJI products.

The new rule states “Broadcasts remote ID messages directly from the UA via radio frequency”....correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the dji aeroscope solution broadcasts from the operators controller. So they might have to come up with some type of work around.

The new rule states “Broadcasts remote ID messages directly from the UA via radio frequency”....correct me if I’m wrong but I believe the dji aeroscope solution broadcasts from the operators controller. So they might have to come up with some type of work around.
AeroScope intercepts the information packet as it travels between the drone and the controller. And they are working on how to push updates to their drones that can be updated in order to satisfy the requirements.

AeroScope intercepts the information packet as it travels between the drone and the controller. And they are working on how to push updates to their drones that can be updated in order to satisfy the requirements.
Good to know. Thanks Vic for the clarification.

Reactions: Vic Moss

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy