Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA response to Part 107 and the new TRUST

Reaction score
I emailed this question to my local FSDO and this is their response.

I see some confusion online and want to make sure that I am operating my drone per the regs. I am Part 107 certified and have started a drone-based aerial imaging business as sort of a side gig. Do I now need to go take this TRUST course and get that cert as well?
Thanks,
Scott

Good Morning Sir,
TRUST is now live and required. The FAA has not set a due date yet for it to be completed so you have some time to accomplish. We’ve been told it takes about 15 minutes if you have a 107 cert. It does not issues a certificate but rather just an ID number/token that you can provide to us or law enforcement if you are ever questioned about it.
Hope this helps,

Ryan D. Smith
Principal Operations Inspector
Fresno Flight Standards District Office
Phone Number: 559-297-2149
Office General Mailbox: [email protected]

I emailed this question to my local FSDO and this is their response.

I see some confusion online and want to make sure that I am operating my drone per the regs. I am Part 107 certified and have started a drone-based aerial imaging business as sort of a side gig. Do I now need to go take this TRUST course and get that cert as well?
Thanks,
Scott

Good Morning Sir,
TRUST is now live and required. The FAA has not set a due date yet for it to be completed so you have some time to accomplish. We’ve been told it takes about 15 minutes if you have a 107 cert. It does not issues a certificate but rather just an ID number/token that you can provide to us or law enforcement if you are ever questioned about it.
Hope this helps,

Ryan D. Smith
Principal Operations Inspector
Fresno Flight Standards District Office
Phone Number: 559-297-2149
Office General Mailbox: [email protected]
That is clear as mud. TRUST is for recreational flight.

• Haha
Reactions: Recoveryone
As I understand, even if you have a 107, that does not mean that you will ALWAYS be flying commercially. If you're just hanging out with the kiddies and showing them some cool tricks at the park one day, it's not for business.

It's very easy training especially if you already have your 107. Took me 15 minutes and downloaded the document to my iPad and laptop easily.

I'm a member of AMA, so they offered the training free. On the FAA website, it gives a listing of the "authorized" companies that can distribute the training. They ALL should be FREE and bear the logo of TRUST. If not, it's probably a scam site.

There is no way of failing the training, so don't worry.

This guy explains it all very well!! Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: wilmutiny3
As I understand, even if you have a 107, that does not mean that you will ALWAYS be flying commercially. If you're just hanging out with the kiddies and showing them some cool tricks at the park one day, it's not for business.

I'm always "working on my portfolio"....

It's very easy training especially if you already have your 107. Took me 15 minutes and downloaded the document to my iPad and laptop easily.

I'm a member of AMA, so they offered the training free. On the FAA website, it gives a listing of the "authorized" companies that can distribute the training. They ALL should be FREE and bear the logo of TRUST. If not, it's probably a scam site.

That’s how I interpreted it as well. It took me about 7min and I aced it. I did it through UAV and school and bypassed the training, but the training and test were free.

Another time you would need it is if you're out flying with a bunch of your friends, and one of them have a new drone that is registered recreationally. You can't fly it without TRUST.

Or if you get a chance to fly a large drone, or an r/c aircraft.

All of those situations (& others) will require TRUST.

Reactions: Recoveryone

If I'm not being paid I do other stuff. I only fly for work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM