Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying near/in a Wildlife Refuge Question

ZBlackwood

Reaction score
First off, thanks in advance for any clarification and help! Second, I believe the answer is no, I can't without special permits or permission and I know in general you can't fly in a National Wildlife Refuge..... I think.

My question stems from my confusion while looking at a couple maps. I have been asked to photograph a house and include some drone photos since this is a waterfront house. When first looking at the address for the place, it definitely falls in the Siletz Bay National Wildlife refuge. When looking at a different map, the Wildlife refuge is broken into smaller parts and the specific location of the house is not within those boundaries, but between.

Here is a screenshot of the map from the ArcGis site provided by the NFWS, which also matches the FAA facility maps. The house is on the eastern most little street within the red box.
SBNWR.png

When looking at DJI's Geo Unlock maps I see this:
DJISBNWR.png

When looking at everyones favorite... Airmap, It mimics the DJI maps.

Am I allowed to fly here? I'd lean towards no since the government maps shade/color the entire area.

It's definitely not in any controlled airspace, just a small airport nearish to be aware if I were to fly in the area.

Thanks!

First off, thanks in advance for any clarification and help! Second, I believe the answer is no, I can't without special permits or permission and I know in general you can't fly in a National Wildlife Refuge..... I think.

My question stems from my confusion while looking at a couple maps. I have been asked to photograph a house and include some drone photos since this is a waterfront house. When first looking at the address for the place, it definitely falls in the Siletz Bay National Wildlife refuge. When looking at a different map, the Wildlife refuge is broken into smaller parts and the specific location of the house is not within those boundaries, but between.

Here is a screenshot of the map from the ArcGis site provided by the NFWS, which also matches the FAA facility maps. The house is on the eastern most little street within the red box.
View attachment 1601

When looking at DJI's Geo Unlock maps I see this:
View attachment 1602

When looking at everyones favorite... Airmap, It mimics the DJI maps.

Am I allowed to fly here? I'd lean towards no since the government maps shade/color the entire area.

It's definitely not in any controlled airspace, just a small airport nearish to be aware if I were to fly in the area.

Thanks!

If there is confusion due to maps, I would err on the side of caution and not do it unless you received specific permission to do so.

I know that area and you shouldn't have a problem as long as you remain outside the wildlife boundaries. No wildlife areas overlap into residential areas that I know of. Also if you want to split hairs the regulation says you may not land, or launch a UAV on their land. Once you are in the air, you are under FAA rules and regulations.

I encountered this at a light house I wanted to film. Drones were not allowed on the lighthouse property. I took off from outside the restricted area, filmed the light house and returned. Ranger came out, I informed him he had no legal right to restrict flights, only takeoffs and landings on their property. To make a long story short, I won.

Who you rely on is a no-brainer. The governing body or a private company? I'll go with the governing body that has regulatory powers any day and twice on Sunday.

While the FAA has exclusive rights over the airspace you run into other agencies who don't play well with others that limit where you can take off and land. By rights and regulations, you can fly legally as long as you don't take off or land in these areas UNLESS the FAA specifically states you can't do that. SHOULD you be operating in these areas is something all together different and that is something you are going to have to answer for yourself.

Reactions: BigAl07
While the FAA has exclusive rights over the airspace you run into other agencies who don't play well with others that limit where you can take off and land. By rights and regulations, you can fly legally as long as you don't take off or land in these areas UNLESS the FAA specifically states you can't do that. SHOULD you be operating in these areas is something all together different and that is something you are going to have to answer for yourself.

I wrote about my experience in flying within wildlife reserve and parks. My son and I has collected b-rolls along Davenport, Sacramento and inside Joshua Tree National park here in California.

I wrote about my first experience in YuneecPilot The California Adventure

Reactions: R Martin
I wrote about my experience in flying within wildlife reserve and parks. My son and I has collected b-rolls along Davenport, Sacramento and inside Joshua Tree National park here in California.

I wrote about my first experience in YuneecPilot The California Adventure

I personally would love to spend a few weeks in Canyonlands and Arches National Parks but alas, I can't use state assets for personal use.

I personally would love to spend a few weeks in Canyonlands and Arches National Parks but alas, I can't use state assets for personal use.

Here is where you would run into problems, I live very close to Yosemite Park. The FAA has put national parks off limits to drones, and that is a shame, there is no sensible reason for it. But the tree huger's won that one.

Years ago I would take people on a overflight of Yosemite including the back country that most tourist never see. Big brother put a stop to that as well. The park once had what was known as the fire fall, it was beautiful, the bleeding hearts put a stop to that as well. I believe 1969 was the last year of the fire fall.

Here is where you would run into problems, I live very close to Yosemite Park. The FAA has put national parks off limits to drones, and that is a shame, there is no sensible reason for it. But the tree huger's won that one.

Years ago I would take people on a overflight of Yosemite including the back country that most tourist never see. Big brother put a stop to that as well. The park once had what was known as the fire fall, it was beautiful, the bleeding hearts put a stop to that as well. I believe 1969 was the last year of the fire fall.

I had to settle for taking everything from terra firma. The summer trip was a task. The winter trip was magical.

Long delay in replying here. Took off for a few days to the Redwoods! I reached out to the Coast Fish and Wildlife office and they basically echoed what the consensus is here. They confirmed that the actual Wildlife refuge area does not extend into residential territory, but is super close in this case. The gentlemen was pretty nice about it and appreciated the call in. I sent an email originally and they called based on that which I appreciated as well.

I cannot take off or land from the Refuge property and if I crash it'd be a big deal they basically said.
They were familiar with not being able to fly over 400' but additionally recommended staying at 250' or higher when flying over sensitive areas.
If I notice any wildlife at all being disturbed to please cease operations and land as quickly as possible.

Now, waiting on a more clear day to actually perform this shoot. Thanks everyone for their input!

Reactions: Ranger
Last edited:
Long delay in replying here. Took off for a few days to the Redwoods! I reached out to the Coast Fish and Wildlife office and they basically echoed what the consensus is here. They confirmed that the actual Wildlife refuge area does not extend into residential territory, but is super close in this case. The gentlemen was pretty nice about it and appreciated the call in. I sent an email originally and they called based on that which I appreciated as well.

I cannot take off or land from the Refuge property and if I crash it'd be a big deal they basically said.
They were familiar with not being able to fly over 400' but additionally recommended staying at 250' or higher when flying over sensitive areas.
If I notice any wildlife at all being disturbed to please cease operations and land as quickly as possible.

Now, waiting on a more clear day to actually perform this shoot. Thanks everyone for their input!

Summer time on the coast is a pain due to the daily marine layer. Late September to December is normally perfect. I normally head up to Fort Bragg, it is centrally located and I have never had an issue flying anywhere around there.

I spend a lot of time in Yosemite in the winter months. Early spring when they open the high country has a millions of photo opportunities. Bears are coming out of hibernation so they can get a little cranky, especially the females, go figure. Always carry bear spray and preferably a minimum of a 44 in the high country.

This is great! Good luck with your flight. I note that noise is the main concern. If your drone is not particularly noisy and nesting season has passed, I don't imagine you could be disturbing wildlife. Not sure, but maybe you don't even have to overfly the refuge, as the house is on its' own private property.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agcopter