Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying on a commercial flight with an airband transceiver

captshaq

Reaction score
Hello,

I regularly carry the Yaseu FTA-450 (recommended, by the way) to monitor airband (CTAF and CT airbands of commercial traffic in proximity, but obviously outside of controlled airspace, to where I fly, as well as to learn about airport operations in my area). The reason I chose a transceiver is to be able, in the rare case of a true emergency, be able to transmit if necessary. I keep the device on "PTT lock" which will prevent any erroneous transmissions.

My question is: for those of you who have a similar unit, have you ever had an issue clearing TSA or run into issues with airliners? Obviously the device will be kept powered off in my carry-on at all times during the flight. There's nothing on the TSA list that I was able to find, so I'm a bit concerned that if I simply ask TSA, the answer will be something along the lines of "ah, we don't know, so NO".
If needed, I can certainly check it in my luggage.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Shaq

Have brought my iCom IC-A14 two-way VHF on multiple airline flights no problem in checked luggage. Never occurred to me to be concerned :)

Hello,

I regularly carry the Yaseu FTA-450 (recommended, by the way) to monitor airband (CTAF and CT airbands of commercial traffic in proximity, but obviously outside of controlled airspace, to where I fly, as well as to learn about airport operations in my area). The reason I chose a transceiver is to be able, in the rare case of a true emergency, be able to transmit if necessary. I keep the device on "PTT lock" which will prevent any erroneous transmissions.

My question is: for those of you who have a similar unit, have you ever had an issue clearing TSA or run into issues with airliners? Obviously the device will be kept powered off in my carry-on at all times during the flight. There's nothing on the TSA list that I was able to find, so I'm a bit concerned that if I simply ask TSA, the answer will be something along the lines of "ah, we don't know, so NO".
If needed, I can certainly check it in my luggage.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Shaq

Oh and I would not ask TSA a thing about the radio. My bet is you ask 5 different agents you will get 5 different answers. And in their line of work it is easier to say no than to allow something they are unsure of.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Have brought my iCom IC-A14 two-way VHF on multiple airline flights no problem in checked luggage. Never occurred to me to be concerned :)
Thanks Moosewax. I assumed checked luggage won’t be an issue, but I’d love to take it in carry-on if possible. Wondering if someone had any experience with that.

Shaq

I routinely travel with my aviation transceiver in my carryon bag...never a question or problem. At least I know it won’t get broken by ham-handed baggage personnel.

BESIDES...depending on the type/size of its battery it may be prohibited from checked luggage.

I routinely travel with my aviation transceiver in my carryon bag...never a question or problem. At least I know it won’t get broken by ham-handed baggage personnel.

BESIDES...depending on the type/size of its battery it may be prohibited from checked luggage.

I would have to double check the TSA regs but if my memory serves me as long as the battery is installed in a device it is ok for checked luggage.

I've flown (although not recently) my Yaseu (carry on) many times over the years. I've had to power it on ONE time to indicate it was a functioning piece of electronic equipment a few years ago and that was it.

Remember I stated it's been a while since I flew with mine . . . YMMV

Thanks Rangemaster. It is a relatively small battery (1,800mAh) so I believe that wouldn't be an issue. Shaq

I've flown (although not recently) my Yaseu (carry on) many times over the years. I've had to power it on ONE time to indicate it was a functioning piece of electronic equipment a few years ago and that was it.

Remember I stated it's been a while since I flew with mine . . . YMMV
Thanks BigAI07. I'll certainly update the forum with my experience after my upcoming international flight :)

Shaq

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
parker