Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA waiver for flying at night

Photoman482

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to all this. I do have my 107 card. I'm curious about the flying at night waiver. I work in the MD/DC/VA area mostly. Is the waiver for a very specific area? Like a particular building or street? Or can you get one for a more generalized area?

Thanks

Reactions: SanCap
I believe that they are usually for a class airspace. Uncontrolled is probably the most frequently granted I would think. For instance, say I do roof inspections frequently just after sunset. I am covered under my Daytime Waiver unless I am also flying in controlled airspace. Than I think you have to get one specifically for that mission.

Yep. Class G only. This is what mine says
“4. Operations under this Waiver may only be conducted in Class G airspace unless a separate airspace
Certificate of Waiver or Authorization specifically stating that night operations may be conducted in
controlled airspace is received from the FAA, in accordance with § 107.41. The airspace Certificate of
Waiver or Authorization to operate at night must be requested separately, and is not part of this Waiver;”

Yep. Class G only. This is what mine says
“4. Operations under this Waiver may only be conducted in Class G airspace unless a separate airspace
Certificate of Waiver or Authorization specifically stating that night operations may be conducted in
controlled airspace is received from the FAA, in accordance with § 107.41. The airspace Certificate of
Waiver or Authorization to operate at night must be requested separately, and is not part of this Waiver;”

Does it say that in your actual approval letter or cover letter? Mine does not say that anywhere. Mine went into effect 10/29/19, I wonder if they changed wording on them.

Does it say that in your actual approval letter or cover letter? Mine does not say that anywhere. Mine went into effect 10/29/19, I wonder if they changed wording on them.

Mine was issued in 2017 and the actual waiver states:

4. Operations under this Waiver are to be conducted in Class G airspace only unless specific airspace authorization or Waiver is received from the FAA in accordance with § 107.41;

I'm pretty new to all this. I do have my 107 card. I'm curious about the flying at night waiver. I work in the MD/DC/VA area mostly. Is the waiver for a very specific area? Like a particular building or street? Or can you get one for a more generalized area?

Thanks
As everyone has stated, generally easy to get for Class Gulf airspace. I believe night flight waivers for controlled airspace are about as rare as as hens' teeth .

Reactions: BigAl07
Not to highjack the post, but how long did you guys have to wait for approval? I submitted one for flying over my city for inspections/construction purposes back in November, no word yet.

Not to highjack the post, but how long did you guys have to wait for approval? I submitted one for flying over my city for inspections/construction purposes back in November, no word yet.

5 weeks for mine with one request for more information. Have you checked the status of it on your dashboard at FAA Drone Zone?

5 weeks for mine with one request for more information. Have you checked the status of it on your dashboard at FAA Drone Zone?

Yes, I check it daily almost. I have several projects about to start this year and it would nice to have that approval in my back pocket

Reactions: SanCap
When applying for the initial 107.29 waiver it's expeditious to use the "Step-by-step Application Process Guidance", "How to Apply for an Operational Waiver". and especially "Waiver Safety Explanation Guidelines" and answer all questions thoroughly. The more detailed the better.

And, once you've received a 107.29 for Class G airspace, if you apply for a 107.29 waiver in controlled airspace select "airspace authorization" (NOT "waiver") when identifying the application type and include the phrase "authorization with waiver attached" in the application title. (You'll be prompted for your original Class G waiver during the application process.)

I can't say how long processing of new waiver applications is currently taking. But I've been renewing Class B, C, and D waivers recently and have been very pleased to receive renewal approvals in just 2 days. (Recommendation: be sure to include the number of your expired waiver in the "Proposed Location of Operation" statement.)

Hope that helps.

From everything I’ve read the FAA tries to respond within 90 days.

I accidentally said in my waiver application that I will be occasionally operating in class C and E airspace, before I learned they only give the waiver for class G. Do you think they will reject the application, or just give the waiver but say I can only operate in class G?

If they deny the application, do they allow you to submit a new one, or blacklist you?

I accidentally said in my waiver application that I will be occasionally operating in class C and E airspace, before I learned they only give the waiver for class G. Do you think they will reject the application, or just give the waiver but say I can only operate in class G?

If they deny the application, do they allow you to submit a new one, or blacklist you?
Unlikely you'll get an approval for Class C night. That will require a separate authorization. You will get a blanket G authorization. The feds understand everyone makes mistakes, there is no blacklist. ;)

Unlikely you'll get an approval for Class C night. That will require a separate authorization. You will get a blanket G authorization. The feds understand everyone makes mistakes, there is no blacklist. ;)
Yeah I do see it now. It would be nice to have approval for class C airspace at night because a large portion of my city are under class C. Same with the class E2 that a neighboring city is under. My usage is just to take landscape lighting photos for homes and would never need to fly more than 75 feet agl, but I doubt the FAA will take me at my word on that.

Yeah I do see it now. It would be nice to have approval for class C airspace at night because a large portion of my city are under class C. Same with the class E2 that a neighboring city is under. My usage is just to take landscape lighting photos for homes and would never need to fly more than 75 feet agl, but I doubt the FAA will take me at my word on that.
What's the FAM limit on that area? Can you post GPS coord?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shook DroneWorks LLC