Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Filter question

McCune Drone

Reaction score
When we fly during this time of the year, we are getting that our images are washed out, concrete and asphalt almost totally white. Is there a filter that would help with this problem and if so what one? We have a Mavic 2 pro and we fly for topography, so the camera on the drone is pointing straight down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can’t say I’ve ever had that result. However I always fly the M2P with an ND filter appropriate to the weather, usually 16 or 32. What weather are you encountering “at this time of the year“? It might help to know where you are.

Reactions: McCune Drone
As rudimentary as this might sound, go through all your camera settings to ensure they are within proper parameters. I have on occasion overlooked very basic and fundamental settings that adversely affected image quality. Try pinching down on your aperture and slowing down your shutter speed a bit, but high enough to minimize blur. Bring down your ISO to 100 if possible. Also, in post (I use Lightroom and Photoshop Camera Raw), slam down the "Highlights" slider all the way to zero bring out detail.

As rudimentary as this might sound, go through all your camera settings to ensure they are within proper parameters. I have on occasion overlooked very basic and fundamental settings that adversely affected image quality. Try pinching down on your aperture and slowing down your shutter speed a bit, but high enough to minimize blur. Bring down your ISO to 100 if possible. Also, in post (I use Lightroom and Photoshop Camera Raw), slam down the "Highlights" slider all the way to zero bring out detail.
Of course, one needs to keep the shutter speed to the 180 rule - 24fps, 1/48 shutter; 30fps, 1/60 shutter.

Reactions: McCune Drone
Mapping is about photos, and ND filters are of no value here, especially if you are using a drone with a mechanical shutter and variable aperture. The same goes for the 180 rule, which applies to getting "cinematic" theater-looking video and has nothing to do with shooting photos.

Getting your camera settings correct for the photos you need to shoot is the key to mapping.

If you do any post-processing, be careful not to apply any lens corrections or any other adjustments that will affect the lens profile, or strip out the geotags. They are vital to the map processing software.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker