Welcome, Commercial Drone Pilots!
Join our growing community today!

Flying over people question

Pauxier

Reaction score
What are the actual definitions of this as far as proximity? I have a job to shoot a company photo of 100 or so employees outside of the building. I won't be directly over them and won't fly over them to compose the shot. I was just wondering if there is a rule of say altitude vs feet away from people?

Basically two rules to follow. Don't fly directly over people, and don't fly in a manner where sudden loss of power would result in a trajectory that would take it into the crowd. I don't know of any hard distances.

I see. So avoid flying towards the crowd when composing the shot. Shouldn't be a problem

Reactions: BigAl07
It's fairly simple... if there is an incident and the aircraft strikes a person on the ground you didn't follow the rules. I think you've got the idea per your last post. That's exactly how we handle this same scenario.

Safe Flights :)

What are the actual definitions of this as far as proximity? I have a job to shoot a company photo of 100 or so employees outside of the building. I won't be directly over them and won't fly over them to compose the shot. I was just wondering if there is a rule of say altitude vs feet away from people?

All we have is the regulation, the Advisory Circular, and hopefully a healthy sense of safety and common sense (what if?)

§ 107.39 Operation over human beings.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:
(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or
(b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

Attachments

• AC_107-2_AFS-1_Signed.pdf
    498.7 KB · Views: 7
All we have is the regulation, the Advisory Circular, and hopefully a healthy sense of safety and common sense (what if?)

§ 107.39 Operation over human beings.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:
(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or
(b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

I went through all that as I was learning for my 107 certificate.

I was curious to see if there was a specific definition.

Technically as soon as we go over about 6 feet we are flying over everyone:)

Directly over would be hard to define as well without measuring.

I guess they don't want to say because then it could be argued

I will use common sense and the regulation to get this done.

The FAA leaves many regulations ambiguous. Then you add the "careless and reckless" and they can get you if they want to. I am brand new to this kind of flying, but in general aviation you just have to use common sense when the regs dont spell it out, my feeling is this is the same.

Reactions: rfaaj and BigAl07
The FAA leaves many regulations ambiguous. Then you add the "careless and reckless" and they can get you if they want to. I am brand new to this kind of flying, but in general aviation you just have to use common sense when the regs dont spell it out, my feeling is this is the same.

In other words they give us enough rope to hang ourselves LOL.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Technically as soon as we go over about 6 feet we are flying over everyone
The only people you would be flying over are the people underneath your drone.
That shouldn't be hard to understand.

Got a vist from the FAA Wednesday at my job site. The main topic was no OP, and as we all know they aren't required by law.
My biggest question to him was part 39. I showed him my last mapping and asked how can I insure I won't overfly someone accidentally.

I got the bureaucratic response that the way 39 is written it is illegal period. However he said if you are making reasonable attempts to insure the safety of people on the job site then I have little to worry about.

I asked him, then does that mean I need not worry about accidental overflights. His comment was,, "that is not what I said."

He wanted to see my log book, and maintenance records and looked over the flights I had done that day. Handed everything back to me and said he seen no problems.

I don't keep my logs with me either. Back in 333 days we did but I don't even think Part 107 has log requirements period (Not saying not to log here).

I don't keep my logs with me either. Back in 333 days we did but I don't even think Part 107 has log requirements period (Not saying not to log here).
Yeah, I kept my logs since my 333; I assumed Perry was referring to an unannounced visit but perhaps it was scheduled, otherwise how would the feds know to show up at his job site.

The aircraft log book always goes with the aircraft as well as your logbook, at least that has always been my understanding. For instance I fly into an airport and the FAA wants to know when the last annual was done and I don't have the logs, guess what, aircraft gets grounded until confirmation.

To be honest I don't know what 107 regs are.

I assumed someone complained about my operations there and he came out in response. He found nothing wrong and was very pleasant person. His request for the logs may have been nothing more than wanting to see if I was keeping them up to date. I showed him both of my licenses.

I didn't ask him what prompted the visit, my schedule there is very well known.

I now have permission to overfly parts of the active college, but at scheduled times and only with an OP. The college supplies the OP from their drone department. That alone may have prompted the visit.

The aircraft log book always goes with the aircraft as well as your logbook, at least that has always been my understanding. For instance I fly into an airport and the FAA wants to know when the last annual was done and I don't have the logs, guess what, aircraft gets grounded until confirmation.

To be honest I don't know what 107 regs are.

I assumed someone complained about my operations there and he came out in response. He found nothing wrong and was very pleasant person. His request for the logs may have been nothing more than wanting to see if I was keeping them up to date. I showed him both of my licenses.

I didn't ask him what prompted the visit, my schedule there is very well known.

I now have permission to overfly parts of the active college, but at scheduled times and only with an OP. The college supplies the OP from their drone department. That alone may have prompted the visit.

Thanks for the reply. With respect, I began flying in 1969 and the operations base of each aircraft (owners) held all maintenance logbooks, pilots were never allowed to take those with them; my pilot log book was always in my flight bag. Haven't flown in a while; maybe things have changed.

Unless 107 changes, IMHO the safest place for my UAS pilot logbook is at my home/office.Thanks for the heads up; I do a lot of construction work and may get a visit some time.

Thanks for the reply. With respect, I began flying in 1969 and the operations base of each aircraft (owners) held all maintenance logbooks, pilots were never allowed to take those with them; my pilot log book was always in my flight bag. Haven't flown in a while; maybe things have changed.

Unless 107 changes, IMHO the safest place for my UAS pilot logbook is at my home/office.Thanks for the heads up; I do a lot of construction work and may get a visit some time.

Same here. We couldn’t take the logs away from the base but my logbook was always in my flight bag (still is for manned).

Part 107 carries no log requirements but you can bet your bottom dollar having them goes a long way if there is an incident.

I always have my Part 107 log “available” via the AirData app.

One exception is if I’m dispatched by ES for a state or Fed level event I have to have my last 12mon of logs in my Go bag along with state credentials.

Reactions: LUIS MARTINEZ
Even in manned piloting, you are not required to carry your log book during the flight. If you are asked by an FAA inspector to see your log book, you can present it later at a predetermined meeting.

C'mon, You guys remember what IS required to be in the airplane as far as paperwork. ;)

ARROW:
Airworthiness Certificate.
Registration Certificate.
Radio Station License (international flights only)
Operating Handbook.
Weight and Balance.

There are specific instances where your log book must be in your possesion during a flight.

• Student pilots MUST carry a logbook.
  • Sport pilots MUST carry a logbook
  • A recreational pilot MUST carry a logbook on all solo flights that exceed 50 nm from where instruction was received, controlled airspace, night operations, and in aircraft for which the pilot does not hold an appropriate category of class rating.
  • Flight instructors with a sport pilot rating to have to carry the logbook when providing flight training.

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaklein91