Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying near railways - UK

Paullo

Reaction score
Network rail states:
  • You must not fly a drone anywhere near the railway – it could result in a serious accident.
  • It is a criminal offence to fly a drone on, over or within 50 metres of the railway or within 150 metres in built up areas.
  • It is a criminal offence to fly a drone on, over or within 50 metres a railway station or within 150 metres in built up areas.

Is this specific to railways or are Network Rails simply stating the law? Are PFCO holders exempt from the 150m rule for railways in built up areas as stated in CAP 722 para 3.25 which states "The standard CAA permission for SUA/SUSA in the 7 kg or less category allows flight in congested areas to within 50 metres of persons, structures etc. (or within 30 metres if the persons are under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft)" I'm trying to establish if I can fly within 150m of a railway (but not closer than 50m) for a job I'm quoting for (I'm a PFCO holder)

Thanks

Paul

Network rail states:
  • You must not fly a drone anywhere near the railway – it could result in a serious accident.
  • It is a criminal offence to fly a drone on, over or within 50 metres of the railway or within 150 metres in built up areas.
  • It is a criminal offence to fly a drone on, over or within 50 metres a railway station or within 150 metres in built up areas.

Is this specific to railways or are Network Rails simply stating the law? Are PFCO holders exempt from the 150m rule for railways in built up areas as stated in CAP 722 para 3.25 which states "The standard CAA permission for SUA/SUSA in the 7 kg or less category allows flight in congested areas to within 50 metres of persons, structures etc. (or within 30 metres if the persons are under the control of the person in charge of the aircraft)" I'm trying to establish if I can fly within 150m of a railway (but not closer than 50m) for a job I'm quoting for (I'm a PFCO holder)

Thanks

Paul
Being a holder of PfCO - and assuming standard permissions, you (should) know that in order to fly nearer than your standard stand off limitations you will,
1. Either need the permission of the structure, vessel, building owner - in this case Network Rail or
2. Apply, and be granted non standard permissions from the CAA to enable closer proximity flight in a certain weight class.

What also should have come out in your risk assessment, mission planning and site survey is that Network Rail additionally hold certain bylaws which need to be adhered to in order to do any type of mission/flight near or over their properties.

Thanks, but the standard permission allows for flying within congested areas to within 50m of structures - CAP 722 para 3.25

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP 722 Sixth Edition March 2015.pdf

What I'm trying to establish is whether their statement that I've quoted above is simply a statement of the law or whether network rail bylaws are stricter than this.

Drone safety and the law
The latter.
I am well aware of the ANO and how it appertains to UAS operations, having held PfCO or PFAW as it was know for several years.
Try contacting Network Rails Air Operation Team and you will learn they have things tied up tighter than the National Trust for bylaws and their own exemptions/restrictions.

I've finally had a reply from Network Rail. They have said "I can confirm that you are allowed to fly within 150m (but no closer than 50m) to our infrastructure" This is, of course, with a PFCO. The CAA have confirmed the same so any bylaws conform to the ANO

I've finally had a reply from Network Rail. They have said "I can confirm that you are allowed to fly within 150m (but no closer than 50m) to our infrastructure" This is, of course, with a PFCO. The CAA have confirmed the same so any bylaws conform to the ANO
That will depend on weight class of course.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KC5JIM