Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Farmland

R.P..R

Reaction score
Website
www.rprsolution.com
Hello gang,

First off, I apologize if I’m posting this in the wrong forum.

Soon, I will be following two developments that will be built on a farmland. One is 78 acres (this one is easy to map) but the 2nd is 312 acres that will soon erect mix dwellings and businesses.

My question is. Do you fly in grid zone, using multiple batteries? Or is it better to use a drone plane to cover a large area? If plane, what are you using?

Delima; if I am going to use my P4P or a Mavic 2. I am granted to only fly at 180ft due a hospital nearby, with a heli. Pad. Second, if I fly in grid zone, DD and GSP calculated that I would need to us 13 to 17 depending on my pattern, and I also fear that the temperature will be a hinder the performance in the long run, because during summer in Gilroy, California the heat climbs up, and this will not be a one time pass, I will be making multiple pass this season.

So, what’s your workflow? And how can I map 312 acre?

Thank you in advance.

Delima; if I am going to use my P4P or a Mavic 2. I am granted to only fly at 180ft due a hospital nearby, with a heli. Pad. Second, if I fly in grid zone, DD and GSP calculated that I would need to us 13 to 17 depending on my pattern, and I also fear that the temperature will be a hinder the performance in the long run, because during summer in Gilroy, California the heat climbs up, and this will not be a one time pass, I will be making multiple pass this season.

So, what’s your workflow? And how can I map 312 acre?

Thank you in advance.

You can certainly fly the acreage with your current setup but you must have a lot of free time on your hands. I doubt you will make money on the job due to the amount of time it is going to take to fly even a single sortie. If this is a paying job (or better yet, you work for a company that has asked you to do this), then leverage that and buy a new aircraft that is capable of handling large areas with a single flight.
Otherwise, you are going to need a charger capable of handling multiple batteries at once and a power source to field-charge a lot of batteries to pull this off.

First of all with DD map the entire site, Why are you limited to 180 ft, I have the same situation with a hospital less than a mile away, I do 160 acres from 300 feet with a 65/75 overlap and I use 3 pair of batteries on the Inspire 2. Always end your flights to change batteries when the drone is transitioning from one row to the next. DD will restart your mission from where you ended once you change batteries. Also, why are you flying a GSP grid,

As for heat, Gilroy isn't nearly as hot as the central valley, I fly mapping in at UC Merced all summer long in 100 degree weather at times. Biggest problem I have had is tablet overheating. On 100 degree days I put the tablet on a cool pack for about five minutes after each flight, that eliminated the tablet overheating and dying. They also make a cooling fan that the tablet can mount to. I have one but it doesn't work all that well and was expensive.

Also on hot days do not run your batteries below 25%. As for me, I never run my batteries below 30 percent. Yes I use more batteries but I also get very good life out of them. Make sure you have plenty of batteries, remember you need to let the batteries cool before recharging. I would have a minimum of eight to ten batteries and plenty of Ice tea in the summer.

You can certainly fly the acreage with your current setup but you must have a lot of free time on your hands. I doubt you will make money on the job due to the amount of time it is going to take to fly even a single sortie. If this is a paying job (or better yet, you work for a company that has asked you to do this), then leverage that and buy a new aircraft that is capable of handling large areas with a single flight.
Otherwise, you are going to need a charger capable of handling multiple batteries at once and a power source to field-charge a lot of batteries to pull this off.

Thank you for the tips and advice. I work for Lennar Development, solely as a contractor, and been with Lennar for 5yrs this July.

in 100 degree weather at times. Biggest problem I have had is tablet overheating. On 100 degree days I put the tablet on a cool pack for about five minutes after each flight, that eliminated the tablet overheating and dying.

It's a good solution but you have to control it very well. The dry cold is not the same as the wet cold (iced drinks for example) because putting something hot produces condensation and that is very bad for electronics.

What you say about a fan and leaving it in the shade is a solution, although a little slower, much safer.

Many times an umbrella, or a tarp attached to the vehicle, or a small tent that gives you shade while you fly but does not limit the signal from the transmitter or telemetry, is usually the best solution.

I know, in the end it seems that we need a truck to carry everything ?

Reactions: R.P..R
First of all with DD map the entire site, Why are you limited to 180 ft, I have the same situation with a hospital less than a mile away, I do 160 acres from 300 feet with a 65/75 overlap and I use 3 pair of batteries on the Inspire 2. Always end your flights to change batteries when the drone is transitioning from one row to the next. DD will restart your mission from where you ended once you change batteries. Also, why are you flying a GSP grid,

As for heat, Gilroy isn't nearly as hot as the central valley, I fly mapping in at UC Merced all summer long in 100 degree weather at times. Biggest problem I have had is tablet overheating. On 100 degree days I put the tablet on a cool pack for about five minutes after each flight, that eliminated the tablet overheating and dying. They also make a cooling fan that the tablet can mount to. I have one but it doesn't work all that well and was expensive.

Also on hot days do not run your batteries below 25%. As for me, I never run my batteries below 30 percent. Yes I use more batteries but I also get very good life out of them. Make sure you have plenty of batteries, remember you need to let the batteries cool before recharging. I would have a minimum of eight to ten batteries and plenty of Ice tea in the summer.

Thanks, Perry.This site will be in Gilroy, and if you’re from Merced, I’ll take the heat back, you guys are hotter there. The proposed site is located along Leavesly road, at the back of the Gilroy Premium Outlets, Kaiser Permanente, and Valley Regional Hosp. I mentioned grid last night (and GSP is DJI’s GS Pro) I’m used to flying in grid zone (zones are where structures are going to be constructed) The biggest one that I’ve done is located in Newark, at Lennar’s build “The Lighthouse” that was easy, since I had an idea of where the zones area.

I think, I have a solution, and that is to dived the land into zones, so I can work efficiently, I purchased new batteries to add to my existing. My critical battery threshold is always at 40%

I rechecked my route and adjusted my flight pattern, according to the division and it looks good. I will be making the first pass this weekend.

Reactions: dempseycreekkid
It's a good solution but you have to control it very well. The dry cold is not the same as the wet cold (iced drinks for example) because putting something hot produces condensation and that is very bad for electronics.

What you say about a fan and leaving it in the shade is a solution, although a little slower, much safer.

Many times an umbrella, or a tarp attached to the vehicle, or a small tent that gives you shade while you fly but does not limit the signal from the transmitter or telemetry, is usually the best solution.

I know, in the end it seems that we need a truck to carry everything ?

I hear, ya. I have a good size SUV, and having a fan out in the field in summer time only moves heat around. lol
But an umbrella is what I don’t have.

Maps Made Easy also works well. I also don't get the 180 feet limitation. Only the feds can limit airspace; is that the case?
78 acres (at 200-300 ft) with a Phantom or Inspire is not easy but doable, plenty of batteries. I'm in AZ and get through the summer with an igloo/blue ice packs for the ipads and working at dawn.

Reactions: dempseycreekkid
Maps Made Easy also works well. I also don't get the 180 feet limitation. Only the feds can limit airspace; is that the case?
78 acres (at 200-300 ft) with a Phantom or Inspire is not easy but doable, plenty of batteries. I'm in AZ and get through the summer with an igloo/blue ice packs for the ipads and working at dawn.

Luis, I would love to work at dawn, or shortly after, but then the lighting is all wrong especially for doing panos. It would work if all the photos I took were facing West. Also many of the shoots I do I must do during the lunch break.
How do you deal with the light issues that early?

Luis, I would love to work at dawn, or shortly after, but then the lighting is all wrong especially for doing panos. It would work if all the photos I took were facing West. Also many of the shoots I do I must do during the lunch break.
Same issues here; no good answer. Sometimes I just compromise and start closer to noon but the lighting will never be perfect while running from the heat. :D I just try to find a balanced exposure (?). Fortunately, the client is not looking for arty pics, just good pics. ;)
What I really need is a crystal sky and retired the ipads for the summer.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I don't mind the heat, actually kind of like it. I tried shooting panos early over a year ago, and you guessed it, the buildings facing North and West were under exposed, lots of shadows. Some of those same building when I shot elevations I waited until the afternoon.
Truth is when you are shooting 300 to 350 photos a day you don't want to be needing to constantly adjust your exposures, but sometimes you just can't get away without.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, I don't mind the heat, actually kind of like it. I tried shooting panos early over a year ago, and you guessed it, the buildings facing North and West were under exposed, lots of shadows. Some of those same building when I shot elevations I waited until the afternoon.
Truth is when you are shooting 300 to 350 photos a day you don't want to be needing to constantly adjust your exposures, but sometimes you just can't get away without.
The heat is no big deal...I chose Arizona?. However the IPad crapping out mid morning gets really old!

Reactions: R Martin

Hello Luis,
The 180 restriction is due to helicopters flying in and out of the hearby hospital. I’ve also worked on a build with latitude restriction, due to a heavy vehicle traffic and a public train right across the build. Las Vegas at the Mortenson build of the Raiders Dome Statidum has lots of daily restrictions. The right of airspace use, I guess is not a full right, but a privilege that can be taken away.

Hello Luis,
The 180 restriction is due to helicopters flying in and out of the hearby hospital. I’ve also worked on a build with latitude restriction, due to a heavy vehicle traffic and a public train right across the build. Las Vegas at the Mortenson build of the Raiders Dome Statidum has lots of daily restrictions. The right of airspace use, I guess is not a full right, but a privilege that can be taken away.
Perhaps we are talking apples and oranges here.

You are absolutely right, airspace authorization is a privilege, not a right. A privilege that, in the US, can only be granted by the FAA. The hospital has no authority to restrict national airspace, but they can ask, and as a certificated pilot, you have a duty not to risk any manned aircraft. Back in 2015 when I began my business I connected with the local hospital airevac chief pilot and he provided the aproach and departure patterns for their helicopters. I agreed to let know in advance if I had to operate anywhere near those paths. There was no legal requirement for me to reach out to airevac, just my professionalism and pilot duty to safe air operations over my city.

Now, if I'm working for contractor XYZ and the XYZ (the ones paying my tab) says, i.e., you will fly "only at lunch and only below 100 feet" then that is a job restriction, not an airspace issue.

Reactions: R Martin
Perhaps we are talking apples and oranges here.

You are absolutely right, airspace authorization is a privilege, not a right. A privilege that, in the US, can only be granted by the FAA. The hospital has no authority to restrict national airspace, but they can ask, and as a certificated pilot, you have a duty not to risk any manned aircraft. Back in 2015 when I began my business I connected with the local hospital airevac chief pilot and he provided the aproach and departure patterns for their helicopters. I agreed to let know in advance if I had to operate anywhere near those paths. There was no legal requirement for me to reach out to airevac, just my professionalism and pilot duty to safe air operations over my city.

Now, if I'm working for contractor XYZ and the XYZ (the ones paying my tab) says, i.e., you will fly "only at lunch and only below 100 feet" then that is a job restriction, not an airspace issue.

I am not familiar with the developers in your state. The waiver that’s been granted comes from the FAA, and this waiver is to be used during the duration of the build. The restriction also comes from the FAA. We also have a DOT permissions to gain access on public roads to be used as a launchpad. 40% of the time, I fly outside the pit.

The heat is no big deal...I chose Arizona?. However the IPad crapping out mid morning gets really old!
Cool packs and lots of them. I had the physics machine shop build a frame for the iPad that will hold it and a cold pack. It works but is not an ideal solution. I have to change the pack and the battery at the same time or the heat buildup will crash the iPad. Can't wait to get the new aircraft in the sky and semi-retire the Inspire.

I am not familiar with the developers in your state. The waiver that’s been granted comes from the FAA, and this waiver is to be used during the duration of the build. The restriction also comes from the FAA. We also have a DOT permissions to gain access on public roads to be used as a launchpad. 40% of the time, I fly outside the pit.
So it is the FAA, not the hospital.... :D

When this first came up I didn't think about his location. He is in controlled airspace, normal approach to San Jose, CA. Not only that a lot of general aviation and private aircraft use that corridor for approach to not only San Jose international, but Reid Hillview airport. That is a very busy area traffic wise, however normal altitude for both airports are well above the 400 foot limitations of UAVs. I think what has happened it the hospitals went to the FAA and screamed about drones flying in airspace they normally use. Helicopters in that area would obviously want to stay below the normal approach altitudes of San Jose and Reid Hillview.

Years ago pilots nicknamed this corridor MIG alley because of all the general aviation and private aircraft. The main problem was general aviation guys coming in VFR at whatever altitude they wanted. The TCA hadn't extended to Morgan Hill and Gilroy at that time. The other problem was years ago Reid didn't have an ILS approach so someone coming in in marginal weather would follow San Jose's ILS then break off and land at Reid. It did create some problems. I have flown into both airports many times in the past.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rainy