Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

FAA will require drones to display registration numbers externally

I fully support this (always have) but I'm shocked it's not made more waves and headlines than this one engadget article. Maybe it's just "flown under the radar" up until now.

It goes into the Federal Registry tomorrow.

Reactions: Kdavis2269
Mine has always been outside as well. Not sure why some think it's a bug deal. Some of the model airplane guys are not happy. Mostly ones who build precision scale models. But they are working out ways to comply without messing up the look of their masterpieces.

But for commercial MR, no brainer and easy to do. No size or location requirements, so pretty easy.

It does not say where the registration number has to be placed on the UA but rather that the registration number has to be affixed external on the UA.

§48.205 Display and location of unique identifier.
(a) The unique identifier must be maintained in a condition that is legible.
(b) The unique identifier must be affixed to the small unmanned aircraft by any means necessary to ensure that it will remain affixed for the duration of each operation.
(c) The unique identifier must be readily accessible and visible upon inspection of the small unmanned aircraft. A unique identifier enclosed in a compartment is readily accessible if it can be accessed without the use of any tool.

It does not say where the registration number has to be placed on the UA but rather that the registration number has to be affixed external on the UA.

§48.205 Display and location of unique identifier.
(a) The unique identifier must be maintained in a condition that is legible.
(b) The unique identifier must be affixed to the small unmanned aircraft by any means necessary to ensure that it will remain affixed for the duration of each operation.
(c) The unique identifier must be readily accessible and visible upon inspection of the small unmanned aircraft. A unique identifier enclosed in a compartment is readily accessible if it can be accessed without the use of any tool.

In § 48.205, revise paragraph (c) to read as follows:

(c) The unique identifier must be legibly displayed on an external surface of the small unmanned aircraft.

Thanks for correcting paragraph (c).
I just copied and pasted out of the document so we could see a side by side comparison of the verbiage change. I knew this would be an interesting topic considering the scale model rc pilots appear to be impacted as well. I guess they could always make their registration number look like a stenciled part number to blend it in with the scale look.

I'm sure there will be opinions on what is legible vs easily identifiable. For the 107 pilots it was best practice anyways but I bet the hobbyist and scale modelers will get a bit creative to comply with the revision.

You know I don't really have a problem with the labeling. But one of their (FAA) reasons was because of possible boobie traps with the batteries. I don't think a bad guy is going to lable his aircraft with anything legitimate. The Labeling in of itself will not prevent bad guys doing bad things.

Reactions: R Martin
You know I don't really have a problem with the labeling. But one of their (FAA) reasons was because of possible boobie traps with the batteries. I don't think a bad guy is going to lable his aircraft with anything legitimate. The Labeling in of itself will not prevent bad guys doing bad things.

I agree with you. The link above in Unmanned Aerial gives a little insight to the concerns of first responders.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91