Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Filming a building implosion/demolition questions.

jaja6009

Reaction score
We have a building implosion coming up next week and will be filming it. I have some rules questions as well as flight characteristics questions.

The building is around 350 feet high. What are anyone's thoughts of a nadir directly over the building?

If I am 750' AGL feet over the building and the building comes down and I immediately descend (away from the dust cloud) is this breaking the height rule? I was in compliance while the building stood, but was not once it came down?

Also any thoughts on if any air movement could cause turbulence endangering the aircraft and others?

The drone will have several missions.

Helping to ensure the exclusion zone is clear, filming the implosion and then monitoring the dust cloud and debris pile. Also of course it will be on stand by in case of any incident caused by the implosion.
Afterwards update maps will be made estimating the debris pile and its removal for stakeholder updates as well as for damage to other buildings and build up of dust in the surrounding area.

Technically yes you would be in violation but... in this instance I don't think you'd have much to worry about as the area should have some type of NOTAM in place for local aviation etc. Just get back below 400' ASAP. This is not legal advice just my own 2-cents.

In terms of air movement/turbulence... it's possible but I don't think it would have much impact at 400' over the building.

What is the possibility of debris being tossed 400' straight up? That's a question for the demolition crew to answer.

Also I think it goes without question you MUST share the video here ASAP lol :)

Reactions: GStuart
When the FAA was contemplating the "Structure" rule (§107.51), I don't think they ever imagined the structures would go "poof". That's a good one. Ha..

Insurance! Backup Drone! Multiple drones at the 4 corners! Retain all the movie rights! Share the video(s) here afterwards!

BigAl thanks for the advice, I was hoping you chimed in.

I was just worried as there are a good deal of drones filming implosions, but the ones I have seen are from the side, never nadir directly over it. So I was wondering if they knew something I didn't. While I am not afraid of the charges, I was just wondering if the displacement of large amounts of air from the building falling could affect something as small as a Mavic 2.

As long as my chief gives me permission I will have the video on here, hopefully with a happy ending!

I am hoping to have a video with 2 different perspectives side by side since one of our other pilots will be flying our Evo 1.

There is another smaller high rise within 400 feet of the target and I could always use that for my 400 foot "base" although it is somewhat smaller than the target and would leave me even closer to the building.

Actually the video aspect is the drones least important task. Before hand it will scan the area for any people PD patrols missed the night before when they cleared the building, it will also help monitor the particulate cloud and afterwards it will provide an ortho and DEM along with debris pile estimates. The chief wants the speaker attachment on in case we have to advise people to move in case of some event or similar happening.

Reactions: BigAl07
I will soon have the footage posted. I am waiting for approval as all footage is the property of the city.

I am truly disappointed though in people's attitudes regarding following rules, particularly the TFR that was in effect. There were at least 3 if not 4 illegal drone flights in the area. One of these flights was over me, within 50 feet and was extremely distracting. This person posted their footage on Instagram, Youtube and also it made Drone DJ news. I can tell from the footage that is was the drone that actually affected me.

I can fully see now why Remote ID has to come into effect. For someone to break the TFR just to get an ad for their drone business really rubs me the wrong way. I had to bring in my drone for a battery change and found it very unnerving to do so with other drones in my immediate area that were almost certainly flying BVLOS and that I had no communication with.

In non-drone news, people on foot kept sneaking into the 'Exclusion Zone" and the countdown had to be stopped at one point.

I was neutral before, but Remote ID has to be implemented due to the few who disregard everything to the detriment of others.

I will soon have the footage posted. I am waiting for approval as all footage is the property of the city.

I am truly disappointed though in people's attitudes regarding following rules, particularly the TFR that was in effect. There were at least 3 if not 4 illegal drone flights in the area. One of these flights was over me, within 50 feet and was extremely distracting. This person posted their footage on Instagram, Youtube and also it made Drone DJ news. I can tell from the footage that is was the drone that actually affected me.

I can fully see now why Remote ID has to come into effect. For someone to break the TFR just to get an ad for their drone business really rubs me the wrong way. I had to bring in my drone for a battery change and found it very unnerving to do so with other drones in my immediate area that were almost certainly flying BVLOS and that I had no communication with.

In non-drone news, people on foot kept sneaking into the 'Exclusion Zone" and the countdown had to be stopped at one point.

I was neutral before, but Remote ID has to be implemented due to the few who disregard everything to the detriment of others.

When we are flying in a "sensitive" area and a UAS enters the area, we follow it back to it's launch point with Law Enforcement following my guidance to interact with the offender. We've done this 3 different times (not the same event though). I understand you was there to document but the local LE should have had a UAS there just for seeking out offenders.

Looking forward to the footage :)

Great Video, Very nice transition from Google Earth to live video, almost seamless!!

Good riddance, thanks for posting the video :)

Silly question, how do you coordinate and get authorization to fly within a TFR area? Did you just submit a detailed request through the DroneZone or is there another way to approach this?
Unfortunately I do not know the answer to your question. I was flying for the city's Office of Emergency Management (I am a firefighter). When the demolition company and my higher ups coordinated with the FAA for the TFR, it was worked in that OEM aircraft were allowed to fly in the TFR area. As I was not present when this happened I am not sure. I will ask one of the OEM deputies and find out though.

In a note of sarcasm, the TFR didn't stop at least 3 drones from flying so apparently authorization is not needed. :rolleyes:You can even see in the above footage towards the end on the Mavic 2 ED over the beach, a drone shoots up as the dust cloud rises. One of the violators even posted the video under his business name. I actually had to write a formal communication outlining what I saw concerning the rogue drones for the FAA. I don't care too much, except that the one was flying over my head and made it so I could not bring my bird back to the primary landing zone in the event of an emergency since he was nearby and we had no coms. He was almost definitely not flying LOS as when he went to land he did so blocks away and in between buildings. Total disregard for the rules now makes me fully support Remote ID when coming from an emergency response position.

Good riddance, thanks for posting the video :)

Silly question, how do you coordinate and get authorization to fly within a TFR area? Did you just submit a detailed request through the DroneZone or is there another way to approach this?

You have to reach out to the Entity who requested and is managing the TFR. Authorization will need to come from them directly. We have established TFR's for Wild Fires and one significant SAR operation and our agency was the only ones permitted to fly legally. Even in this case we still had a news agency launch and fly their UAS literally through the middle of our Command Post.

You have to reach out to the Entity who requested and is managing the TFR. Authorization will need to come from them directly. We have established TFR's for Wild Fires and one significant SAR operation and our agency was the only ones permitted to fly legally. Even in this case we still had a news agency launch and fly their UAS literally through the middle of our Command Post.
Oh yikes. No that all makes sense, thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanzFPV