Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Firmware updates

embayweather

Reaction score
So some hate them, some love them, but do we, as commercial pilots have to have them? Do we need to show we are com0leteky up to date with updates for us to be properly maintaining out aircraft, or should we just stick with one that works for us?

So some hate them, some love them, but do we, as commercial pilots have to have them? Do we need to show we are com0leteky up to date with updates for us to be properly maintaining out aircraft, or should we just stick with one that works for us?
@embayweather
I would say no, I don't, also it depends what the update involves.

Last edited:
I doubt the FAA would get involved in mandating firmware updates. You might peruse your liability insurance policy to see if anything like that is mentioned.

If you are UK based (your data says NW England) and a PfCO holder then you know the answer. Whatever your OM says.

Reactions: The Editor
I doubt the FAA would get involved in mandating firmware updates. You might peruse your liability insurance policy to see if anything like that is mentioned.

I think that they would if an accident is part of the equation. When things go wrong the fingers are flying in every direction, especially the direction of the Pilot.

If you are UK based (your data says NW England) and a PfCO holder then you know the answer. Whatever your OM says.
Indeed. Mine says update when they arrive and that is what I do. If we approved by the CAA too. I was just wondering what others thought as clearly, like others, I wish to limit my exposure to any commercial or cr8minwl litigation .

Mine allows me to check forums etc. Following an update to asses whether or not to update. There is no time limit on how long my assessment can take place. This was all based on when I first got my I1 I did the upgrade immediately as recommended. A week later I nearly lost it as it started to gain altitude as I struggled to bring it down. It was a problem upgrade that DJI had to fix within a couple of weeks. So when I wrote my OM I made sure I wouldn't be forced into any upgrade without the opportunity to assess in advance.

I hold off on updates when they first come out unless it fixes a flight critical issue.

Check the downloads/specs DJI page for the latest Release Notes and it will give a basic description of what the update is about. If there is anything flight critical being fixed they usually mention it. Sometimes it is just a general update, new features etc.

I wait a month because by then hopefully any major new problems have been discovered by others and the update has been updated.

I also do a test flight in a safe open location on the new firmware before putting the aircraft back on a job.

With two units I just update the most expendable one (cheapest payload) run it for a few jobs then update the other unit if no problems are encountered with the new firmware.

The OP is based in the UK so the FAA has absolutely nothing to do with how he is regulated.

Post number 4 has answered the question succinctly and correctly. As a PfCO holder you are not legally obligated to maintain your aircraft other than stipulated in your submitted and agreed OM. The same way as there is no legal obligation to maintain fuel/battery logs (it is not a CAA requirement). However, if you have stipulated you do in your OP's Manual then you must continue to do so.

Reactions: Graham Degg
If you are flying DJI hardware and using DJI software, many people fail to understand the magnitude, scope and thread deployment of those 2 apps. You can add Litchi and AUTOPilot to those as well and others just coming on line.

If you are unaware of how to properly deploy GO and GO 4 to a device and give the app a maximum of processor and memory usage, you will have issues and find a bus to throw someone under. The apps are BEASTS. They need to be. These are ENTERPRISE applications, not "shoot-em-up" video games. I'm sure the CrystalSky implementation was an effort to minimize mucking up the controller environment. The data is still out but they locked down the interface for a reason.

Having spent years writing enterprise level software, I'm always amused about how many people voice negatives about firmware upgrades - "this did this", "everything was fine until ..", "I'm still at 1.1.1 and have no reason to upgrade .. " ...

I have NEVER skipped an upgrade to any of my UAVs, their controllesr or the batteries. The only drone I have lost was a Hubsan 107C+ (I flew it out of range - I think), and have not crashed any of my 4 other UAVS, 3 Phantoms and a Parrot. I plan a lot.

If the firmware updates were actually as poor as one would learn from reading online posts, DJI would have been out of business quite a while ago - sued silly and market share collapse.

Reactions: R Martin
If you are flying DJI hardware and using DJI software, many people fail to understand the magnitude, scope and thread deployment of those 2 apps. You can add Litchi and AUTOPilot to those as well and others just coming on line.

If you are unaware of how to properly deploy GO and GO 4 to a device and give the app a maximum of processor and memory usage, you will have issues and find a bus to throw someone under. The apps are BEASTS. They need to be. These are ENTERPRISE applications, not "shoot-em-up" video games. I'm sure the CrystalSky implementation was an effort to minimize mucking up the controller environment. The data is still out but they locked down the interface for a reason.

Having spent years writing enterprise level software, I'm always amused about how many people voice negatives about firmware upgrades - "this did this", "everything was fine until ..", "I'm still at 1.1.1 and have no reason to upgrade .. " ...

I have NEVER skipped an upgrade to any of my UAVs, their controllesr or the batteries. The only drone I have lost was a Hubsan 107C+ (I flew it out of range - I think), and have not crashed any of my 4 other UAVS, 3 Phantoms and a Parrot. I plan a lot.

If the firmware updates were actually as poor as one would learn from reading online posts, DJI would have been out of business quite a while ago - sued silly and market share collapse.
I would love to believe that we can update with confidence everytime.

However I worked QA for software for several years. I have seen too many bugs released into the wild to feel confident in ANY update on day 1 by any company. especially in this era of live internet updates.

But yeah in general you should be ok.

I think a little healthy paranoia is a good thing just don't let it rule your life.

Reactions: R Martin
I'd like to kind of piggy-back something here.

Firmware updates have mostly been covered, but what about the DJI Precise Fly Safe Database?

I recall reading that a lot of times it ends up limiting where you can fly (or even launch from) once you get close to certain boundaries/borders of restricted zones and the like. As of now I have been ignoring that pop-up, but I do continue with firmware updates regularly.

I shall continue to update as and when they come out. With the proviso of waiting a little while to see if there any serious issues with the new setup. I will continue to do things by the book, my book, the OM. For now it’s all I have as the CAA are never available to advise on anything as I have discovered. Thank you all for your insights they have been really valuable

I use a separate device, IPHONE 7 Plus, as a ‘sandbox’ to test new updates, and leave my IPads alone with current versions for production work. If the latest version tests OK, then I’ll move to it. If not, I stay put.
I agree, should an accident occur and you’re several versions back, there could be something said. By me documenting my test flight I have proof it was either STABLE or NOT STABLE for use.

I'd like to kind of piggy-back something here.

Firmware updates have mostly been covered, but what about the DJI Precise Fly Safe Database?

I recall reading that a lot of times it ends up limiting where you can fly (or even launch from) once you get close to certain boundaries/borders of restricted zones and the like. As of now I have been ignoring that pop-up, but I do continue with firmware updates regularly.
Anyone willing to comment on the database updates separately from the actual firmware and DJI Go 4?

From personal experience, I can attest that insurance claim is not affected by firmware updates.

Like some, I update a month later. But, I no longer fly with DJI GO, been flying Litchi, GS Pro, and DD mostly.

I only made a mistake by updating early with a none DJI brand that has caused me headaches, and valueable calendar flight hours.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM